Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 167

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

  1. #151
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Lol at this conversation.

    You don't have to be secretly paid by Putin to appreciate the Russian figure skating. lol
    In fact, if not for Russia there wouldn't be any Yuna, any Mao or any Midori. It is the Russians who made this discipline, defined it and shaped. And they still keep it going. This forum exists because of the Russians.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Yeah well, figure skating community is a bit special in this sense

    I think you're unfair though. There were lots of fighters for justice at the beginning but you have to take in consideration that those who stayed with this forum [or, with after-Sochi figure skating in general ] till now are mainly those who are OK with anything on condition that their favorite wins/performs
    – or, cynics who enjoy the vanity of human nature
    Japan has football and baseball professional league. They were very much weak till several years ago but fans were watching national games as well as overseas professional league and awed and wished Japanese players were as good as them. They worked and improved. Fans watch foreign teams and players as much as national teams and players because they love watching high level technique and admire good players Japanese or not. It is weird for me there are dozens of international competitions each season but Olympic gather more watchers. But it is temporal medal fever. I think regular competitions should be able to collect more audience and public atention. I hope physical ability of skaters focused using numbers instead of past scores created by dislike/like buttons of judges, or vague compliments from commentators who are not permitted to take side (or rather they should to specific ISU favorite).

  3. #153
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,563
    I really do not understand .. this thread is still alive?

  4. #154
    Bored
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    Japan has football and baseball professional league. They were very much weak till several years ago but fans were watching national games as well as overseas professional league and awed and wished Japanese players were as good as them. They worked and improved. Fans watch foreign teams and players as much as national teams and players because they love watching high level technique and admire good players Japanese or not. It is weird for me there are dozens of international competitions each season but Olympic gather more watchers. But it is temporal medal fever. I think regular competitions should be able to collect more audience and public atention. I hope physical ability of skaters focused using numbers instead of past scores created by dislike/like buttons of judges, or vague compliments from commentators who are not permitted to take side (or rather they should to specific ISU favorite).
    Just curious, when you say football, do you in Japan mean European football (soccer) or American football (big guys and rugby ball)?

    There are many successful non-Olympic sports (golf, snooker, car racing, ballroom dancing) that have developed their own florishing amateur and professional culture. Figure skating could fit very well in this company. Maybe, FS should be temporarily “deolympized” to show the people that it has something else to give except the usual delivery (or, failed delivery ) to Olympic medal count.

    What about numbers and past scores, I used to think so ten years ago. Unfortunately, I never took a proper look how it works. There are several “grey areas”, in particular the GoE of TES and the vague definitions of PCS, that still make it dependent of likes/dislikes of judges.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Just curious, when you say football, do you in Japan mean European football (soccer) or American football (big guys and rugby ball)?

    There are many successful non-Olympic sports (golf, snooker, car racing, ballroom dancing) that have developed their own florishing amateur and professional culture. Figure skating could fit very well in this company. Maybe, FS should be temporarily “deolympized” to show the people that it has something else to give except the usual delivery (or, failed delivery ) to Olympic medal count.

    What about numbers and past scores, I used to think so ten years ago. Unfortunately, I never took a proper look how it works. There are several “grey areas”, in particular the GoE of TES and the vague definitions of PCS, that still make it dependent of likes/dislikes of judges.
    It is soccer. American size guys are scares in Japan.

  6. #156
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,696
    Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    It is soccer. American size guys are scares in Japan.
    Shinji Ono came and played in the A-League this season. He was very popular.
    Last edited by karne; 05-04-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: accidental mispelling of a name

  7. #157
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,032
    Since there are world competitions in each of the sports competed at the Olympics during the Olympic year, I would have no problem with the Olympics being completely eliminated.

  8. #158
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Since there are world competitions in each of the sports competed at the Olympics during the Olympic year, I would have no problem with the Olympics being completely eliminated.
    It's true that winter Olympic doesn't have as much coverage as summer Olympic anyways, but still, there is something special about Olympic.

  9. #159
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    it happen not just one, not twice, not thrice, but multiple times..... why continue this kind of fraud?..... let just remove it....

  10. #160
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    Over the years, there have been many results that I didn't agree with. But I don't think it's helpful to stop watching figure skating altogether every time. I think Yuna would rather her sport stays alive, rather than having it die because she did not win gold.
    It's not about Yuna...it's about fairness and competition. Everyone should have a fair shot, at least in theory. Otherwise what's the use?

  11. #161
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    It's not about Yuna...it's about fairness and competition.
    It IS about Yuna. It is about bitterness and sore losing. Everything on this forum is about Yuna. She is the most toxic skater there is. Maybe since Michelle Kwan. You are either obsessive fan or you are an enemy of the mankind. If she wins everything is ok, but if any skater challenges her then that skater is a perverted evil b--ch who should die a torturous death. And the corrupt judges who granted her the win should perish in fire. And the fans of that skater are evil human beings that should be severely persecuted. Or trolls. Which is the same thing..
    You know, either Yuna wins or the entire Earth doesn't deserve to exist and should be destroyed.

  12. #162
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,543
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    It IS about Yuna. It is about bitterness and sore losing. Everything on this forum is about Yuna. She is the most toxic skater there is. Maybe since Michelle Kwan. You are either obsessive fan or you are an enemy of the mankind.
    If you are referring to me, I think this is a new one. I've been called lots of things but never an obsessive Yuna fan.

  13. #163
    Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,902
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    If you are referring to me, I think this is a new one. I've been called lots of things but never an obsessive Yuna fan.
    The funny thing is, this thread was created by a Mao's fan, I suppose. He/she's logic is one of the most bizarre I have ever encountered, if you mind reading this thread from the beginning.

    Anyways, I don't think CezarMart was referring to you, though.

  14. #164
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    If you are referring to me, I think this is a new one. I've been called lots of things but never an obsessive Yuna fan.
    No, no, I didn't mean you. In fact, I don't even know your post history. I was referring to the whole toxic atmosphere on this forum after the Olympics. I have no idea which side you are on and your post was neutral. But read previous posts and you will learn how sore and poisonous minds some people have.

  15. #165
    Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Milan
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossig View Post
    If FS were to be removed from Olympics, its popularity would be even smaller than it is today. I can't imagine who would benefit from such a step.
    The Savonarola's of FS.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •