Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Hybrid View

Banned

Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Maybe figure skate should not be categorized as sports, and therefore is not appropriate for Olympic. Clear judge system seems not possible. Besides it is actually used for policital propaganda by some country repeatedly. If people think country with more Olympic medals is superior compared to those with less medals, then figure skate could be used for such assertion. It is not good.

Then you should remove gymnastics from the Summer Olympic as well. I bet no one dare that. Figure skating and hockey are the 2 major attraction when it comes to Winter Olympic. More scandals, more attraction.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Snowboarding is 100% a judged sport. At least Slopestlye and Halfpipe are. It seems to be growing in popularity and most people I spoke to really were impressed by it.

Why would we want to remove FS? I don't get it?

Custom Title
    This is one of those topics that makes me think, Now, now, the new season will be here sooner than you think. Why not take up a rewarding hobby in the meanwhile...like knitting.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    This is one of those topics that makes me think, Now, now, the new season will be here sooner than you think. Why not take up a rewarding hobby in the meanwhile...like knitting.

Exactly why I started a thread in le café asking for a good book recommendation.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...to-a-GS-friend

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Snowboarding is 100% a judged sport. At least Slopestlye and Halfpipe are. It seems to be growing in popularity and most people I spoke to really were impressed by it.

It's not exactly comparable because most of the skaters are doing the same tricks. While I can make arguments for why someone's 3Lz + 3T is superior to another persons, it's much easier for me to objectively say that a backside triple cork 1440 is more difficult than a double backside rodeo 900, for example. When everyone is doing mostly the same things, that's where it gets tricky. Plus, half of the score is components which obviously gets very tricky. While there is a "style" component to snowboarding judging, it's not even close to the importance the component scores have. Obviously there always will be some subjectivity, but it's not really comparable. Among snowboarders, rarely do we debate who should have won an event. Actually, probably the most controversial win among snowboarders in probably more than a decade was in Sochi slope style. I won't get into the details because I doubt most of us are snowboarders here, but essentially the Sochi judge panel unilaterally decided to score in a way completely antithetical to that done at the X-games, Dew tour, national qualifiers, most other international competitions etc. So, Sochi judging was just all around a mess actually …

But anyway, I don't think figure skating should be removed as an Olympic event. I mean, why would anyone? Assuming you are a fan of figure skating, you obviously want the sport to continue, and the best way to assure it's a financially viable activity is to keep it at its most visible platform. And I really don't buy the OPs nationalist propaganda argument. If people are so gullible that a figure skating result could change anything, then the level of nationalism is so extreme that any little thing could be used anyway.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post

There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are.... In Sochi, Shawn White would have podiumed instead of placing 4th in snowboarding if it were judged the same way as figure skating.

Our sport is beautiful and very watchable but in terms of legitimacy as fairness we have got a LONG way to go.

Short answer? No.

Custom Title
    Short answer (especially in this forum) ... No.

Is figure skating the most legitimately assessed Olympic sport? HELL no.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are....
    Don't know about that. There was a lot of complaining that the judges were judging the snowboard slopestyle completely differently at the Olympics to how they'd been doing it all season.

Custom Title
    In answer to the question...ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Custom Title
    There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are.... In Sochi, Shawn White would have podiumed instead of placing 4th in snowboarding if it were judged the same way as figure skating.
    You need to watch more snowboarding The judging of the slopestyle event was very controversial and there was a lot of press criticizing the judging:

Slopestyle Olympic Debut a Flop
    Drama Continues in Slopestyle Debut
    Tumbles, Olympic controversy dog slopestyle debut

I propose that all topics about removing figure skating from the Olympics be removed!

There's always one that sprouts like clockwork, like a teenage acne problem...

Custom Title
    Did not he fall? There were alternative opinions that for such a performance the 4th place was a courtesy.

Custom Title

Our sport is beautiful and very watchable but in terms of legitimacy as fairness we have got a LONG way to go.
    I so agree with this!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast