Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    What's wrong with that and why it is not good?
    I think Pec0's lament is this: During the Cold War the United States and the Soviet Union went back and forth with, "Ha ha, we won the most gold medals. This proves that Capitalism (Communism) is superior to Communism (Capitalism). In fact, we will just boycott your Olympics altogether, nyah nyah "

The modern equivalent seems to be, ha ha, Kim (Mao) just won a prize. This shows that Korea (Japan) is great and Japan (Korea) sucks, and has done so for centuries.

Personally, I never forgave Patrick Chan for the Pig War (between the U.S. and Canada, 1859).

Banned
    Than it's not appropriate to have a WC, Euros etc.

Same as other sports.

This logic can be used for any sport.

What's wrong with that and why it is not good?
    I think you either feign brainless or trying to cheat the logic

There are competitions for dance. Why not commpetition for figure skate?
    I think it is OK if lowest and easiest program win due to EFFORTLESSNESS and FLOW, but it is not OK to make deductions to validly executed elements of particuler hated athlete in order that EFFORLESS person can win. If judges want to make EFFORTLESS person win, then they may give a lot of bonus points to such person and EXPLAIN as such.

For example of other sports, swimming is about time record so it is corruption free than figure skate.

If OP medal is supposed to nullify any other achievements, then IOC can sell the medal for high price.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think Pec0's lament is this: During the Cold War the United States and the Soviet Union went back and forth with, "Ha ha, we won the most gold medals. This proves that Capitalism (Communism) is superior to Communism (Capitalism). In fact, we will just boycott your Olympics altogether, nyah nyah "

The modern equivalent seems to be, ha ha, Kim (Mao) just won a prize. This shows that Korea (Japan) is great and Japan (Korea) sucks, and has done so for centuries.

Personally, I never forgave Patrick Chan for the Pig War (between the U.S. and Canada, 1859).

Yeah well, it's part of the game. Take it for what they are.
    Countries invest in sports and athletes represent their countries. It's not something related to FS only.

Banned

I think a Korean judge made deduction for every jump of Asada. Therefore I never forgive Koreans.

Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    I think you either feign brainless or trying to cheat the logic
    There are competitions for dance. Why not commpetition for figure skate?
    I think it is OK if lowest and easiest program win due to EFFORTLESSNESS and FLOW, but it is not OK to make deductions to validly executed elements of particuler hated athlete in order that EFFORLESS person can win. If judges want to make EFFORTLESS person win, then they may give a lot of bonus points to such person and EXPLAIN as such.
    Or I don't know what the hell are you talking about?

For example of other sports, swimming is about time record so it is corruption free than figure skate.
    There are other judged sports, so why only FS should not be included in Olympic Games?

If OP medal is supposed to nullify any other achievements, then IOC can sell the medal for high price.
    Why is a medal supposed to nullify any other achievement? Olympics, like any other championship is a competition.
    Following your logic (if I can call it a logic) no competition should exist for any kind of sport.

I think a Korean judge made deduction for every jump of Asada. Therefore I never forgive Koreans.
    See, that's wrong. Never forgive that mean judge if you must, but "all Koreans" are not at fault. (That's what I think.)

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Or I don't know what the hell are you talking about?
    There are other judges sports, so why only FS should not be included in Olympic Games?
    Why is a medal supposed to nullify any other achievement? Olympics, like any other championship as a competition.
    Following your logic (if I can call it a logic) no competition should exist for any kind of sport.
    I told you we have a more serious case than Skyfly. at least Skyfly would now and then drop us a little bit of facts (like who is who, how tall the skater is).

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    I told you we have a more serious case than Skyfly. at least Skyfly would now and then drop us a little bit of facts (like who is who, how tall the skater is).

Oh I see now. You think a Korean judge did that (based on what exactly?), therefore you'll never forgive Koreans (the whole nation). So, FS should not be an Olympic Sport. I assume that if that judge did not make any deduction for every jump of Asada then FS would be fine as an Olympic Sport right?

Custom Title
    Well now, this explains a lot.

On the Ice
    Figure skating in general - no
    Ice dancing - maybe

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    It's a tough choice. To die with honour or to live in shame.
    Personally, I say - let's live a little!

Every sport (no matter what it is) has its controversies. Does that mean that we kick out all of those sports and disallow elite level athletes the opportunity and honor they have been working towards their entire lives to be in the Olympics (because it is such a highly publicized and acclaimed event)? No way! Those athletes and us as viewers know that most things, including competitions, are not always fair. That's just the sad truth. You just have to get back up and roll with the punches - it doesn't mean you end it all and accept total defeat.

Banned

Oh I see now. You think a Korean judge did that (based on what exactly?), therefore you'll never forgive Koreans (the whole nation). So, FS should not be an Olympic Sport. I assume that if that judge did not make any deduction for every jump of Asada then FS would be fine as an Olympic Sport right?
    I have serious question: do Koreans assume that you can do what ever you want to if you are in charge? Is that just Korean culture? Koreans should have read tons of statements by Korean international judges ,Ji hee I or Ko Song Fi to promise in Korean papers to secure high GOE only for Korean skater.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29XpwaYO1Z0
    In this video , Korean female judge is keep pushing yellow button(deduction) too quickly for anything Japanese skater does. She gave -2 for Asada's 3A.

Banned
    She is keep pushing Green(addition) for Korean skater.
    I see judges from other countries often give high points to compatriot players in other sports events.

Banned
    Why is a medal supposed to nullify any other achievement? Olympics, like any other championship as a competition.
    Recently in other thread majority said that OG is the most significant of all figure skate events. I do not understand your last line.

Boycott the ISU
    There's nothing wrong with judgement in sports; officiating exists even in the most objective of competitions.

The problem with figure skating is that the judging is not based on what the competitors actually do. The placements are agreed upon behind closed doors, according to political deals struck back and forth (i.e. traded favors).

The leadership of the ISU is corrupt. The leadership of the member federations (Russia, U.S., Japan, Canada, even KSU and smaller nations) are corrupt. The judges are corrupt. It's the same people doing the same things for many years now. The corruption is endemic to the sport.

The only way figure skating will be healed would be a full purge:

1. ISU eliminated, new sanctioning body created

2. top ISU leadership banned from the sport for life

3. Russian, U.S., Canadian, Japanese, etc (all nations) federation leadership banned from the sport for life

4. Independent investigation of all judges, any findings = banned for life

------

Outside of this, figure skating will be something watched by an ever decreasing small number of people as time goes by. Nobody has interest in watching rigged farces, where the results contradict what they see with their own eyes.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast