Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Recommend A Book to a GS friend

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    *Waves back to you and Doris*

Devil's Cub is wonderful indeed. If we're talking strictly Austen-inspired Regency romance, my favorite is probably The Grand Sophy. But really I have to allow for two different sets of faves, because Devil's Cub wasn't a Regency at all. Heyer wrote a bunch of delightful stories set in the eighteenth century, inspired not by Austen but possibly by a now-obscure later author named Jeffery Farnol. Devil's Cub and its prequel, These Old Shades, set a generation earlier even than that, are part of the only series (for want of a better word) that I think Heyer ever wrote. The Regency components of the series are Regency Buck (a classic Regency romance, with the most important plot line being the romance between the two main characters). An Infamous Army is set in the Regency era and features characters from Regency Buck but deals with the far weightier matter of the Battle of Waterloo. Heyer turns out to have been a splendid chronicler of battle scenes, giving a fabulously clear and dynamic picture of troop movements on the battlefield. I highly recommend each book in this varied sequence.

But for true Regency delight, light and frothy but with substance underneath, I'd say that The Grand Sophy is just about Heyer's best of the breed.
    Actually, "The Black Moth" could almost be included as part of the "series" - although the characters have completely different names.

I haven't read "An Infamous Army" yet - that and "The Spanish Bride" are two of her historicals that I own, but have yet to read. Otherwise the only others I don't think I've read yet, are "The Great Roxhythe" - which I don't think has been in print for ages; and "Royal Escape" - which I don't have a terribly keen interest in, as I'm not particularly fond of (the future) Charles II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kyNbZc7oc

anyway, and so have little interest in whether he escapes or not - plus that I have this sneaking suspicion that he just might.

I've read none of her whodunnits.

Custom Title
    I know what you mean about The Black Moth: it seems that Andover in that book was her prototype for Avon. If you want to be really impressed with Heyer, look at the date at which The Black Moth was published. This mature novel was her first book, and I think she was a teenager when she completed it. I think that pretty much confirms the quality of this woman as an author. Anyone who's interested in trying Heyer out, this is the one book of hers that I'm sure is in public domain, and therefore it can be found online (I think maybe on the Gutenberg site, though I might be wrong).

LRK, If you have to choose between The Spanish Bride and An Infamous Army to read next. I'd recommend An Infamous Army. It has such sweep, yet such humanity.

The whodunits are interesting, though not at the level of someone like Dorothy Sayers or Margery Allingham. I'm not sure I've heard of The Great Roxhythe! I wonder whether it's been published in the U.S. under another name, or whether I have an unread Heyer in my future. I'll have to research.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I hadn't heard of The Great Roxhythe before It has been republished. You can read the first couple of pages on Amazon-I didn't recognize it.

I just ordered it from Amazon, along with Helen and Pastel, two of the books that Heyer refused to have republished during her lifetime. They are contemporary (i.e. 1910-1920) based stories.

There was another one, The Barren Thorn, that did not particularly sound like my cup of tea right now.

That's so cool - thanks Doris! I used to check now and then - but it must have been a while since last I did. It used to disgruntle me excessively that there was a Georgette Heyer that I couldn't get hold of. So, now there's another book I need to get my greedy little paws on. (rubs said paws gleefully)

Custom Title
    Thanks, Doris! I just looked up Roxhythe, and it seems to be a more serious book set in the era of Charles II. I'm not sure how I'll feel about it, but I'll consider it.

Doris, I looked up the other book you mentioned, and I think you have conflated two titles together. I found Instead of the Thorn and Barren Corn, two different books. Both seem to be set in the twentieth century (1920s–1930s), and I reacted to both as you did: not my cup of tea.

Shoe Diva
    This is a great thread as it really speaks to my serious bookworm issue. I will read just about anything but my favorite books / authors aren't necessarily great literature but they are excellent reads and touch that special place deep down inside that was first ignited by a Ramona Quimbly book in 2nd grade that exploded in third grade when I was given my first Judy Blume (Are You there God? It's Me, Margaret).

Books have always been my sanctuary in a world gone mad and played major parts in all my childhood memories: getting grounded from BOOKS in the sixth grade (my 16 year old finds this highly amusing) and of course the infamous Hollywood Wives incident in seventh grade when my mother was called to the school to meet with the principal about my in class reading choice (she was NOT amused and I doubt the principle ever made that mistake again)

So, anywho, here's my list.

Catcher in the Rye - Gotta love Holden Caulfield
    Jane Austin Anything
    White Oleander - Not a happy book but the writing is divine
    The Fountainhead - Not a Ayn Rand fan but there is something about Howard Roark that just touches my soul
    Maeve Binchy Anything
    Jennifer Weiner Anything - she moves chit lit into a whole different realm
    Philippa Gregory - I know her history is shady but if you like historical fiction as entertainment, her work is perfect for a Saturday on the couch
    Winter's Bone - Wow. Just. Wow.
    I just read A Fault in Our Stars and let's just say I was totally in awe of this story

And of course: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Has anyone read "dead souls" by Nicholai Golgol? It's been recommended to me by a couple friends recently.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    You could try Watership Down by Richard Adams, excellent writing!
    Thank you Meoima for the suggestion. I picked it up today and have begun my journey into the land of rabbits and the new launguage which apparently comes with it

I also picked up "Dead Souls" by Nikolai Gogul which I'm told is one of Russia's first successful major novels. I've read and enjoyed Tolstoy and figured another classic in my collection of Russian literature will feel just as satisfactory as anything else.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Thank you Meoima for the suggestion. I picked it up today and have begun my journey into the land of rabbits and the new launguage which apparently comes with it

I also picked up "Dead Souls" by Nikolai Gogul which I'm told is one of Russia's first successful major novels. I've read and enjoyed Tolstoy and figured another classic in my collection of Russian literature will feel just as satisfactory as anything else.
    Yes, Dead Souls is one of the big landmarks in Russian literature. Coincidence: the other day I was listening to a bit of the sound track (very stirring) from the movie Taras Bulba, starring Yul Brynner. I did a bit of research on the film and learned that the film was loosely based on a short story by Gogol. So he's been on my mind for several days. His story "The Overcoat" is considered another of his masterpieces.

I admit that I haven't read very much Russian lit, but of what I've read, the author I've enjoyed most is probably Ivan Turgenev. Also "The Captain's Daughter" by Alexander Pushkin - though that was quite a while ago I read that, in my teens in the '80s.

My favorite book :
    "Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz or the Traps of the Faith" by Octavio Paz (Nobel)

It is not a light read, I read it like 5 times and I dont understand completly ,but is a biography in a way of assay about the best writer in the history of Mexico, a nun named Juana Ines de Asbaje in the seventeenth century, I swear, is fantastic.

Others: "the second sex" Simone de Beauvoir and "Sophie' s world" Jostein Gaarder

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Some of my all-time favorites:

Boris Pasternak -- Doctor Zhivago; the only Russian novel I've ever been able to finish

Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice. 'Nuff said...

Robert Penn Warren -- All the King's Men; one of the great American political novels and required for my high school AP English class. It didn't do much for me at the time but stuck with me enough that I actually picked it up again about 10 years later. What a difference!

Harper Lee -- To Kill a Mockingbird; this one seems embarrassingly obvious but it never, ever grows old for me. Aside from the wonderful characters (always wanted Atticus Finch for my own dad) and plot, what I love most is Harper Lee's simple, direct, atmospheric writing.

Jack Finney -- Time and Again; IMO, the best time-travel novel ever!

Madeleine L'Engle -- A Wrinkle in Time; read it first at age 8 and still read it to this day. Meg, the heroine, is a geeky, awkward girl with glasses. Reading about her made me believe that things really would get better. IMO, a great book for kids and parents to share.

Recently I have been into this book: http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Citi.../dp/0156453800
    I am a fan of Italo Calvino, great writing and immense imagination.

There are so many books I could recommend that I don't know where to start.
    All the classic literature of France, England, Russia, Italy (I see Meoima ha recommended Calvino, good choice. ), Germany, USA. I'm not familiar with Asia tbh.

It's really difficult, quite impossible to choose just one book, so I'll choose some.

1.Stefan Zweig. Read all his novellas, often published in one book as a collection.
    "The Royal Game" (or Chess Story) and "Amok" are the best, IMO, if you can't find them all and have to choose.

Why do I recommend his novellas? I'm not very good in describing it, especially in english.
    I was very young when I read it but I was completely blown away, emotionally and mentally, when I read his novels.

2. Erich Maria Remarque "Three Comrades"
    3. Theodore Dreiser The "Genius"
    4. Dostoyevsky "The Idiot"
    5. Primo Levi "If This Is a Man".

Last but not least, everyone should read Tolstoy and Dickens works, IMO.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Last but not least, everyone should read Tolstoy and Dickens works, IMO.
    Great Expectations, Bleak House, and Nicholas Nickleby!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast