Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lillehamer Revisited

Banned
    Nancy had some artistry in her skating but her 94 LP sure as heck didnt have any. What a travesty that junk program was. She even started bunny hopping around at one point, ugh. Had she skated any of her previous long programs as well as she did that one, she would have won for sure that night.

Custom Title
    M/D should have won. Those two programs were everything. From concepts to executions. Their performances stand the test of time. Would be competitive even by the standard today.

When was the last time anyone's ever seen a pair team put together amazing SP and LP? Choreographically, that was the peak of pair skating. You can compare the programs by the medalists this year to M/D's SP and LP and see how innovative and passionate M/D were.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Oh please tell us more real stories!!!!

Some judges don't even go to practices. Didn't John Curry even say that some judges don't even watch the competitions
    This is a TRUE story of which I have VIDEO evidence ....

I competed in Ann Arbor, MI in singles competition and bought the video of the entire competition of 15 skaters. The judges were on an elevated platform placed in the penalty box, and they are visible in the video for 90% of the program.

One judge - Ms. Ida Takeoka - Judge #4 was ASLEEP during my program. Totally asleep and awakened for her marks by the judge next to her. For some reason, her scores were in line with my other scores and placements.

She is MAGIC! Judging with eyes closed, fast asleep......

Medalist
    I remember being pretty happy with all the winners - except I was sorely disappointed that Kurt Browning fell apart. I'd wanted him to win so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    This is a TRUE story of which I have VIDEO evidence ....

I competed in Ann Arbor, MI in singles competition and bought the video of the entire competition of 15 skaters. The judges were on an elevated platform placed in the penalty box, and they are visible in the video for 90% of the program.

One judge - Ms. Ida Takeoka - Judge #4 was ASLEEP during my program. Totally asleep and awakened for her marks by the judge next to her. For some reason, her scores were in line with my other scores and placements.

She is MAGIC! Judging with eyes closed, fast asleep......
    Thank you for your story, Sk8Boi! I love real life stories, since unfortunately most of us on these forums can only speculate. It must have hurt that she slept through your performance? I would have been fuming! (No Fumie puns intended)

FYI this John Curry's interview regarding his views judging. Sad that not much has changed in 40 years. Skip to Minute 4 or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv9M3rsDchU

This interview showed a man who was not only balletic perfection incarnate but also revolutionized skating. He said he won the OGM so he could bring theater and ballet to the ice. OGM was a means to an end, not the end itself for Curry. He seemed to be introverted and tortured, yet he was a skating genius. He had vision for what he wanted to accomplish and the intelligence to strategize to get what he wanted. While many skaters today are great skaters, I doubt they're as effective as strategists the way Curry was.

Custom Title
    There are two negative things from 1994 that stick to my memory:
    - anger at Tonya for screwing up my all time fave Josee.
    - my pure contempt and disgust at Urmanov's white lace gloves.

The rest gives me rather positive feelings. G/G vs M/D was 50-50, so whatever the outcome it would be the same emotions. B/E were without any chances.
    I didn't care much about dance, and I was really inspired by Oksana's win. I was so hoping she would be continuing her career, possibly becoming the best in history. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Oh please tell us more real stories!!!!

Some judges don't even go to practices. Didn't John Curry even say that some judges don't even watch the competitions
    Some judges like to watch practices, some don't, but for some, poor practices could cement a judge's opinion of a skater's program/ability. I had to report on (mostly of the top skaters/teams) who did solid practices, and those who had difficulties, and I also had to do the "jump" sheets - now called "element sheets." Currently skaters/teams or their coaches send in element sheets to the ISU ahead of time.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    There are two negative things from 1994 that stick to my memory:
    - anger at Tonya for screwing up my all time fave Josee.
    - my pure contempt and disgust at Urmanov's white lace gloves.

The rest gives me rather positive feelings. G/G vs M/D was 50-50, so whatever the outcome it would be the same emotions. B/E were without any chances.
    I didn't care much about dance, and I was really inspired by Oksana's win. I was so hoping she would be continuing her career, possibly becoming the best in history. Unfortunately it didn't happen.
    First, sincere apologies for jumping on you yesterday re: "elitism" in another thread. I should have given more thought to my post.

What we can agree on, though, is those gloves of Urmanov's -- they totally turned me off, too!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    First, sincere apologies for jumping on you yesterday re: "elitism" in another thread. I should have given more thought to my post.

What we can agree on, though, is those gloves of Urmanov's -- they totally turned me off, too!
    Oh, I didn't even notice anybody "jumping" at me. I think the conversation was perfectly fine!

Coming back to 1994: didn't Urmanov date Mishkutenok back then? I heard something like that, but I am not sure it's true. If so, it will add salt to injury: stealing the most gorgeous woman who ever appeared in figure skating!
    Natalia lives in Colorado now and is really really not married to Urmanov! Actually, it's interesting. I remember an interview with Natalia back then when she could not articulate a single word in English. And now she landed in Colorado. I wish to go there and maybe ask for a photo with an autograph. It's just two states away...

OK, to be completely honest, if you take away the lace Alexei had a potential to be good looking. But that lace!

P.S. I was wrong. Natalia currently lives in Texas. But I was right about Colorado too, because she lived there before Texas.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Oh, I didn't even notice anybody "jumping" at me. I think the conversation was perfectly fine!

Coming back to 1994: didn't Urmanov date Mishkutenok back then? I heard something like that, but I am not sure it's true. If so, it will add salt to injury: stealing the most gorgeous woman who ever appeared in figure skating!
    Natalia lives in Colorado now and is really really not married to Urmanov! Actually, it's interesting. I remember an interview with Natalia back then when she could not articulate a single word in English. And now she landed in Colorado. I wish to go there and maybe ask for a photo with an autograph. It's just two states away...

OK, to be completely honest, if you take away the lace Alexei had a potential to be good looking. But that lace!

P.S. I was wrong. She currently lives in Texas. But I was right about Colorado too, because she lived there before Texas.

Not sure that I'd call Natalia the most beautiful, but she's definitely up there near the top. I had no idea that she & Alexei had been an item; also didn't know she was living in the US. In terms of looks during that era, my pick would be Usova & Zhulin -- I thought both of them were just drop-dead gorgeous. Sadly, he hasn't aged well. As for all that partner-swapping and his affairs...

Someone once commented to me about Alexei's looks and said he was serious eye candy. Not to me, but maybe it was his costumes, most of which always looked incredibly tacky to me. But those darn gloves were the worst. Yikes!

Rinkside

P.S. I was wrong. Natalia currently lives in Texas. But I was right about Colorado too, because she lived there before Texas.
    I remember seeing some showing about Natalia watching his competition but there was not any coverage on their relationship that I could recall hearing about. I wonder who broke her heart, Urmanov or Dmitriev????

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Not sure that I'd call Natalia the most beautiful, but she's definitely up there near the top. I had no idea that she & Alexei had been an item; also didn't know she was living in the US.
    I know a few years ago, some time around 2009, Natalia was coaching students in Dallas TX because the local news did a piece on her.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I know a few years ago, some time around 2009, Natalia was coaching students in Dallas TX because the local news did a piece on her.
    I live in Dallas , have wanted to go to the ice rink where she coaches but can't find an excuse (or the time).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    I live in Dallas , have wanted to go to the ice rink where she coaches but can't find an excuse (or the time).
    Well, isn't wanting to see Natalia a good excuse?

Rinkside
    Well, isn't wanting to see Natalia a good excuse?
    It's a perfect excuse but what should I say - "I'm a big fan ". I'm sure she'd rather have her privacy. Was hoping I had a granddaughter old enough to learn how to skate, I will definitely have Natalia be the coach, but so far no grandbaby yet. My son and his wife are fs fans and my son has said he would like for his daughter to learn skating - his very own words "I want a jumping robot like Julia Lipnitskia" - no offense rather admiration from his part. Sorry off subject a bit, he is very well aware that I'm a big M&D fan and he was the one seeking out Natalia's whereabouts from the internet. Back to 1994 Lillehammer, heartbroken that M&D did not win but G&G was a deserving choice. I'm happy that M&D gave it their best and that Natalia overcame her depression and delivered two perfect programs. I remember a comment Tracy Wilson made in which Natalia stated that the reason she wanted to come back was because she wanted to skate her best. Referring to her OGM in 92 as her best she said she was not - she had two mistakes in the long program - two footed her jump and single her axel (if my memories serve me right), she was perfect in 1994 despite their placement.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast