Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Lillehamer Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks for your labors, BP. I'm sorry you had such a bad week. That's one of the things that skating is for: to keep us afloat when we'd otherwise be drowning in adversity.

Urmanov seems to be one of those people who becomes more likable and more admirable the more one learns about him. I will remain a fan!
    Big hugs to you Oly!

Skating has helped me pass through many obstacles. That is why some skaters are like family to me.

I thought Urm was too intimate with Nikol Gosviani in the last video for my liking. He's a family man! I know why Mishin refused to coach females until recently now - physical attraction between men and women make it difficult to remain professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    Urmanov has barely aged since Lillehamer. He looks mature, but in a nice way. Thanks for the pics and vids, Blackpack! Hope the week to come goes better for you.
    Thanks Panpie

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Hey there, BlackPack! Haven't been here for a few days and very sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I'm a bit up against it myself at the moment, so will watch the videos as a welcome escape.

Hope things are looking up for you. Keep the faith!

On the Ice
    Lillehammer was my first Olympics- I was 11 years old and loved Oksana. Her skating had this magical quality, and the Black Swan SP remains my favorite women's SP. The only other skater who I really fell in love with was Daisuke Takahashi years later, and interestingly enough, his Turbo Swan program is my favorite men's SP. I was also rooting for Alexei Urmanov those olympics- my mom and I called him "the prince" b/c of his costumes...I never minded them, and was annoyed the commentators kept making fun of them. On a side note, it's amazing Mishin looks the same all these years later. Anyway, lillehammer was the only olympics where both my favorite male and female skaters won Olympic Gold, so it remains my favorite Olympics.

Banned
    Oksana's SP was amazing, but her exhibition is one of the best ever performances ever, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Hey there, BlackPack! Haven't been here for a few days and very sorry to hear you're having a tough time. I'm a bit up against it myself at the moment, so will watch the videos as a welcome escape.

Hope things are looking up for you. Keep the faith!
    Thank you dear! I hope things look up for you too. Were they enough to make you like Urm a bit better?

Quote Originally Posted by Seruleane View Post
    Lillehammer was my first Olympics- I was 11 years old and loved Oksana. Her skating had this magical quality, and the Black Swan SP remains my favorite women's SP. The only other skater who I really fell in love with was Daisuke Takahashi years later, and interestingly enough, his Turbo Swan program is my favorite men's SP. I was also rooting for Alexei Urmanov those olympics- my mom and I called him "the prince" b/c of his costumes...I never minded them, and was annoyed the commentators kept making fun of them. On a side note, it's amazing Mishin looks the same all these years later. Anyway, lillehammer was the only olympics where both my favorite male and female skaters won Olympic Gold, so it remains my favorite Olympics.
    I never really minded Urm's costumes during his competitive days, but his costumes in the Professional Championships were quite excessive. I remember the commentators especially Kurt Browning making fun of his costumes. In the 1994 Worlds Kurt just slammed Urm's costumes, skating, jumps, etc. Made me even more of a fan!

Custom Title
    While I wouldn't consider Urmanov the best looking of the Russian champions (I'd give Kulik that nod--maybe even Yagudin, during their heydays), I can see his appeal. Had I been a preteen girl watching at the time, I think I would've seen him as a decent "prince." Also, serious props for barely aging through the years.

RE: costumes. Yes, they were excessive. But I'll take excessive over boring and one-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    While I wouldn't consider Urmanov the best looking of the Russian champions (I'd give Kulik that nod--maybe even Yagudin, during their heydays), I can see his appeal. Had I been a preteen girl watching at the time, I think I would've seen him as a decent "prince." Also, serious props for barely aging through the years.

RE: costumes. Yes, they were excessive. But I'll take excessive over boring and one-dimensional.
    Agreed. I really didn't think his amateur costumes were that bad. Figure skating has definitely seen worse.

It's not about who's the best-looking but what a person makes you feel

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6