Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

humbaba

Final Flight
I expect audiences at international sporting events to be biased in favor of the home-boys and home-girls. I remember the 1974 WC when the German audience protested the scores of a German skater so long and so loudly that Dorothy Hamill, who was on the ice to skate next, was reduced to tears. And wasn't there an incident at the 2010 Olys where the Canadian crowd heckled a Swedish curler to the point of tears? At least the Sochi crowd didn't make anybody cry, at least not publicly.

I'm willing to cut skating audiences some slack when it comes to jingoistic fervor, because I think it's human nature. However, while watching on TV, there were a few times I felt the Sochi audience went too far. For example, the mass exodus from the Men's SP after Plushy withdrew. And the icy response to V/M and D/W in the ice dance FS, apparently because the Russian crowd was hoping for or expecting the coronation of I/K. And worst of all the response to the German pairs team when they fell in the FS. And don't tell me they were applauding to encourage the team after the mistake. It wasn't the supportive, encouraging applause commonly heard when a skater gets up and recovers after a fall. There were cheers and applause the second she hit the ice, making the gold for Russian pairs all but certain.

Russia is a big country and I'm sure there are many regional differences. I wouldn't mind the WC being held elsewhere in Russia, but for me Sochi is tainted for figure skating. I wouldn't like to see the WC held there.

Sara

On the Ice
Well, if I remember well when D&S were waiting for their marks the crowd was shouting Canada, Canada. They skated last, exactly like Yuna.

No, the crowd was not nasty at all. At least from what I could hear from the TV.
There was not an overenthusiastic response but they were polite and applaud her.
They did chant Russia, Russia, but that's not strange at all. Yuna was the last skater and of course they wanted their own skater to win.
Maybe I'm used with football (soccer):biggrin: but this is not what I would call a nasty response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgXKJvTVW9g

I think this discussion should be moved to another thread but I cannot help commenting shortly that personally I do find it very disrespectful when at the Olympics the crowd shouts "Russia" when a non-Russian skater takes the ice / leaves the ice. Also having been in Sochi myself and watching several events live I can say that the majority of the crowd did not applaud many/most of the foreign skaters. This applies to the dance event too (incl. the top 2 teams who skated absolutely amazing programmes and received very lame response from the audience).

To go back to the topic, I would like to see a European country like Spain, UK, Finland or Germany host the Worlds 2017. These countries haven't hosted such event ever (or at least in a long time), whereas the biggest skating powers have hosted worlds more or less every 5-7 years.

Alba

Record Breaker
I think this discussion should be moved to another thread but I cannot help commenting shortly that personally I do find it very disrespectful when at the Olympics the crowd shouts "Russia" when a non-Russian skater takes the ice / leaves the ice. Also having been in Sochi myself and watching several events live I can say that the majority of the crowd did not applaud many/most of the foreign skaters. This applies to the dance event too (incl. the top 2 teams who skated absolutely amazing programmes and received very lame response from the audience).

I think the discussion is alright. This topic was opened for this purpose in the end.
Personally I don't care too much about the crowd to be honest. As I said, I'm used to football and basket.
I'm a Roma football club registered fan so the tifosi attitude it's not news to me and I don't mind that much. :biggrin:
However, since this is figure skating and it's a totally different sport, I very well understand why many people didn't like the Sochi crowd. So, I'm not disputing that, but I think many people didn't like the crowd in part of what happened in Ladies FS.
I don't agree though that they were nasty towards other skaters. Perhaps they were a bit over the top with the nationalist attitude, but we have to blame our media as well for the big part they played in all this.
In anycase, I would not generalize the FS fans in Russia because facts (other WC and ISU competitions organized there), not opinions and personal feelings, tells us a different story.

I would like to see a European country like Spain, UK, Finland or Germany host the Worlds 2017. These countries haven't hosted such event ever (or at least in a long time), whereas the biggest skating powers have hosted worlds more or less every 5-7 years.

I would prefer that. For me it's easier to travel there and in fact I intend to go to Barcellona for the GPF.
By the way, does anyone knows about the tickets for the GPF?

Alba

Record Breaker
However, while watching on TV, there were a few times I felt the Sochi audience went too far. For example, the mass exodus from the Men's SP after Plushy withdrew.

Yeah, I think that was a bit too much.

And the icy response to V/M and D/W in the ice dance FS, apparently because the Russian crowd was hoping for or expecting the coronation of I/K.

It was icy response, but honestly I felt the same for D&W in Vancouver, and I'm a V&M fan. I don't think they were expecting the coronation of I&K because the gold and silver was "safe". They just didn't care too much about V&M and D&W.

And worst of all the response to the German pairs team when they fell in the FS. And don't tell me they were applauding to encourage the team after the mistake. It wasn't the supportive, encouraging applause commonly heard when a skater gets up and recovers after a fall. There were cheers and applause the second she hit the ice, making the gold for Russian pairs all but certain.

I couldn't disagree more on this. To me that was exactly a supportive applause and nothing else.
As for making the gold for Russian pairs all but certain, come-on now, let's not revisionise the stoy. The gold for Russia was already certain after the SP, providing that V&T didn't screw up the FS.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I believe it was mainly the security situation that kept many foreigners from going to Sochi. At least here in Europe that was the case.

And maybe people in other areas of the world (like here in North America) were also reluctant to go to Sochi because of reports of terrorism, anti-gay demonstrations, dog-killing, Putin's corruption, etc. These games got much more negative coverage than any Olympics I can remember over the past 2 decades.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
And maybe people in other areas of the world (like here in North America) were also reluctant to go to Sochi because of reports of terrorism, anti-gay demonstrations, dog-killing, Putin's corruption, etc. These games got much more negative coverage than any Olympics I can remember over the past 2 decades.

I remember the Western media was stirring up the same kind of stuff about the Beijing Olympics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So close. Had you said 3 decades I could have slipped in the 1984 reference much easier. I do wonder how much chocolate rations will be affected? :)

To be fair I do understand a reluctance to have any events in Sochi anytime soon? The way some folks over here are choosing to express it is very disheartening IMO. I'm not supporting any negative social issues etc.. I'm just not one to buy what our media is selling. Ill reiterate my interest in Barcelona. Having two major events there in one quad would really benefit the sport there. I'd suspect a more international crowd and people who make friends at GPF can reconnect a few years later. Win Win Win.

Sochi 2017--too soon?
Sochi 2020--:yes:

YLFan

Match Penalty
I am going to tell once and for all why the Western establishment hates Russia and Putin so much. Its because they threw the global bankers out of Russia. As well as standing in the way of Saudi imperialism. And the Neoleft has waged an all out war on them because they stand up to their social agenda and are pushing Christianity hard.

It is all a charade. It is all nothing but an orchestrated negative propaganda campaign.

The way our establishment did everything they could to poison these games made me embarrassed to be an American. Months and months of pure lies. Disgusting fearmongering to try to scare off attendance. Political analysts here basically openly hoping for terrorism because in their mind it would have 'discredited Putin'. Leading off the Opening Ceremony with a preshow that was nothing but Bob Costas lying about Russia for 45 minutes to try to prime the naive audience to hate them. Sending an army of propagandists to Sochi to look for anything they could to possibly bash them and ignoring the games, venues, athletes, to cover a dirty floor in a non essential media hotel.

Personally even though American, I feel more connection with them.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We should stick to discussing figure skating. I have much love for the Russian people and a great many of their skaters!!!

No need to bring in politics religion etc.. Very divisive stuff. People tend to become warlike.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
We should stick to discussing figure skating. I have much love for the Russian people and a great many of their skaters!!!

No need to bring in politics religion etc.. Very divisive stuff. People tend to become warlike.

I was just going to say that we should get back on topic to FS haha. I think Barcelona is a good idea too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is a Politics forum for discussions of nonskating politic and situations, like the situation in Ukraine. It is inside the Le Cafe forum. This thread is teetering on the edge of being moved there. Please do not insult all Russians for the boorish actions of the crowd in Sochi. Worlds in Moscow, and Cup of Russia in various cities over the years have been well run events, with good audiences.

That said, the response of the audience in the Sochi dance event was so unpleasant that I find it hard to watch my DVR 's of the event. I would not want to see another competition in Sochi for a long time. The use of drums and vuvuzuelas during the programs was particularly disruptive in an event where musicality and ability to skate to the beat is an important part of scoring. The crowd should be able to clap for what they want to clap for, even to the extent of nearly dead silence after wonderful programs, like those of D&W and V&M, have been skated. But chanting Russia when non-Russians were entering the ice or were waiting for their scores was very rude.

I don't know what a federation could reasonably be asked to do to fix a bad crowd, but at least they could be required to confiscate drums and vuvuzuelas at the gate.

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
That said, the response of the audience in the Sochi dance event was so unpleasant that I find it hard to watch my DVR 's of the event.

This is it for me as well - when the crowd's behaviour makes you so uncomfortable that it's hard to rewatch the skates, then there is a big problem. But I also agree that the Olympics brings out people who just don't care, and those people are very unlikely to attend Worlds or any other fs specific event for that matter. 2011 Worlds audience was fine.

That said, I want the 2017 Worlds in Helsinki so that I can go without worrying about flights and hotels :biggrin:

sajoya

On the Ice
I guess some people here could be right about the crowds this time around in Sochi (if they do get it). It might attract the right audience (FS fans that is), but we'll never know. Now with the popularity of their beloved skaters (like Yulia, Adelina, Maxim and T/V) and the immense support for them, it might actually be the same atmosphere just like the Olympics, or possibly worse. Looking forward to the results...

lbc2138

On the Ice
No

Reason being? Audience was just not cool. It's one thing to be happy for your country's skater when they won, but I got chills listening to the way the crowd roared when Yuna's scores came out. It's just so disrespectful to the athletes.

Watching the GP series last year, I don't think any other audience has had that problem. But I guess the Olympics was a little crazy.

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
NOOOOO! I always loved Russian skater and will do in future, but Russian audience with chanting-manner was so displeasing. Of course the Olympics makes People patriotic. I can remember American did too 2002 after the Performance of Ina and Dungeon, and I felt somewhat inpropriate. But they did not do it after the Performance of Skaters from other nations.

Robin Szolkowy said he could notice that the audience cheered excited after his fall at sbs jump. I hope that were only few loud ones among audience.

Another reson? Home cooking! Russia has very promising ladies. And I love some of them already but the thought that these girls will get strong supports from their suspict officials let me feel uncomfortable.
Please no main FS competition in Russia again!

Meoima

Match Penalty
So no petition yet? Blades of Passion must be sick or something?
Not sure if ISU will approve or not. Frankly, I think Russian Fed should leave it for other countries. More diversity I suppose. Scotland or Finland maybe, great idea. German?

whatif

Medalist
Not sure if ISU will approve or not. Frankly, I think Russian Fed should leave it for other countries. More diversity I suppose. Scotland or Finland maybe, great idea. German?

I am sure Russia is not that powerful enough to block other countries from submitting bids. In the end of the day, ISU decides on the merit of the bid. I would be delighted to have it in UK but I am not sure we could afford it. And very few countries can.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
NOOOOO! I always loved Russian skater and will do in future, but Russian audience with chanting-manner was so displeasing. Of course the Olympics makes People patriotic. I can remember American did too 2002 after the Performance of Ina and Dungeon, and I felt somewhat inpropriate. But they did not do it after the Performance of Skaters from other nations.

Robin Szolkowy said he could notice that the audience cheered excited after his fall at sbs jump. I hope that were only few loud ones among audience.

Another reson? Home cooking! Russia has very promising ladies. And I love some of them already but the thought that these girls will get strong supports from their suspict officials let me feel uncomfortable.
Please no main FS competition in Russia again!

What about GPF in Sochi? Or 2011 Worlds in Moscow? Those were completely fine.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am sure Russia is not that powerful enough to block other countries from submitting bids. In the end of the day, ISU decides on the merit of the bid. I would be delighted to have it in UK but I am not sure we could afford it. And very few countries can.
Who knows, Putin could have overpaid ISU. :think: Now that we know ISU needs money more than ever. :p Just kidding, I hope not. But then again, Speedy will have already retired in 2017. A good sign, maybe?
If it's in Moscow then there will be more chances I would go. Sochi is just... too far, too costly.:slink: