Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Presence is not necessarily decided by medals or jumps. Sasha has it. Oksana Baiul has it even with falls and two foots. Katarina witt has it despite unpointed toes, garbage triples and not necessarily the speed or inbetweens of say her compatriots at the time Midori Ito or Liz Manley. Candelero, Plushenko all had amazing presence Carolina is popular in Europe and such but remember she is the top Euro lady if you don't include Russia or its former USSR which seems to be an entity on its own. Carolina's personality didn't come across and she was kind of failry good and elegant because of her long lines but not the natural musicality of Baiul, the charisma of Witt or the well executed spins and spirals that made you go wow. And her jumps while good when on were not the pop and power of Manley, Ito, Slutskaya and all.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
I think it's hard to say. Both were very artistic but they look so different on the ice. Carolina was tall and lithe while Sasha was petite and bouncy. Their programs were markedly different from each other in most respects.

Sadly, I think what so many will remember about them is their inability to rise to the occasion when it counted the most. Carolina sort of did that at the Sochi games, but she still skated rather tentatively (especially in her LP) and then proceeded to totally bomb her LP at worlds a month later. Sasha was a total headcase skater. For shame, since she was so intriguing to watch when she wasn't falling on her butt all over the ice.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I don't know about you, but Ava Maria has more intricacy and difficulty than all 3 SPs combined. If you stack them up back to back, I don't know anyone but Sasha's parents would rank them higher. Figure skating is still a sport, correct? Under what universe would any of Sasha's SPs place higher than Ava Maria?

I think as artists they're about equal in different ways. I think Cohen was a more striking skater with more of a "Wow" factor, but overall Carolina is the stronger skater and she also has a more mature and varied presentation.

However, I don't think it's fair to technically compare programs so far apart. Also as we all know PCS scores have gone through the roof since Cohen was competing under IJS.

RABID

Final Flight
Both they are well-known for super inconsistency and I know Kostner was no doubtly more successful due to her longevity.
But who do you think received more huge attention and spotlight?
I felt Sasha was little overrated by media at that time and Kostner was little overshadowed by Yuna-Mao rivalry tgh.

Maybe it is because I am a guy, but Sasha certainly had presence on the ice. I don't know, it is a good question. I think maybe Sasha had a little more charisma, when not ice-splatting of course.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
(...) Kostner has 7 total world and Olympic medals. Sasha barely over half of that. Kostner has 5 grand prix final medals vs 1 for Sasha, and many more European titles than Sasha has National titles (...)

Dear pangtongfan:

You're tendentiously obscuring the fact that Cohen's international competitive career covered FIVE seasons: Kostner's international career was deployed for 12 years.

I really think some are missing the point of this post which is not about the results and records of two athletes who competed at two (overlapping) figure skating eras, with different scoring systems and different fields and expectations and through different periods. This post is about trascendence, about two extraordinary skaters who surpass the line of time and in 50 years will be regarded as true images of beauty on an ice rink.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sadly, I think what so many will remember about them is their inability to rise to the occasion when it counted the most. Carolina sort of did that at the Sochi games, but she still skated rather tentatively (especially in her LP) and then proceeded to totally bomb her LP at worlds a month later.
The only thing tentative with relation to Kostner's Olympic programs was the judges' marks. She skated two amazing programs and deserved better than what she got (I bet the skaters watching would have had her higher).

Her 2014 Worlds LP is irrelevant. She rose to the occasion when it mattered at 2012 Worlds and skated three great programs in Sochi.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Umm, just wanted to say that the original poster replied to my question regarding whether it's "bigger presence in terms of being iconic" or "bigger presence on the ice." The intent is the former. Therefore, comparing medals is--from my understanding--as relevant as comparing skating ability.

Now back to Sasha and Caro. ;)

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I think they cater to different types of fans. The general public is more likely to find Sasha more memorable due to her amazing flexibility, stunning positions, beautiful face and fiery personality. They aren't going to care about her skating skills or bad technique and they aren't going to remember what medals she won or didn't win. She definitely had that "wow" or "it" factor. Fellow skaters or those more knowledgable about the finer points of skating might appreciate Carolina more - her longevity, development, perseverance, technique, great programs and sweet personality. In the beginning I was totally in awe of Sasha and thought she was the most amazing thing that ever happen to figure skating. Carolina who? back in the day was just gangly and awkward. Now to me, Carolina is everything a skater a should be. Doesn't matter if she's not an Olympic champion, can't do 15 million spin positions or can't wrap her leg around her head. I do agree that the degree of impact is continental.

makaihime

Final Flight
I think they cater to different types of fans. The general public is more likely to find Sasha more memorable due to her amazing flexibility, stunning positions, beautiful face and fiery personality. They aren't going to care about her skating skills or bad technique and they aren't going to remember what medals she won or didn't win. She definitely had that "wow" or "it" factor. Fellow skaters or those more knowledgable about the finer points of skating might appreciate Carolina more - her longevity, development, perseverance, technique, great programs and sweet personality. In the beginning I was totally in awe of Sasha and thought she was the most amazing thing that ever happen to figure skating. Carolina who? back in the day was just gangly and awkward. Now to me, Carolina is everything a skater a should be. Doesn't matter if she's not an Olympic champion, can't do 15 million spin positions or can't wrap her leg around her head. I do agree that the degree of impact is continental.

:yes: This is how I feel as well.