Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Did someone really create this thread ???
    Unlike the people that are getting angry that somebody would dare to suggest that figure skating should be removed from the Olympics, I am actually glad that pec0 has been brave enough to suggest this.

I should make clear - it is not that I agree with this suggestion. I disagree with this idea in the strongest possible terms!

The reason I am glad that is that this thread leads nicely into a thread that I started writing after the Paralympics finished. But because of family matters, I never got finishing it, never mind posting it.

I actually have about 5 threads that I started writing but never got finished. Including one that I started working on just after Skate America!!! But that one involved a LOT of photo editing, which I am no good at. However, I only have one photo left to finish off, so hopefully it should not be too long until I get it posted...

Anyway, I have just posted the thread that is related to this thread in the Olympics sub-forum:

What Sports Would You Like To See Added Or Dropped From The Olympics?

Perhaps this thread should also be moved to that sub-forum...

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are....
    Don't know about that. There was a lot of complaining that the judges were judging the snowboard slopestyle completely differently at the Olympics to how they'd been doing it all season.

Custom Title
    In answer to the question...ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Medalist
    NAH..Without Olympic, FS would lose popularity far more. FS will die.

Custom Title
    There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are.... In Sochi, Shawn White would have podiumed instead of placing 4th in snowboarding if it were judged the same way as figure skating.
    You need to watch more snowboarding The judging of the slopestyle event was very controversial and there was a lot of press criticizing the judging:

Slopestyle Olympic Debut a Flop
    Drama Continues in Slopestyle Debut
    Tumbles, Olympic controversy dog slopestyle debut

I propose that all topics about removing figure skating from the Olympics be removed!

There's always one that sprouts like clockwork, like a teenage acne problem...

Custom Title
    No.

Custom Title
    There is a difference in that snowboarding is actually judged appropriately, usually based upon the merit of what each athlete does. If an athlete messes up, it doesn't matter how "popular" they are.... In Sochi, Shawn White would have podiumed instead of placing 4th in snowboarding if it were judged the same way as figure skating.
    Did not he fall? There were alternative opinions that for such a performance the 4th place was a courtesy.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Tompson View Post
    NAH..Without Olympic, FS would lose popularity far more. FS will die.
    Not sure about that.
    ISU would find it much harder to control the sport without the sanction of loss of Olympic eligibilty for skaters. There would be strong moves for a breakaway.

Custom Title
    Think what would that mean for FS to be removed from oly.

The most sport ministeria give money for the oly sports. If you are a niche sport, forget about money. Many childrem comes to this sport because they saw the oly on TV toghether with their parents and want to win a gold.

If FS would have have an existence as an art like ballet has, i can understand for this question. But it hasn't. People get to exhibitions to look at the champions and not to an art program (a couple of exceptions exists, but not enough to keep FS alive). Look how the pro-FS struggles in America.

#TeamAUS
    If this pressure keeps on building, maybe change will happen. Imagine if figure skating got its ownunion....

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    another disgrunted Yunabot ?
    You are very obsessed with something, seriously(Gold blah, Yunabot blah).
    As a soft Kristi, Yuna fan, I love Olympic.

Custom Title
    If we threw away everything that was not perfect, we'd have to discard most of the Olympics. I'm a great believer in mending, patching, and repairing rather than tossing into the trash.

Anyway, what would we replace it with? I like watching half-pipe snowboarding once every four years, but I wouldn't join a snowboarding fan site like GS and follow it eagerly season after season. And face it, if figure skating were not an Olympic sport, it wouldn't be televised very often at other times of the year either. So it would be snowboarding or nothing for many TV viewers.

Custom Title

Our sport is beautiful and very watchable but in terms of legitimacy as fairness we have got a LONG way to go.
    I so agree with this!!!

If we think that figure skating does not belong in the Olympics because it is a judged sport, then the same argument applies to any figure skating competition. Why should there be a world championship, a national championship, or a local cub competition if it just comes down to the whims and biases of the judges?

People like to compete. Whatever the activity, someone will be eager to show that he can do it better than someone else. We who undertake to become fans of a judged sport know what we are signing up for. We will not always agree with the judges. It took me, oh, about ten years, before I could force myself to say, "OK, OK -- Tara skated pretty good, too." If the IOC had decided not to include figure skating in the 1998 Olympics, who would that decision have benefitted?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast