Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner | Golden Skate

Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner

Tompson

Rinkside
Both they are well-known for super inconsistency and I know Kostner was no doubtly more successful due to her longevity.
But who do you think received more huge attention and spotlight?
I felt Sasha was little overrated by media at that time and Kostner was little overshadowed by Yuna-Mao rivalry tgh.

BlackPack

Medalist
Kostner by far had the presence due to her statuesque figure and speed. Sasha had the flexibility and the fiery with glimpses of coyness, but even in her late 20s she looked like an adolescent. Both brought exceptional beauty to the ice.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
As an athlete, certainly Kostner. But she was so sloppy. Cohen had a bigger presence due to her choreography and attention to detail. I vote Team Cohen. Kostner never fulfilled it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've always found Sasha to be way more interesting - choreography, costuming, etc.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sasha, hands down.

Except when she was on her backside.

She was an absolutely stunning skater on the too-rare occasions when she was clean. When I think of her, I always get that little pang that comes with unrealized potential.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would probably say Sasha (although I think Kostner is more regal and has better skating skills in general). Sasha's attention to detail and lines were absolutely perfect. It's unfortunate that she wasn't a more consistent jumper.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Just to clarify, is this asking who had the bigger presence in terms of being iconic, or who had a bigger presence on the ice? The first post seems to imply the former but the replies seem to answer the latter.

Tompson

Rinkside
Just to clarify, is this asking who had the bigger presence in terms of being iconic, or who had a bigger presence on the ice? The first post seems to imply the former but the replies seem to answer the latter.
Former one...Sorry for my bad englishT_T

Amei

Record Breaker
I think Cohen was the better of the 2, her programs even with flaws were gorgeous to watch, Kostner if she had a falls it really took away from the beauty of the program. And I find Cohen's programs more memorable then I do Kostner's programs.

Even legacy-wise I think Cohen comes out on top; I hear commentators mentioning more that current skaters remind them of Cohen then I do Kostner (though disclaimer, I live in the U.S. so the majority of the time I am hearing commentary geared towards an American audience)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Koster easily. Kostner in her adult state matches Sasha in lines, positions, beauty on ice, artistry. Her skating skills though are on another planet. Her choreography is much better and more demanding. Her interpretation is almost flawless and better than Sasha, despite that Sasha's is also very good. Her jumps, when landed, are way way better, and both are inconsistent. Her footwork is much stronger and more difficult. Sasha has the edge on spins and spirals, even though Kostner's spirals even who a better balance between nice positions and extentsion, decent flexability, and very good and secure running edges and flow, unlike Sasha who is completely missing the last part and whose spirals are so stunning only due to the positions and flexability.

Kostner is a threat to Yu Na Kim when both skate cleanly. Sasha even skating clean would be no threat to Yu Na Kim or Mao Asada if they skated reasonably well. That alone shows who is better. Sasha also was incapable of beating a clean Kwan, clean Slutskaya, or at her best (with the 3-3s) Arakawa even with her best potential skates.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Only in the U.S. Anywhere else in the world Sasha is already forgotten (maybe a bit of recognition in Canada only). Kostner will be remembered in Europe and to a lesser degree Asia for a long time.

I think it is reaching a little bit to say that Sasha Cohen is remembered only in the U.S.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Former one...Sorry for my bad englishT_T

Oh no, not a problem with your English! Your first post seemed quite clear to me. I only got confused because so many replies were addressing the latter.

Cohen vs. Kostner... Who will be remembered for years to come? Well, Cohen in North America and Kostner in Europe. Maybe let Kostner's legacy sit for a while. Cohen has silver to Kostner's bronze, but Cohen didn't manage to win Worlds even once. I'll give Kostner a slight edge because of her long career and how she had the most success at the end of it. Really an inspiration for women to not retire the moment they stop being teenagers.

I'm not quite as floored by Kostner's presentation as some others, but what Pangtongfan said is true to a large degree: Kostner does have great skating skills, incredible footwork, and huge jumps (when they're landed). However, I don't think clean Kostner is really a threat to a clean Yuna. Yuna, even with a more conservative skate, beat Kostner. And clean Cohen could've won against clean Kwan at Nationals, imo. Not sure about internationally. The reason she never won is 'cause she was never clean.

Amei does have a point about Cohen's programs being beautiful even with flaws, while if Kostner's off her program goes haywire. At Worlds, I found Kostner's Ave Maria to be simply stunning (really won me over, even though I wasn't as impressed by the same skate at the Olympics for some reason). However, her Bolero was really shoddy--worse than Sasha with mistakes.

ClockwiseSpinner

Rinkside
Forgetting the comparison, they are two amazing skaters, and surely my favorites among the ladies.
I just wish Cohen had a longer career, inconsistent or not, every move she did on the ice had me completely enthralled.
Same for Kostner, her Ave Maria was pure magic.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Sasha has a limited range as a skater. Her programs are very similar. She doesn't have anything better than kostner except spins. The rest are a few tier below.

Her silver at the Olympics wouldn't come in 10th at sochi. So let's not make it seem like she was anywhere near kostner. She never got a 3x3. Kostner retains her 3x3 for more than a decade.