Lillehamer Revisited | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lillehamer Revisited

AngelENTL

On the Ice
Not only practice, but also in games. And his signature on my hat! :)
The hat is now sacred! lol

If you love tennis then the best opportunity to see all players up close and personal is to go to Indian Wells tournament. It's in Palm Springs every March!

Thanks for the tip! I will have to go to IW soon so that I can meet Federer before he retires. (And so that he can fall in love with me and our destiny together can come to fruition, but that's secondary...)

ANYWAY, back to skating...

BlackPack

Medalist
If anyone is interested and hasn't seen it, there's a long thread about the '94 Olys on FSUniverse. Lots of discussion re: ice dance judging and also the M/D relationship. Oh, the drama... ;)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...hammer-Controversial-Results-across-the-Board!

Thanks for the link, but there wasn't much M&D talk. It was mostly about G&P vs T&D vs U&Z with a bit of this and that thrown in. Even Roca and Sur were being talked about.... it really wasn't that interesting. Which is why I prefer GS :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Even if Brasseur/Eisler were completely clean, there was no way the judges would have put them any higher than bronze as long as G/G and M/D didn't bomb their programs. Brasseur/Eisler had some really strong elements, but their basic skating quality (as well as qualities like polish, etc. which were especially valued under 6.0 pairs) was miles below G/G and M/D. B/E just weren't at the same level, and there was no way they were going to win in 1994 when the professionals came back (and based on Lloyd's grumbling about the pros coming back, he knew it too). If the judges let G/G with mistakes win over a clean M/D, they were 100% going to do the same for B/E.

Even though their split 3twist and lifts were awesome, I still think that Isabelle Brasseur is the worst skater ever to win an Olympic medal. She'd two foot her throw jumps, and frankly her singles jumps looked like mine when I started skating. Just awful. I do not think she was capable of good posture and pulling her shoulders and arms back were just a fantasy. She was and always will be awful. I was for Shishkova and Naumov for bronze.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for the link, but there wasn't much M&D talk. It was mostly about G&P vs T&D vs U&Z with a bit of this and that thrown in. Even Roca and Sur were being talked about.... it really wasn't that interesting. Which is why I prefer GS :)

Sorry you were disappointed; thought I saw M/D discussion there but may have been thinking about another thread. I did find the thread interesting, though, aside from the Kerrigan bashing, which seemed unnecessarily snarky to me. JMO.

AngelENTL

On the Ice
Yeah, lots and lots of ice dancing debating going on in that thread, but I found it entertaining nonetheless, so thank you for the heads up, skatedreamer. I know it was snarky - and I actually thought her hairstyle was just fine - but the comment on Yuka Sato's Fantastic Sam's haircut made me laugh. Speaking of Sato, there were more than a couple posters there who felt she should have won the free skate. I really enjoy her skating in general, but I thought that was a stretch. I don't know if there was a triple jump or double axel in that program that deserved positive GOE, though I have to say I love her entrances into loops and salchows.

BlackPack

Medalist
Sorry you were disappointed; thought I saw M/D discussion there but may have been thinking about another thread. I did find the thread interesting, though, aside from the Kerrigan bashing, which seemed unnecessarily snarky to me. JMO.

Hey no worries ;) It's FSU after all. Snark is the rigeuer du jour

BlackPack

Medalist
Not sure that I'd call Natalia the most beautiful, but she's definitely up there near the top. I had no idea that she & Alexei had been an item; also didn't know she was living in the US. In terms of looks during that era, my pick would be Usova & Zhulin -- I thought both of them were just drop-dead gorgeous. Sadly, he hasn't aged well. As for all that partner-swapping and his affairs... :rolleye:

Someone once commented to me about Alexei's looks and said he was serious eye candy. Not to me, but maybe it was his costumes, most of which always looked incredibly tacky to me. But those darn gloves were the worst. Yikes!

