Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Jumps?

I dont' have a favorite jump, it depends on the quality of the jumps. I like Hanyu's 4T, loop . Han's axel

Quote Originally Posted by jimeonji View Post
    3a of course *-* with the men, Hanyu and Yan, inevitably; with the women, Mao's is beautiful when she gets it, and although Midori's was never really elegant like Mao's, I still love watching them - the height! the power! the speed! (and she can still land a great 2a )
    Mao's loop is also a favorite, along with Yuna's lutz; Hanyu or Chan's 4t; I only really like the 4s when Fernandez does it for some reason (maybe seeing Hanyu fall on the 4s too many times)
    This

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimeonji View Post
    3a of course *-* with the men, Hanyu and Yan, inevitably; with the women, Mao's is beautiful when she gets it, and although Midori's was never really elegant like Mao's, I still love watching them - the height! the power! the speed! (and she can still land a great 2a )
    Mao's loop is also a favorite, along with Yuna's lutz; Hanyu or Chan's 4t; I only really like the 4s when Fernandez does it for some reason (maybe seeing Hanyu fall on the 4s too many times)
    I stopped paying attention to skating for a couple of seasons so I didn't know who Hanyu is. But this season I started watching again and Yan has the most gorgeous 3A I've ever seen. The +3 GOEs made me realize I still can recognize good skating. Then I saw Hanyu and his technique is wonderful. I'm not a fan of Mao's 3A, I mean it's great she's the only woman trying it, but it has very little power and like she does on most of her jumps she has a very lazy un-turned out and unstretched free leg on the landing. Nelidina, bless her, had a much better and easier 3axel. Mao is a good edge jumper. Her loop goes up, but again, the landing position is lazy. And when she adds her 1.5/1.5 loop combos with no power it for me makes a very meh impression. Where did Hanyu learn his jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Where did Hanyu learn his jumps?
    In the only public ice rink in Sendai. This is when he was 15 years old, people are skating around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EYy2MaWIs
    He had all of his jumps before he went to Orser. The funny thing is, he went to Orser because of the quads, but his 4S is still inconsistent in the competition. I hope the mental block was removed already. When he landed the 4S it looks not bad at all.

About Han Yan, his 3A looks great, but a poster who had watched him live more than once said that Han Yan's jumps do not have much height as PChan and Hanyu. That poster said his jumps look totally different from the video. He jumps across but the height does not look that great. I don't know for sure. I hope I can watch them live to clarify that statement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    In the only public ice rink in Sendai. This is when he was 15 years old, people are skating around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8EYy2MaWIs
    He had all of his jumps before he went to Orser. The funny thing is, he went to Orser because of the quads, but his 4S is still inconsistent in the competition. I hope the mental block was removed already. When he landed the 4S it looks not bad at all.

About Han Yan, his 3A looks great, but a poster who had watched him live more than once said that Han Yan's jumps do not have much height as PChan and Hanyu. That poster said his jumps look totally different from the video. He jumps across but the height does not look that great. I don't know for sure. I hope I can watch them live to clarify that statement.
    I've also heard Han Yan's 3As do not look as great in person.

Custom Title
    Kim's lutz. Her back-end toe I find okay (except for maybe her 2A-3T), but her lutz is a thing of beauty.

Asada's triple axel (not a powerful or impactful as Ito's- which I love as well, but I like the refinement and the ease. Most ladies go off-axis or wonky mid-jump like Harding or Ito sometimes but when Mao does it well, it's magnificent. Especially in 2007-8 and Vancouver.) AND her triple loop. I live for Mao's triple loop- and that 'there-you-go' gesture she makes after her final jump in the Sochi SP made me scream, 'YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES GIRL! Take it home baby!!!!'

Hanyu's 3A

Takahashi's lutz

Patrick Chan's 4T-3T

Yan Han's 3A for its sheer force, attack and coverage- and he's such a cute little package!

Quote Originally Posted by jkun View Post
    I've also heard Han Yan's 3As do not look as great in person.
    I mean, it's weird, isn't it. How things look different from the video and in real life. I have encountered same situation before. We can only blame/thank the cameramen/camera angle, I suppose.
    Nevertheless, I hope to see Han Yan's 3As in person to confirm the statement by myself.

I will put something different.
    Robin Cousins' single axel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpGOA3l57TY (1980, balletic MJ)

If you interested, this is his "Satan takes a holiday"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7sSuPpmcc

Now you can guess how old I am
    Last edited by lady_bee; 04-25-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: replacing video

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Puchi View Post
    Born to jump. Same program a year later at Worlds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgWI8QDrzQ#t=343.That triple axel is simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOgMe-MpII

On the Ice
    To do:
    loop and lutz

To watch:
    loop and lutz, especially Carolina's

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    Born to jump. Same program a year later at Worlds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgWI8QDrzQ#t=343.That triple axel is simply amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOgMe-MpII
    Wow! Ito's 1990 Worlds LP is my favorite of hers. Full of choreo, and she used her ability to create energy to great effect with the music. Just wow. Why haven't we seen someone who can jump like this since then? She's one of the all-time greats.

Wow! Ito's 1990 Worlds LP is my favorite of hers. Full of choreo, and she used her ability to create energy to great effect with the music. Just wow. Why haven't we seen someone who can jump like this since then? She's one of the all-time greats.
    That is also my question, I mean how could she jump that high, clean rotation and all? It's like magic!! But then again, she is 1m45. Maybe that height helped her a lot.

Custom Title
    ^Look also at Midori's legs; read one description of it as daikon-like; they can propel her really far up into the air. I think her incredible spring and "explosiveness" is because she has more of those fast-twitch muscles than the usual skater. Though they are built differently, I think Yuzuru is blessed with the same attribute. There has been more than one comment that Yuzuru is like a cat, seemingly lazy, loose, and lax in his movements and then bam! he explodes into a jump. So far, I have been most excited by their jumps. Coincidentally (or not?) they are both from Japan.

Midori Ito got SO MUCH height in her loop jump. It was other worldly. I know some skaters' favorite/best jump is the loop but I have yet to see another one like Ito's. Especially on the backend of a combination. No question about underrotation, she'd almost overrotate it! It is like magic, Meoima. Nicely said. She as 145 cm? That's like 4'7"! I didn't remember her being that small! But still how many people her size jump like her? NONE. She was other worldly. A favorite from my golden years of skatefandom.

Maria, it's not just her legs. She had extremely strong basics. So much speed and flow, and it seemed effortless. That helps when you want to go for broke heading into a lutz. I am sad that Ito never won Olympic gold. She is one of the best of all time and she helped advance the sport.

Custard Title
    Midori Ito got SO MUCH height in her loop jump. It was other worldly. I know some skaters' favorite/best jump is the loop but I have yet to see another one like Ito's. Especially on the backend of a combination. No question about underrotation, she'd almost overrotate it!
    Midori's 2Loop-3Loop in 1988 was fantastic, and I don't care what anyone says about the leg wrap. It's a shame triple-triples weren't allowed back then, or we might have seen Midori do the first 3Lo-3Lo (which of course would put Tara's to shame).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast