Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt announce retirement | Golden Skate

Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt announce retirement

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/04/24/73202122

After eight years together, veteran ice dancers Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt have announced their retirement from competition.

"As much as Lynn and I love skating, and probably would continue on as long as we could go, there are a lot of things we want to pursue outside of skating," Giulietti-Schmitt said. "We decided that since we gave it our all for the Olympic year, that ultimately some of our priorities have shifted."

Kriengkrairut is applying to medical school and hopes to enroll in the fall.

"I'm interested in neurology, orthopedic surgery or reconstructive surgery, but a lot could change once I go to school," she said.

Giulietti-Schmitt has been the Basic Skills director at the Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club, and plans to continue coaching. He also wants to go to graduate school and hopes to study environmental remediation or urban planning. (He has a bachelor's degree in geology from Eastern Michigan University.)

Aw, I will miss them. :cry: But sounds like they have a good head on their shoulders! Best of luck to them in the future.

I'll miss them but am glad they have such strong goals. Both of them seem interested in professions that will improve life for people around them.

BusyMom

Medalist
Lynn comes from a very overachievement family. Her father is one of the most successful Thai doctors in the US. My best friend happened to be their family friends. Too bad she doesn't get any recognitions from Thai media (shows how popular FS is in Thailand).

Good luck for both of them. Seems they both will have a bright future outside skating careers.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'll miss them but am glad they have such strong goals. Both of them seem interested in professions that will improve life for people around them.

Yes, it sounds like Lynn is interested in being a medical doctor. And Logan has already done some coaching.

It's not that surprising that they are retiring I guess, since they've been competing for quite a few years now, and it will be challenging for them to get onto the U.S. podium.

So it's good to see they have some other plans laid out for post- skating. :)

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's too bad that Lynn and Logan's retirement thread hasn't gotten very many replies. :frown:

But maybe that demonstrates their challenge - it was hard for them to compete with all the attention and fans that teams like Davis/White, The Shibutanis, Chock/Bates & Hubbell/Donohue got.

slider11

Medalist
Sad but understandable. Lynn and Logan were wonderful stylists and just were a place or two from making a mark in the sport. But I loved their fluidity and line and they will be missed.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
It's too bad that Lynn and Logan's retirement thread hasn't gotten very many replies. :frown:

But maybe that demonstrates their challenge - it was hard for them to compete with all the attention and fans that teams like Davis/White, The Shibutanis, Chock/Bates & Hubbell/Donohue got.

Well, gosh, didn't it only start today?

Still, I alway thought they were a typically underscored pair. Ice Dancing is more vulnerable than other figure skating disciplines to judging abuses, due to the extremely technical knowledge and perception needed to judge it. K&G-S, in my view, suffered from not fitting the model of acceptability in Ice Dance, neither in the US nor internationally. They are another casualty of systematic and pervasive terrible judging in figure skating.

caitie

Medalist
Aw, that's too bad. I thought they deserved fifth place at Nationals, personally. I wish them both luck in the future!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, gosh, didn't it only start today?

Yes, I know, but some threads seem to get hundreds of replies within just a few hours. ;) Look at the I&K thread! Granted, that one has a lot of scandal, excitement and soap opera involved, but hopefully this one will get a bit more attention. :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
So sad to see them go. But I wish all the best for them. They were great dancers.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will miss them, but wish them all the best in their futures. They were a joy to watch on the ice.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was wondering last year how they would have done if they had made the move to Igor Shpilband earlier. Ah, a great what if... Still, they were always a joy to watch and I will miss them.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Their Adele program is one of my favorites. I will miss them. And while Igor may have more "clout" than their previous coaches, I thought the "spark" that set them apart was missing this past year. Here is a link to 2013 Nationals and their toe tapping performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3q9ZqEtCg

Lynn comes from a very overachievement family. Her father is one of the most successful Thai doctors in the US. My best friend happened to be their family friends. Too bad she doesn't get any recognitions from Thai media (shows how popular FS is in Thailand).

Good luck for both of them. Seems they both will have a bright future outside skating careers.

Thanks for the interesting details about Lynn's family. I was looking at this couple's surnames and realizing that we really do achieve a global village sometimes. The name Giulietti-Schmitt has Italian and German elements, and Kriengkrairut is Thai, and somehow everyone met and the result was a successful skating team. Until a few generations ago, that wasn't even possible. We are moving forward, even if sometimes it seems as if it's only by inches at a time.

I'm sorry that the Thai media isn't reporting on her. One of my favorite pairs skaters, Amanda Evora, got lots of recognition from the American-Filipino press when she was competing, and I suspect she received some notice in the Philippines as well. A few years ago, when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, she invited Amanda to a luncheon honoring the current president of the Philippines. I'll bet that got written up in both countries.

BusyMom

Medalist
Thanks for the interesting details about Lynn's family. I was looking at this couple's surnames and realizing that we really do achieve a global village sometimes. The name Giulietti-Schmitt has Italian and German elements, and Kriengkrairut is Thai, and somehow everyone met and the result was a successful skating team. Until a few generations ago, that wasn't even possible. We are moving forward, even if sometimes it seems as if it's only by inches at a time.

I'm sorry that the Thai media isn't reporting on her. One of my favorite pairs skaters, Amanda Evora, got lots of recognition from the American-Filipino press when she was competing, and I suspect she received some notice in the Philippines as well. A few years ago, when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, she invited Amanda to a luncheon honoring the current president of the Philippines. I'll bet that got written up in both countries.

I have no idea that Evora is Filipino-American. I only saw them during the Vancouver, since I'm not really into Pair skates. I guess Filipino-Americans have more strong bond to the mother country than any Asian countries. I found it very admirable of the Filipino both the media and in general to honour every aspects of their people success.

I guess in the next few years American skaters will be more versatile than ever. Almost half of the kids in Novice and Juveniles are Asian descendants. I would love to see kids from Hispanic or African-American add to the mix more though. That will be very interesting to see more diversity in the high level skaters.

lcd

Match Penalty
Wishing both Lynn and Logan all the best as they move forward with their lives and pursue interests outside of competitive skating.
Have always enjoyed their skating, sunny personalities and good sportsmanship

:clap::clap:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! Took some nice screen shots from that vid....I like the lift at 2:11 and Logan's split.
I am not sure I have a favorite skate from them but I always wished they would have done the secondary love story from "South Pacific." Younger than Springtime, Happy talk, Some enchanted evening...would have been a great show piece....

Their Adele program is one of my favorites. I will miss them. And while Igor may have more "clout" than their previous coaches, I thought the "spark" that set them apart was missing this past year. Here is a link to 2013 Nationals and their toe tapping performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3q9ZqEtCg