Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lillehamer Revisited

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    Not only practice, but also in games. And his signature on my hat!
    The hat is now sacred! lol

If you love tennis then the best opportunity to see all players up close and personal is to go to Indian Wells tournament. It's in Palm Springs every March!
    Thanks for the tip! I will have to go to IW soon so that I can meet Federer before he retires. (And so that he can fall in love with me and our destiny together can come to fruition, but that's secondary...)

ANYWAY, back to skating...

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    If anyone is interested and hasn't seen it, there's a long thread about the '94 Olys on FSUniverse. Lots of discussion re: ice dance judging and also the M/D relationship. Oh, the drama...

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ross-the-Board!
    Thanks for the link, but there wasn't much M&D talk. It was mostly about G&P vs T&D vs U&Z with a bit of this and that thrown in. Even Roca and Sur were being talked about.... it really wasn't that interesting. Which is why I prefer GS :-)

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Even if Brasseur/Eisler were completely clean, there was no way the judges would have put them any higher than bronze as long as G/G and M/D didn't bomb their programs. Brasseur/Eisler had some really strong elements, but their basic skating quality (as well as qualities like polish, etc. which were especially valued under 6.0 pairs) was miles below G/G and M/D. B/E just weren't at the same level, and there was no way they were going to win in 1994 when the professionals came back (and based on Lloyd's grumbling about the pros coming back, he knew it too). If the judges let G/G with mistakes win over a clean M/D, they were 100% going to do the same for B/E.
    Even though their split 3twist and lifts were awesome, I still think that Isabelle Brasseur is the worst skater ever to win an Olympic medal. She'd two foot her throw jumps, and frankly her singles jumps looked like mine when I started skating. Just awful. I do not think she was capable of good posture and pulling her shoulders and arms back were just a fantasy. She was and always will be awful. I was for Shishkova and Naumov for bronze.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    Thanks for the link, but there wasn't much M&D talk. It was mostly about G&P vs T&D vs U&Z with a bit of this and that thrown in. Even Roca and Sur were being talked about.... it really wasn't that interesting. Which is why I prefer GS :-)
    Sorry you were disappointed; thought I saw M/D discussion there but may have been thinking about another thread. I did find the thread interesting, though, aside from the Kerrigan bashing, which seemed unnecessarily snarky to me. JMO.

On the Ice
    Yeah, lots and lots of ice dancing debating going on in that thread, but I found it entertaining nonetheless, so thank you for the heads up, skatedreamer. I know it was snarky - and I actually thought her hairstyle was just fine - but the comment on Yuka Sato's Fantastic Sam's haircut made me laugh. Speaking of Sato, there were more than a couple posters there who felt she should have won the free skate. I really enjoy her skating in general, but I thought that was a stretch. I don't know if there was a triple jump or double axel in that program that deserved positive GOE, though I have to say I love her entrances into loops and salchows.

Sorry you were disappointed; thought I saw M/D discussion there but may have been thinking about another thread. I did find the thread interesting, though, aside from the Kerrigan bashing, which seemed unnecessarily snarky to me. JMO.
    Hey no worries It's FSU after all. Snark is the rigeuer du jour

Not sure that I'd call Natalia the most beautiful, but she's definitely up there near the top. I had no idea that she & Alexei had been an item; also didn't know she was living in the US. In terms of looks during that era, my pick would be Usova & Zhulin -- I thought both of them were just drop-dead gorgeous. Sadly, he hasn't aged well. As for all that partner-swapping and his affairs...

Someone once commented to me about Alexei's looks and said he was serious eye candy. Not to me, but maybe it was his costumes, most of which always looked incredibly tacky to me. But those darn gloves were the worst. Yikes!
    Urmanov has the dark looks but he also seems like a wonderful guy. The boy next door. The kind of would commit. (well I've definitely been wrong about men so it's just all projection)

Natalia's beauty was very unusual. Belarussian, Russian, or anything near the borders have unbelievable genes. Indeed, out of many places I've been to, I was astounded by the beauty of Russian women. (Meh to all other places)

Custom Title
    Natalia's beauty was very unusual. Belarussian, Russian, or anything near the borders have unbelievable genes. Indeed, out of many places I've been to, I was astounded by the beauty of Russian women. (Meh to all other places)
    They have very unique eyes. Western European eyes are often bland. They can be beautiful too, like deep brown, almost black, Spanish eyes, or clear blue surrounded by flaming red hair in Irish women. Or blue on freckled faces in the Dutch. It's very beautiful too. But Russian is different. They look European, but the shape of the eyes borders Asian, yet still retaining the European color. And the faces are more rounded. And the eyelashes are deeper and beautifully shaped.
    I am not an anthropologist, but instinctively I can tell a Russian from a non-Russian. They are also different in behavior. More distinct, proud and distant. They don't have the same kind of directness the Western women have.
    Compare Natalia's eyes with Yulia's. They are almost the same in shape. Yulia's eyes are even more distinct, more Asian-Russian.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Urmanov has the dark looks but he also seems like a wonderful guy. The boy next door. The kind of would commit. (well I've definitely been wrong about men so it's just all projection)

Hey, you know who "said" that to me about Urmanov's gorgeous looks (or something to that effect)? It was you! In a GS thread a few months ago.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree re: looks but I can sort of buy the "boy next door" thing. But here's hoping he's gotten rid of anything in his wardrobe resembling those gawdawful white gloves, though...

Hey, you know who "said" that to me about Urmanov's gorgeous looks (or something to that effect)? It was you! In a GS thread a few months ago.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree re: looks but I can sort of buy the "boy next door" thing. But here's hoping he's gotten rid of anything in his wardrobe resembling those gawdawful white gloves, though...
    You have to get over his 90s competition wardrobe Have you seen this guy in a suit as a coach these days?

Custom Title
    You have to get over his 90s competition wardrobe Have you seen this guy in a suit as a coach these days?
    I've always found him handsome, and when he was interviewed after his win, he seemed both articulate and modest. I liked him a lot, though I didn't warm to his costumes either. I'll have to look for more recent pictures on Google Images.

I was sorry when his career was cut short by injuries, because he had a lot going for him in terms of technique and style. It's good that he's still involved in skating.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I've always found him handsome, and when he was interviewed after his win, he seemed both articulate and modest. I liked him a lot, though I didn't warm to his costumes either. I'll have to look for more recent pictures on Google Images.

I was sorry when his career was cut short by injuries, because he had a lot going for him in terms of technique and style. It's good that he's still involved in skating.
    Ladies and gents, I had to sit through Voronov's splatfests to get these screen captures. (To be fair he has wonderful qualities that are unfortunately eclipsed by his inconsistencies. I can see that Urmanov worked very hard to train him well, but I can sense Urmanov's exasperation, "Now I know how Mishin feels to have a pupil (just about everyone who isn't Plushenko) who doesn't live up to expectations") While we're debating Urmanov's hotness, let's just say please say I'm right. It will make me feel better and I need it... tough tough tough week.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25jz...8#.U2XD_a1dWDE

http://i58.tinypic.com/i6e5j9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGHhA9OHHI Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOS7Sxd07c Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hkUX2xP5w (Profile and Interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaltVHf80I How he is with female students.... I would like him to comfort me

Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    So true. Not even remotely the same kind of magic.
    I remember I was adamantly against Kazakova because I was such a Natalia fan. I do appreciate K&D more now. I especially loved their Olympic 98 FD. I thought Artur matured as a person and their skating reflected this new found maturity. Handel's piece was haunting. Although they did moves that were the same as M&D, the vibe was so different. The style was less showy. More austere.

Custom Title
    Ladies and gents, I had to sit through Voronov's splatfests to get these screen captures. (To be fair he has wonderful qualities that are unfortunately eclipsed by his inconsistencies. I can see that Urmanov worked very hard to train him well, but I can sense Urmanov's exasperation, "Now I know how Mishin feels to have a pupil (just about everyone who isn't Plushenko) who doesn't live up to expectations") While we're debating Urmanov's hotness, let's just say please say I'm right. It will make me feel better and I need it... tough tough tough week.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25jz...8#.U2XD_a1dWDE

http://i58.tinypic.com/i6e5j9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGHhA9OHHI Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOS7Sxd07c Watching his student splat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hkUX2xP5w (Profile and Interview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLaltVHf80I How he is with female students.... I would like him to comfort me
    Thanks for your labors, BP. I'm sorry you had such a bad week. That's one of the things that skating is for: to keep us afloat when we'd otherwise be drowning in adversity.

Urmanov seems to be one of those people who becomes more likable and more admirable the more one learns about him. I will remain a fan!

Medalist
    Urmanov has barely aged since Lillehamer. He looks mature, but in a nice way. Thanks for the pics and vids, Blackpack! Hope the week to come goes better for you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast