Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Banned
    For other categories using judges, and unfair results happen all time, it might be good idea to remove those too.
    Expected merit in addition to increased value of medals, records, and ranking is lower budget required to the host country to build vast facilities.
    According to the other thread, Olympic figure skate is the most important event. But the difference from the other international competitions seems(to me) is the participation/absence of the Queen.

Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    But the difference from the other international competitions seems (to me) is the participation/absence of the Queen.
    Oh, I don't think so at all. Many, many sports have a king or queen that attracts most of the media attention and draws in the viewers. Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps, for instance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Oh, I don't think so at all. Many, many sports have a king or queen that attracts most of the media attention and draws in the viewers. Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps, for instance.
    I meant the appearance of Kim Yu Na, the Absolute Greatest Queen of figure skating is the only difference between Olympic and the other international figure skate competitions.
    For sports, what matters should be the performance record and not the name of the event. However, the Olympic record of figure skate is often too offensive and insulting.

On the Ice
    It wont happen in a million years. If the sport is popular and/or someone from the IOC backs it up, the sport should remain as an olympic discipline.
    This 2 things were what greco-romam restling lacked and got them out of Rio 2016 (I didnt follow the news but this were the reasons IOC gave when they released it in march 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pec0
    I meant the appearance of Kim Yu Na, the Absolute Greatest Queen of figure skating is the only difference between Olympic and the other international figure skate competitions.
    I am still not understanding your position. You don't like Yuna Kim, so any competition that she participates in should be cancelled?

If that is what ails figure skating as an Olympic sport, then relief is at hand. Kim has retired.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Medalist
    For sports, what matters should be the performance record and not the name of the event. However, the Olympic record of figure skate is often too offensive and insulting.
    Sacarsm?

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I think the OP is being a bit subversive in posing this question.

We get the original question, and then... a few pages in... we get some fawning commentary about Yuna Kim, whom I quite like, but refuse to refer to as "the Queen" except in the snarkiest of moments.

This leads me to believe this is just another thread complaining about placements at the Olympics, and it smacks of sour grapes.

Without getting into the merits of the argument, one has to admit there are more than enough threads discussing the ladies event in Sochi.

I really dislike the whole "If my skater didn't win they should cancel the Olympics" tone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I am still not understanding your position. You don't like Yuna Kim, so any competition that she participates in should be cancelled?.
    I did not say that.
    There is a number of distinguished international competitions. Currently one of them is imposed by IOC to invalidate any other achivements in any other competitions. It is a kind of monopoly. If all international competitions are equal, then current problem, buy the strongest card to name youself as the Absolute Greatest, will be solved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tompson View Post
    NAH..Without Olympic, FS would lose popularity far more. FS will die.
    This, basically.

The decline in the pro scene is worrying enough. Removal from the Olympics would be the final nail the coffin. Figure skating's recognition as an "art" is directly related to its presence on the competitive scene (and it seems like even that hasn't been enough, sadly).

And, as everyone pointed out, too many subjective sports out there. Should they all be removed?

I think that ultimately (thinking in decades rather than years) being dropped form the olympics could be the best thing that ever happened for the integrity of figure skating.

NB I didn't say 'popularity' or 'visibility' but integrity which is an entirely different issue.

I did not say that.

There is a number of distinguished international competitions. Currently one of them is imposed by IOC to invalidate any other achivements in any other competitions. It is a kind of monopoly. If all international competitions are equal, then current problem, buy the strongest card to name youself as the Absolute Greatest, will be solved.
    Thank you for the explanation. I agree with this. No need to mention any particular skater, but is winning an Olympic gold medal the only thing that counts? Is Katarina Witt (two Olympic gold medals) better than Michelle Kwan (five world championships)? I look at it this way: We will have another Olympic gold medalist in four years no matter what. How long will we have to wait to see another five-time world champion? (Unless Mao wins the next two years. )

But that's up to us, to decide who we think is the greatest. We don't have to cancel the Olympics to carry on the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I think that ultimately (thinking in decades rather than years) being dropped form the olympics could be the best thing that ever happened for the integrity of figure skating.

NB I didn't say 'popularity' or 'visibility' but integrity which is an entirely different issue.
    It's a tough choice. To die with honour or to live in shame.

Custom Title
    Almost half of winter olympic sport are judge sport anyway.

Maybe figure skate should not be categorized as sports, and therefore is not appropriate for Olympic.
    Than it's not appropriate to have a WC, Euros etc.

Clear judge system seems not possible.
    Same as other sports.

Besides it is actually used for policital propaganda by some country repeatedly
    This logic can be used for any sport.

If people think country with more Olympic medals is superior compared to those with less medals, then figure skate could be used for such assertion. It is not good.
    What's wrong with that and why it is not good?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post

I understand the logic here but this does not take into account all the hours spent by the budding artists and skaters on the verge of greatness that would be lost. I'd rather sacrifice another Yuna, if you can even call it that, to preserve even one Matthew Parr. Sure it's great to win a medal but if you stop and think about it. You will see that most atheletes in any Olympic sport aren't going to win medals. To them the journey is a reward and the games are just a dream that came into fruition. I'm not on board to sacrifice an entire generation of skaters! That would be a bigger loss in my mind.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast