Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
@Ven
Thank you for clarifying. I don't agree with everything in your post, but I think we can have a better discussion when you break the argument down like that. I just can't get behind the whole "Adelina definitely would have won with two falls!!" thing because it's speculation that cannot be proven.

I'm neither American nor Russian, and I dislike ultra-nationalism from both sides. I also don't think it's my duty to support athletes from my own country--I believe in everyone supporting the athletes they personally enjoy.

Going back to the original question: we shouldn't remove figure skating from the Olympics because of Sochi--that'll kill figure skating before anyone can fix it. I'm sure we all want fairer scoring, but it's impossible to agree what fairer scoring is.

Over the years, there have been many results that I didn't agree with. But I don't think it's helpful to stop watching figure skating altogether every time. I think Yuna would rather her sport stays alive, rather than having it die because she did not win gold.

As you yourself have noted, there was a lot of protest. Sadly, a lot of it seems directed futilely at Adelina herself instead of the judging.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
The problem is, it's not only the ISU members who will have to suffer if the whole system dies, but all the skaters, coaches, rinks managers...will have to suffer as well. They will have no money to continue. ISU has been rotten for years, thanks to Speedy, but without ISU, what will the skaters do?

Perhaps ISU should be split into 2 separate federations - one for figure skating and one for speed skating? Then the figure skating community could have its own head without someone like Speedy running it. And why hasn't he been removed before now or retired? He should have been gone years ago.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Apparently they will only be skating one program per season from now on. In front of diminishing audiences and lower and lower ratings on tv.
Short program is not killed. There is no proposal about killing short program submitted to the council.

Manitou

Medalist
Pangtongfan, if you're unsure of where a poster is from, go check out the "favorite skaters thread", the one where everyone posts their least favorite program by their favorite skaters.

I found it amusing that so many of the people who continue to post in these threads in support of Sochi results listed nearly all Russians as their favorite skaters across all disciplines.

Just for curiosity: so are you really seriously thinking I am Russian and this is the only reason I am defending Sochi results?

Meoima

Match Penalty
Just for curiosity: so are you really seriously thinking I am Russian and this is the only reason I am defending Sochi results?
Some even seriously say I am a big Mao fan (even though I have only watched 3-4 programs of her entire career ever) because I said Mao free skate at Sochi deserved a world record. Meh! I haven't watched her for years! What is her birthday anyways?
People surely have weird assumption. :unsure:

gotoschool

Medalist
Some even seriously say I am a big Mao fan (even though I have only watched 3-4 programs of her entire career ever) because I said Mao free skate at Sochi deserved a world record. Meh! I haven't watched her for years! What is her birthday anyways?
People surely have weird assumption. :unsure:

Glad that you agree on her getting a world record score at Sochi. I think the performance speaks for itself and more than anything else shows how the Olympic scoring was totally unfair. I don't think someone has to be a Mao fan to think her performance is great, although it could certainly make some converts. However, I do think it is too defeatist to take FS out of the Olympics. Then, we would never see performances like this again. Mao's birthday is September 25, 1990.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I found it amusing that so many of the people who continue to post in these threads in support of Sochi results listed nearly all Russians as their favorite skaters across all disciplines.

Oh really? I think the Sochi results were correct, but the Russians on my favourites list are heavily outnumbered by Australians and Americans....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's one thing for the purposes of sarcasm to say a step out and popped jump would have got her the win (I mean people make ridiculous hyperbolic statements about 4/5 fall cushions and pull numbers out of you know where), but for actual discussion purposes, and looking at the scores, do you honestly think Kim wouldn't have won if Sot had popped and stepped out? I mean a popped flip would have been a loss of over 5 points (considering the points she got on her solo flip), costing her the win.

Alba

Record Breaker
Pangtongfan, if you're unsure of where a poster is from, go check out the "favorite skaters thread", the one where everyone posts their least favorite program by their favorite skaters.

I hope you do realise how stupid this comment is.

Manitou

Medalist
Lol at this conversation.

You don't have to be secretly paid by Putin to appreciate the Russian figure skating. lol
In fact, if not for Russia there wouldn't be any Yuna, any Mao or any Midori. It is the Russians who made this discipline, defined it and shaped. And they still keep it going. This forum exists because of the Russians. :)

pec0

Match Penalty
Yeah well, figure skating community is a bit special in this sense :biggrin:

I think you're unfair though. There were lots of fighters for justice at the beginning but you have to take in consideration that those who stayed with this forum [or, with after-Sochi figure skating in general :biggrin:] till now are mainly those who are OK with anything on condition that their favorite wins/performs
– or, cynics who enjoy the vanity of human nature ;)

Japan has football and baseball professional league. They were very much weak till several years ago but fans were watching national games as well as overseas professional league and awed and wished Japanese players were as good as them. They worked and improved. Fans watch foreign teams and players as much as national teams and players because they love watching high level technique and admire good players Japanese or not. It is weird for me there are dozens of international competitions each season but Olympic gather more watchers. But it is temporal medal fever. I think regular competitions should be able to collect more audience and public atention. I hope physical ability of skaters focused using numbers instead of past scores created by dislike/like buttons of judges, or vague compliments from commentators who are not permitted to take side (or rather they should to specific ISU favorite).

Anna K.

Final Flight
Country
Latvia
Japan has football and baseball professional league. They were very much weak till several years ago but fans were watching national games as well as overseas professional league and awed and wished Japanese players were as good as them. They worked and improved. Fans watch foreign teams and players as much as national teams and players because they love watching high level technique and admire good players Japanese or not. It is weird for me there are dozens of international competitions each season but Olympic gather more watchers. But it is temporal medal fever. I think regular competitions should be able to collect more audience and public atention. I hope physical ability of skaters focused using numbers instead of past scores created by dislike/like buttons of judges, or vague compliments from commentators who are not permitted to take side (or rather they should to specific ISU favorite).

Just curious, when you say football, do you in Japan mean European football (soccer) or American football (big guys and rugby ball)?

There are many successful non-Olympic sports (golf, snooker, car racing, ballroom dancing) that have developed their own florishing amateur and professional culture. Figure skating could fit very well in this company. Maybe, FS should be temporarily “deolympized” to show the people that it has something else to give except the usual delivery (or, failed delivery :p) to Olympic medal count.

What about numbers and past scores, I used to think so ten years ago. Unfortunately, I never took a proper look how it works. There are several “grey areas”, in particular the GoE of TES and the vague definitions of PCS, that still make it dependent of likes/dislikes of judges.

pec0

Match Penalty
Just curious, when you say football, do you in Japan mean European football (soccer) or American football (big guys and rugby ball)?

There are many successful non-Olympic sports (golf, snooker, car racing, ballroom dancing) that have developed their own florishing amateur and professional culture. Figure skating could fit very well in this company. Maybe, FS should be temporarily “deolympized” to show the people that it has something else to give except the usual delivery (or, failed delivery :p) to Olympic medal count.

What about numbers and past scores, I used to think so ten years ago. Unfortunately, I never took a proper look how it works. There are several “grey areas”, in particular the GoE of TES and the vague definitions of PCS, that still make it dependent of likes/dislikes of judges.

It is soccer. American size guys are scares in Japan.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It is soccer. American size guys are scares in Japan.

Shinji Ono came and played in the A-League this season. :) He was very popular.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Since there are world competitions in each of the sports competed at the Olympics during the Olympic year, I would have no problem with the Olympics being completely eliminated.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Since there are world competitions in each of the sports competed at the Olympics during the Olympic year, I would have no problem with the Olympics being completely eliminated.
It's true that winter Olympic doesn't have as much coverage as summer Olympic anyways, but still, there is something special about Olympic.

Chamazing

Rinkside
it happen not just one, not twice, not thrice, but multiple times..... why continue this kind of fraud?..... let just remove it....

R.D.

Record Breaker
Over the years, there have been many results that I didn't agree with. But I don't think it's helpful to stop watching figure skating altogether every time. I think Yuna would rather her sport stays alive, rather than having it die because she did not win gold.

It's not about Yuna...it's about fairness and competition. Everyone should have a fair shot, at least in theory. Otherwise what's the use?