Urmanov has the dark looks but he also seems like a wonderful guy. The boy next door. The kind of would commit. (well I've definitely been wrong about men so it's just all projection):laugh:

Natalia's beauty was very unusual. Belarussian, Russian, or anything near the borders have unbelievable genes. Indeed, out of many places I've been to, I was astounded by the beauty of Russian women. (Meh to all other places)

Manitou

Medalist
Natalia's beauty was very unusual. Belarussian, Russian, or anything near the borders have unbelievable genes. Indeed, out of many places I've been to, I was astounded by the beauty of Russian women. (Meh to all other places)

They have very unique eyes. Western European eyes are often bland. They can be beautiful too, like deep brown, almost black, Spanish eyes, or clear blue surrounded by flaming red hair in Irish women. Or blue on freckled faces in the Dutch. It's very beautiful too. But Russian is different. They look European, but the shape of the eyes borders Asian, yet still retaining the European color. And the faces are more rounded. And the eyelashes are deeper and beautifully shaped.
I am not an anthropologist, but instinctively I can tell a Russian from a non-Russian. They are also different in behavior. More distinct, proud and distant. They don't have the same kind of directness the Western women have.
Compare Natalia's eyes with Yulia's. They are almost the same in shape. Yulia's eyes are even more distinct, more Asian-Russian.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Urmanov has the dark looks but he also seems like a wonderful guy. The boy next door. The kind of would commit. (well I've definitely been wrong about men so it's just all projection):laugh:

Hey, you know who "said" that to me about Urmanov's gorgeous looks (or something to that effect)? It was you! In a GS thread a few months ago. :biggrin:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree re: looks but I can sort of buy the "boy next door" thing. But here's hoping he's gotten rid of anything in his wardrobe resembling those gawdawful white gloves, though... :laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
Hey, you know who "said" that to me about Urmanov's gorgeous looks (or something to that effect)? It was you! In a GS thread a few months ago. :biggrin:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree re: looks but I can sort of buy the "boy next door" thing. But here's hoping he's gotten rid of anything in his wardrobe resembling those gawdawful white gloves, though... :laugh:

You have to get over his 90s competition wardrobe :laugh: Have you seen this guy in a suit as a coach these days? :love:

You have to get over his 90s competition wardrobe :laugh: Have you seen this guy in a suit as a coach these days? :love:

I've always found him handsome, and when he was interviewed after his win, he seemed both articulate and modest. I liked him a lot, though I didn't warm to his costumes either. I'll have to look for more recent pictures on Google Images.

I was sorry when his career was cut short by injuries, because he had a lot going for him in terms of technique and style. It's good that he's still involved in skating.

BlackPack

Medalist
I've always found him handsome, and when he was interviewed after his win, he seemed both articulate and modest. I liked him a lot, though I didn't warm to his costumes either. I'll have to look for more recent pictures on Google Images.

I was sorry when his career was cut short by injuries, because he had a lot going for him in terms of technique and style. It's good that he's still involved in skating.

Ladies and gents, I had to sit through Voronov's splatfests to get these screen captures. ;):slink: (To be fair he has wonderful qualities that are unfortunately eclipsed by his inconsistencies. I can see that Urmanov worked very hard to train him well, but I can sense Urmanov's exasperation, "Now I know how Mishin feels to have a pupil (just about everyone who isn't Plushenko) who doesn't live up to expectations") While we're debating Urmanov's hotness, let's just say please say I'm right.;) It will make me feel better and I need it... tough tough tough week.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25jz3fo&s=8#.U2XD_a1dWDE

http://i58.tinypic.com/i6e5j9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGHhA9OHHI Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOS7Sxd07c Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hkUX2xP5w (Profile and Interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaltVHf80I How he is with female students.... I would like him to comfort me:laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
So true. Not even remotely the same kind of magic.

I remember I was adamantly against Kazakova because I was such a Natalia fan. I do appreciate K&D more now. I especially loved their Olympic 98 FD. I thought Artur matured as a person and their skating reflected this new found maturity. Handel's piece was haunting. Although they did moves that were the same as M&D, the vibe was so different. The style was less showy. More austere.

Ladies and gents, I had to sit through Voronov's splatfests to get these screen captures. ;):slink: (To be fair he has wonderful qualities that are unfortunately eclipsed by his inconsistencies. I can see that Urmanov worked very hard to train him well, but I can sense Urmanov's exasperation, "Now I know how Mishin feels to have a pupil (just about everyone who isn't Plushenko) who doesn't live up to expectations") While we're debating Urmanov's hotness, let's just say please say I'm right.;) It will make me feel better and I need it... tough tough tough week.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25jz3fo&s=8#.U2XD_a1dWDE

http://i58.tinypic.com/i6e5j9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGHhA9OHHI Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOS7Sxd07c Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hkUX2xP5w (Profile and Interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaltVHf80I How he is with female students.... I would like him to comfort me:laugh:

Thanks for your labors, BP. I'm sorry you had such a bad week. That's one of the things that skating is for: to keep us afloat when we'd otherwise be drowning in adversity.

Urmanov seems to be one of those people who becomes more likable and more admirable the more one learns about him. I will remain a fan!

Panpie

On the Ice
Urmanov has barely aged since Lillehamer. He looks mature, but in a nice way. Thanks for the pics and vids, Blackpack! :) Hope the week to come goes better for you.

BlackPack

Medalist
Thanks for your labors, BP. I'm sorry you had such a bad week. That's one of the things that skating is for: to keep us afloat when we'd otherwise be drowning in adversity.

Urmanov seems to be one of those people who becomes more likable and more admirable the more one learns about him. I will remain a fan!

Big hugs to you Oly! :biggrin:

Skating has helped me pass through many obstacles. That is why some skaters are like family to me.

I thought Urm was too intimate with Nikol Gosviani in the last video for my liking. He's a family man! I know why Mishin refused to coach females until recently now - physical attraction between men and women make it difficult to remain professional.

Urmanov has barely aged since Lillehamer. He looks mature, but in a nice way. Thanks for the pics and vids, Blackpack! :) Hope the week to come goes better for you.

Thanks Panpie :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hey there, BlackPack! Haven't been here for a few days and very sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I'm a bit up against it myself at the moment, so will watch the videos as a welcome escape.

Hope things are looking up for you. Keep the faith!

Seruleane

Final Flight
Lillehammer was my first Olympics- I was 11 years old and loved Oksana. Her skating had this magical quality, and the Black Swan SP remains my favorite women's SP. The only other skater who I really fell in love with was Daisuke Takahashi years later, and interestingly enough, his Turbo Swan program is my favorite men's SP. I was also rooting for Alexei Urmanov those olympics- my mom and I called him "the prince" b/c of his costumes...I never minded them, and was annoyed the commentators kept making fun of them. On a side note, it's amazing Mishin looks the same all these years later. Anyway, lillehammer was the only olympics where both my favorite male and female skaters won Olympic Gold, so it remains my favorite Olympics.

Components

Match Penalty
Oksana's SP was amazing, but her exhibition is one of the best ever performances ever, for me.

BlackPack

Medalist
Hey there, BlackPack! Haven't been here for a few days and very sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I'm a bit up against it myself at the moment, so will watch the videos as a welcome escape.

Hope things are looking up for you. Keep the faith!

Thank you dear! :yay: I hope things look up for you too. Were they enough to make you like Urm a bit better? :biggrin:

Lillehammer was my first Olympics- I was 11 years old and loved Oksana. Her skating had this magical quality, and the Black Swan SP remains my favorite women's SP. The only other skater who I really fell in love with was Daisuke Takahashi years later, and interestingly enough, his Turbo Swan program is my favorite men's SP. I was also rooting for Alexei Urmanov those olympics- my mom and I called him "the prince" b/c of his costumes...I never minded them, and was annoyed the commentators kept making fun of them. On a side note, it's amazing Mishin looks the same all these years later. Anyway, lillehammer was the only olympics where both my favorite male and female skaters won Olympic Gold, so it remains my favorite Olympics.

I never really minded Urm's costumes during his competitive days, but his costumes in the Professional Championships were quite excessive. I remember the commentators especially Kurt Browning making fun of his costumes. In the 1994 Worlds Kurt just slammed Urm's costumes, skating, jumps, etc.:disapp: Made me even more of a fan!