Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Uh... Sotnikova?
    I meant from an operations and a logistics standpoint, CSG.

As for ticket sales, it's harder to get out there for sure, since most flights would be from Moscow / St. Petersburg and / or the seasonal ones from Germany / Austria.

Custom Title
    I think they try to keep the ice ring for FS and not for other sport as it was planned at the begging (so i read). For this reason, i hope they get to organise it, as many many rings in Russia were shut down. Even in Sankt Petersburg they don't find money to sponsor FS. The more they will bring competitions in Russia, the more interest would they achive between the youngster to start the sport, in media to follow FS and to educate the casual viewer.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I would assume at that point more flights will have been added from Istanbul. Maybe? Sochi was so built up for the Olympics, so it may become a more popular tourist site.

Custom Title
    I hope sochi gets it -in 2014 it was splendiferous!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Yup, they organized it rather late, too, after the Japanese earthquakes. Russia also held a sold-out worlds in 2005 which was very well-received.

I was actually wondering if Korea would bid for it as a test event for 2018.
    Like I said, FS in Russia is generally fine.

Custom Title
    It's probably a good opportunity to actually visit Sochi for those of us who didn't make it over there. And any "teething problems" re: logistics will be well sorted out before then. The Iceberg Skating Palace looked like a great venue: brand-new and with great sightlines from all angles, from what I saw.

Just to confirm: so far I only hear of Sochi as having a bid for the championships. I didn't see an official news item stating that Helsinki would also be putting in a bid, although I see some discussion over at FSU. Any other cities?

I think the crowd at Sochi 2017 will be different from the OG. It will attract more dedicated skating fans and not just casual sport fans. The atmosphere will be more like 2005 and 2011 worlds and even last fall's Rostelecom, methinks.

Rinkside
    Please NO!

I've had it with the Russian audience. I want a place where the audience supports all the skaters.
    I was in Saitama and the Japanese audience was the best (unlike in Sochi and Nice). It makes such a big difference.

Custom Title
    NO!!!
    Don't let Russian Federation to play its politicking game again a year before the next Olympics.
    They also had the pre-Olympic Worlds in 2005.
    This unsportif, unsupportive atmosphere cannot happen again.
    Rosss-sssi--jjjaaaa!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura28a View Post
    NO!!!!!!! I don't want to see the same CORRUPTION as SOCHI....
    I don't like to jump to conclusions, but I fear suspect judging, too. This past season there were questionable results at both the Grand Prix of Russia and the Olympic Games in Sochi. Russian skaters were given very inflated marks in some portions of the event and their marks grew dramatically in some cases relative to other skaters. I&K were given enormous marks in Sochi (and P&B commented on it afterwards).

At the GP of Russia, B&S were given very generous marks over W&P, and M&K should probably not have finished ahead of G&P. All the Russian teams were given generous levels, whereas all the North American teams took big hits in their marks compared to prior GP events. Both W&P and G&P dropped about 10 points from their previous events.

I don't think we would want to see another event like that, and I can't imagine the skaters from North America or other non-Russian countries would be that enthusiastic about it either.

Custom Title
    Can't we just hold Worlds in Japan every year...

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    NO!!!
    Don't let Russian Federation to play its politicking game again a year before the next Olympics.
    They also had the pre-Olympic Worlds in 2005.
    This unsportif, unsupportive atmosphere cannot happen again.
    Rosss-sssi--jjjaaaa!
    IDK... I thought they did a good job with 2005 and 2011 (even with the short notice). Sochi was another story of course, but I think that Russia is capable of hosting a decent Worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Japan is certainly a good location. Canada is also known as a location that is well-liked by the skaters.

Rinkside
    I think NISA is also bidding for Glasgow to host 2017 worlds. Personally I'd love it to be in Scotland. NISA did well with the 2012 EUropean championships so I think they could pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by taka View Post
    I think NISA is also bidding for Glasgow to host 2017 worlds. Personally I'd love it to be in Scotland. NISA did well with the 2012 EUropean championships so I think they could pull it off.
    Glasgow would be wonderful! Personally I think booking a ticket to Scotland is easier than to Sochi. Not to mention I can't speak Russian. So please, Glasgow all the way!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast