Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Recommend A Book to a GS friend

Eleanor H Porter: "Pollyanna" (Re-read) - I really do enjoy reading a feel good book - it makes me feel good, and I enjoy feeling good. Actually, the glad game is harder than one could think - at least I found it so when as a child I was inspired by the book to try it. But then, being quick-tempered and irritable doesn't really help.

Mrs Snow had lived forty years, and for fifteen of those years she had been too busy wishing things were different to find much time to enjoy things as they were.

(I miss Olympia. She asked me to tell her what I thought of the book when I'd re-read it. I did reply, and I was pretty right in how I'd feel about it as it turns out - but I'd forgotten how funny it was!)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The humor in children's / young adults' books often is more appreciated by the adults in the reading audience.

I missed half of Marilla's jokes in "Anne of Green Gables" when I first read it as a ten year old.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The humor in children's / young adults' books often is more appreciated by the adults in the reading audience.

I missed half of Marilla's jokes in "Anne of Green Gables" when I first read it as a ten year old.
    I know - the same can be true of some children's programs. I used to love a program called "Fablernas värld" (the world of fables) as a child - and then I happened across an episode as an adult and thought... "Wow, this is really great - and funny!" (I now own the DVDs.) I think it's especially irony that tends to pass one by...

Thomas Mann: I read the book in Swedish translation "Bergtagen" - the original German title is "Der Zauberberg" - and it has been translated into English as "The Magic Mountain".

Hans Castorp, feeling a tad under the weather, is sent to a Swiss mountainside sanatorium to recouperate. The visit was supposed to last three weeks - he ended up staying there... seven years.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7