Favorite Jumps? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Favorite Jumps?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Meoima

Match Penalty
Wow! Ito's 1990 Worlds LP is my favorite of hers. Full of choreo, and she used her ability to create energy to great effect with the music. Just wow. Why haven't we seen someone who can jump like this since then? She's one of the all-time greats.
That is also my question, I mean how could she jump that high, clean rotation and all? It's like magic!! But then again, she is 1m45. Maybe that height helped her a lot.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Look also at Midori's legs; read one description of it as daikon-like; they can propel her really far up into the air. I think her incredible spring and "explosiveness" is because she has more of those fast-twitch muscles than the usual skater. Though they are built differently, I think Yuzuru is blessed with the same attribute. There has been more than one comment that Yuzuru is like a cat, seemingly lazy, loose, and lax in his movements and then bam! he explodes into a jump. So far, I have been most excited by their jumps. Coincidentally (or not?) they are both from Japan.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Midori Ito got SO MUCH height in her loop jump. It was other worldly. I know some skaters' favorite/best jump is the loop but I have yet to see another one like Ito's. Especially on the backend of a combination. No question about underrotation, she'd almost overrotate it! It is like magic, Meoima. Nicely said. She as 145 cm? That's like 4'7"! I didn't remember her being that small! But still how many people her size jump like her? NONE. She was other worldly. A favorite from my golden years of skatefandom. :)

Maria, it's not just her legs. She had extremely strong basics. So much speed and flow, and it seemed effortless. That helps when you want to go for broke heading into a lutz. I am sad that Ito never won Olympic gold. She is one of the best of all time and she helped advance the sport.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Midori Ito got SO MUCH height in her loop jump. It was other worldly. I know some skaters' favorite/best jump is the loop but I have yet to see another one like Ito's. Especially on the backend of a combination. No question about underrotation, she'd almost overrotate it!
Midori's 2Loop-3Loop in 1988 was fantastic, and I don't care what anyone says about the leg wrap. It's a shame triple-triples weren't allowed back then, or we might have seen Midori do the first 3Lo-3Lo (which of course would put Tara's to shame).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Quad combinations! Bonus points if there's a loop somewhere in the combo. Plush's 4-3-2 and 4-3-3 are amazing. Lambiel also did a perfect textbook 4-3-2 at the Olympics. Chan's quad-triple is a thing of beauty.

In terms of solo jumps: lutz, loop, and axel.

aa456

On the Ice
My favorite is a well-done 3-Lutz is beautiful. A ladies' lutz is preferable. Men, because they tend to be taller and because they are used to rotating much faster (for quads), a 3Lz just becomes kind of awkward-looking. I specifically enjoy lutzes that have a lot of vault to them (i.e. Carolina & Yuna). I also do not like large amount of transitions in front of a lutz. Yuna's 2nd 3Lz in her worlds 2013 Les Mis comes to mind when I think of beauty. She does a very simple transition that extends her body by raising her right leg -- she seemingly gains speed from it also. The transition out is also lovely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6d3XEp6mg0#t=141

Another favorite is 3A. Hanyu and Han yan come to mind here. Bold and brilliant jump.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: When I read the title of this thread, I immediately thought of Yuna's 2nd Lutz at the 2013 worlds. absolutely love it! there's such a snap to it! so crisp but effortless throughout! I also love her 2 axel here. so effortless :love:

i also love Mao's 3Axels. she does them so elegantly! and Carolina's loops are beautiful.

desertskates

Medalist
To do: flip, and my yuck jump is a salchow.

To watch, I don't really have a favorite. It varies by skater.
Triple Axel: Hanyu
Lutz: Yuna
Flip: Carolina
Loop: Ashley
Salchow: Sasha did that fairly well
Double axel: I just don't want any skater to break their own heart by blowing that one

Gliding on ice

Rinkside
About Han Yan, his 3A looks great, but a poster who had watched him live more than once said that Han Yan's jumps do not have much height as PChan and Hanyu. That poster said his jumps look totally different from the video. He jumps across but the height does not look that great. I don't know for sure. I hope I can watch them live to clarify that statement.

The height Han gets on his 3A may not be as magnificent as the distance it covers, but still quite appreciable.

Here is a kinegram of one of his 3A

I am sure watching it live will definitely help clarify any confusions.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The height Han gets on his 3A may not be as magnificent as the distance it covers, but still quite appreciable.

Here is a kinegram of one of his 3A

I am sure watching it live will definitely help clarify any confusions.

On a second thought, I think the poster I mentioned just watched Han Yan when he was on his off days. :laugh: She/he said she watched him more than once. But then, Han Yan is still young so maybe his jumps are not that consistent and she/he happened to watch him when he was inconsistent.