Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Should figure skating be removed from the Olympic games?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossig View Post
    If FS were to be removed from Olympics, its popularity would be even smaller than it is today. I can't imagine who would benefit from such a step.
    The sinister satisfaction of those who want to kill the sport because their fave didn't win.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/p...sitionsAbl.htm

Except "de" takes the ablative, so it would be "de minimis" Latin memories are overwhelmng me.

Thanks for catching the typo! Never having taken it in school, that's one of the few Latin phrases in my vocabulary. As a card-carrying elitist (albeit a de minimis one) I really should be able to get the spelling straight.

EDIT: Wow, just saw the rest of the "de minimis" posts. Glad to know my typo created some amusement/diversion! The discussion gave me a good giggle even though I didn't get any of it except for Gaul being divided into 3 parts. In my high school, the conventional wisdom was that Latin was only for geeks and nerds...

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    :In my high school, the conventional wisdom was that Latin was only for geeks and nerds...
    I used to practice my Latin and my magician act on the way to the rehearsals of the debating society's chess club's barbershop quartet.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I used to practice my Latin and my magician act on the way to the rehearsals of the debating society's chess club's barbershop quartet.
    I refused to take Latin in an attempt to escape being branded as a geek. It didn't work.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    And you tried to pass yourself off as obscure the other day.

Figure Skating and Hockey stand for approximately 80% of the Winter Olympic's revenue. They are not going to throw it out of the games for that reason alone.

Banned
    they should remove figure skating..... it's just a fra*d sports.....

Custom Title
    I agree! Let's sign a petition to remove it from the NEXT Winter Olympics.

Custom Title
    YES, it definetely should be moved from the Olympics unless there will be a HUGE change in judging before the next Olympics. I don´t wish to see such corrupt judging as in Sochi happened EVER AGAIN. And no major competitions should be held in Russia from now on.

It is now the right time for ISU to clean the stables from corrupt judges (and judges who don´t apparently understand what is happening on the ice). Skaters should be given scores for what they are doing on the ice in that competition and not for what they have done in past.

Better for the sport to be reduced if that is what is needed for the effective change. NO more several persons with a Russian name in one judging panel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    YES, it definetely should be moved from the Olympics unless there will be a HUGE change in judging before the next Olympics. I don´t wish to see such corrupt judging as in Sochi happened EVER AGAIN. And no major competitions should be held in Russia from now on.

It is now the right time for ISU to clean the stables from corrupt judges (and judges who don´t apparently understand what is happening on the ice). Skaters should be given scores for what they are doing on the ice in that competition and not for what they have done in past.

Better for the sport to be reduced if that is what is needed for the effective change. NO more several persons with a Russian name in one judging panel.
    Perfectly agree with it.
    Without this lovely sport being "decapitate" developing completely new leadership it never will be respectful to athletes and the crowd.
    Let's start with that.

Bored
    In fact, I wish somebody made an official proposal to remove FS from OG. It would be fun to see people's reaction

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    In fact, I wish somebody made an official proposal to remove FS from OG. It would be fun to see people's reaction
    yeah it would be very funny to see the athletes reaction... because something that many seems to forget is that for most of the skater the goal is the olympics, and not winning or losing some medal, but just have the chance to skate on the most important stage, with all the eyes of the world on them, not just that of a handful of fans who pass half the time arguing on who was the worst skater ever and wining because the sport it's not as popular as it was twenty years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    I agree! Let's sign a petition to remove it from the NEXT Winter Olympics.
    why not?? it's not like my favorite skater is competing anymore... been there.. done that..

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    why not?? it's not like my favorite skater is competing anymore... been there.. done that..

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by jace93 View Post
    yeah it would be very funny to see the athletes reaction... because something that many seems to forget is that for most of the skater the goal is the olympics, and not winning or losing some medal, but just have the chance to skate on the most important stage, with all the eyes of the world on them, not just that of a handful of fans who pass half the time arguing on who was the worst skater ever and wining because the sport it's not as popular as it was twenty years ago...
    Why don’t you add that in some countries athletes are funded by their national Olympic Committees, as simple as that?

However, I think there would be divided opinion. Some skating community insiders have expressed discontent with over-focusing on OG and might prefer living in the world of the own events like that of ballroom dancing.

Anyway, the most interesting for me are so called casual viewers who watch FS once in 4 years. If FS won’t be there, would they notice the difference? Would they find such a possibility disturbing enough to sign petitions etc., etc.?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast