Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

R.D.

Record Breaker
:disapp: I know that the Olympics isn't the first event Sochi has had, but somehow I'm finding myself less than enthused at the idea of another major FS event in Russia, especially pre-Oly Worlds. Sorry.

I will give them credit for knowing how to play the game, that's for sure. My hunch is that they'll get it, and we'll see "business as usual".

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia would have an excellent shot at winning the ladies and pairs World Championships heading into the 2018 Olympics, but men and ice dance, not so much. They might be tempted to 'engineer' judging and technical panels in those disciplines. No thanks!

Helsinki, please!

nguyenghita

On the Ice
This just destroyed all the hope about Yuna comeback for 2018, haha, she is by no hell want to comeback there once again :laugh:

Anyway, I'm fine with it, beside Sochi skating scandal I think Russia is quite good with organizing, their Worlds 2011 was fine

BusyMom

Medalist
Russia would have an excellent shot at winning the ladies and pairs World Championships heading into the 2018 Olympics, but men and ice dance, not so much. They might be tempted to 'engineer' judging and technical panels in those disciplines. No thanks!

Helsinki, please!
Afraid so. I think they also eye Men & Ice Dance gold too. Think about it! They would try for 4 gold + 1 Team Event (if it still be around). The devious circle might already started without anyone's noticing. Not sure about other discipline but for ladies I'm sure it won't be either Sotnikova or Julia. The new set of little ladies with consistent jumps and spin will be formed before hand. I feel sorry for the Russian team in 2018 OG. Korean attendances will return the favour with some new twists I suppose. They have 4 years to come up with the plan anyway.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Just no. There are many other countries better suited to Worlds, and after the hot mess audiences in Sochi, I would be disgusted if they were awarded another chance to act like that so soon.

noskates

Record Breaker
I completely agree with CSG. It's too difficult for many people to get to Sochi and the crowds at the OLYs bore that out. It needs to be spread around a little. I'd vote for Canada!!!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I completely agree with CSG. It's too difficult for many people to get to Sochi and the crowds at the OLYs bore that out. It needs to be spread around a little. I'd vote for Canada!!!

I wouldn't say Canada, I'd probably say somewhere in Europe (other than France who just had it) - Finland is a good choice, but I wouldn't mind it being in Germany, Great Britain, Switzerland, or even a new one like Spain.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This has become a tradition the last Olympics host gets to host the last Worlds before the next Olympics

2009 USA - host 2002 Olympics
2013 Canada - host 2010 Olympics
2017 Russia ? - host 2014 Olympics

USA also got 2003 worlds after SLC, and Nagano got 1998 Olys / 2002 Worlds
I'm not surprised Russia is bidding for 2017, Sochi went off without a hitch.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Anyway, I'm fine with it, beside Sochi skating scandal I think Russia is quite good with organizing, their Worlds 2011 was fine

Yup, they organized it rather late, too, after the Japanese earthquakes. Russia also held a sold-out worlds in 2005 which was very well-received.

I was actually wondering if Korea would bid for it as a test event for 2018.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I think they try to keep the ice ring for FS and not for other sport as it was planned at the begging (so i read). For this reason, i hope they get to organise it, as many many rings in Russia were shut down. Even in Sankt Petersburg they don't find money to sponsor FS. The more they will bring competitions in Russia, the more interest would they achive between the youngster to start the sport, in media to follow FS and to educate the casual viewer.

desertskates

Medalist
I would assume at that point more flights will have been added from Istanbul. Maybe? Sochi was so built up for the Olympics, so it may become a more popular tourist site.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Yup, they organized it rather late, too, after the Japanese earthquakes. Russia also held a sold-out worlds in 2005 which was very well-received.

I was actually wondering if Korea would bid for it as a test event for 2018.

Like I said, FS in Russia is generally fine.

anyanka

Record Breaker
It's probably a good opportunity to actually visit Sochi for those of us who didn't make it over there. And any "teething problems" re: logistics will be well sorted out before then. The Iceberg Skating Palace looked like a great venue: brand-new and with great sightlines from all angles, from what I saw.

Just to confirm: so far I only hear of Sochi as having a bid for the championships. I didn't see an official news item stating that Helsinki would also be putting in a bid, although I see some discussion over at FSU. Any other cities?

I think the crowd at Sochi 2017 will be different from the OG. It will attract more dedicated skating fans and not just casual sport fans. The atmosphere will be more like 2005 and 2011 worlds and even last fall's Rostelecom, methinks.

mysticice

Rinkside
Please NO!

I've had it with the Russian audience. I want a place where the audience supports all the skaters.
I was in Saitama and the Japanese audience was the best (unlike in Sochi and Nice). It makes such a big difference.

Big Deal

Final Flight
NO!!!
Don't let Russian Federation to play its politicking game again a year before the next Olympics.
They also had the pre-Olympic Worlds in 2005.
This unsportif, unsupportive atmosphere cannot happen again.
Rosss-sssi--jjjaaaa!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
NO!!!!!!! I don't want to see the same CORRUPTION as SOCHI....:bang:

I don't like to jump to conclusions, but I fear suspect judging, too. This past season there were questionable results at both the Grand Prix of Russia and the Olympic Games in Sochi. Russian skaters were given very inflated marks in some portions of the event and their marks grew dramatically in some cases relative to other skaters. I&K were given enormous marks in Sochi (and P&B commented on it afterwards).

At the GP of Russia, B&S were given very generous marks over W&P, and M&K should probably not have finished ahead of G&P. All the Russian teams were given generous levels, whereas all the North American teams took big hits in their marks compared to prior GP events. Both W&P and G&P dropped about 10 points from their previous events.

I don't think we would want to see another event like that, and I can't imagine the skaters from North America or other non-Russian countries would be that enthusiastic about it either.