Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

Custom Title
    OMG! I think Kerstin decision is quite selfish and wrong. You never know in advance how long are you able to skate. Dylan wanted to continue and had the next Olympics as a target. She won't be able to find a skater of the same quality, at least in Canada. For Dylan it is more difficult to find another skater, good enough for him. They were together since she was 16. I am sure he helped her, but probably they helped each other in the end. I am sad as they were such a beautiful couple. I don't really know what is beyond this decision, but it does not seem to be very wise.

Custom Title
    It's hard to know how to judge these decisions from the outside. I agree that expecting to skate 2 more quads with an untested partner is a big risk. But ultimately the decision is hers, and we'll have to get used to it.

Custom Title
    Even assume Dylan cannot do more quads is wrong. How old was Hongbo Zhao when he won the Olympic gold?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    This would be true if it were really possible to make an 8 year commitment in figure skating but it's not. Injuries happen and partner splits happen. Whoever she goes with now has just as good of a chance of pulling the plug in 2 years as Dylan, and in fact I'd say a better chance because obviously Dylan was committed to the partnership and he and Kristen were getting good results. She hasn't eliminated the chance of herself being dumped within the next 4 years- IMO, candidly, she's increased it. Barring injury (which could happen to anyone) IMO Dylan was far less likely to bail on her within the next quad than any new partner she may find.

Now certainly I hope for her she finds this magical person who is willing to commit for 8 years and really means it and that they do compete for 8 years why not. But I also think she is 22 and doesn't really 'get' life yet and that committing for 8 years to figures skate, much less with the same person, isn't possible for anyone, including her. By the time she is 26 and (maybe) has another Olys behind her, she may well be ready to retire herself. A lot changes between 22 and 26 for most people.

Being as

1. Dylan definitely was willing to commit for 4 years.
    2. Dylan and she are getting good or even great results
    3. Dylan and she had potential to improve.
    4. The future is inherently uncertain and it's not actually possible, whatever her 22 year old mind might think, to solidify 8 years of future planning before even skating with someone for a whole season...

I think this was all a mistake. I also think it was a mistake on her part and kind of rude not to discuss it with Dylan or her coaches before telling them, especially as she admits that 'high on emotions' in Sochi she'd promised Dylan to go another 4 years with him. I think her coaches might have been able to make her realize this was a mistake... and I truly believe it was a mistake.

With that said, it doesn't matter what I think, she talked to her parents and to her 22 year old friends and made her choice, and I can only continue, as I said before, to wish them both well and hope they will both be successful in finding lasting new partnerships.
    If Dylan was willing to skating barring injury, death etc until 2018 then Ms. k made a huge mistake I think. They were gelling and improving. Wow, what is it with those Canadians. Dumb dumb dumb. chan and no coach and his girfriend's mother who for a while looked like a deer in headlights at skating events -- like Patrick was giving HER support.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    Even assume Dylan cannot do more quads is wrong. How old was Hongbo Zhao when he won the Olympic gold?
    True, Zhao was 36, and he won two Olympic medals after sustaining a serious injury (achilles tear). I imagine Dylan is capable of holding up just fine through 33 years old. If you condition and train your body properly (and by all accounts, he is a very hard worker), then age doesn't have to be a real issue. He knows his body better than we do, and it sounds like he was committed to another quad with Kirsten.

But if Kirsten was wanting to get out of the partnership for whatever reasons, then it's a valid excuse to say that she wants a partner a little closer in age. Maybe the new partner won't last any longer than Dylan would have (heck, first she has to find a partner), but if that's what Kirsten feels is right for her, then that's what she's going to do. It's obviously a very risky move that certainly not everyone would make, but she appears eager to take that risk. It's a shame to see a good partnership go, but what can you do.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    Maybe the new partner won't last any longer than Dylan would have (heck, first she has to find a partner)
    According to the Beverley Smith interview (as well as reports on other sites), Kirsten has already found 2 contenders and there have already been a couple of tryouts. The 2 contenders appear to be Michael Marinaro and Mervin Tran.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'd love to see her with Mervin Tran!

Custom Title
    Do you know whether Dylan had found a new partner?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    It'd be neat to see him pair with Marissa Castelli.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    It'd be neat to see him pair with Marissa Castelli.
    I don't see either country being willing to release quickly and I don't imagine either one wanting to sit on the sidelines for an extended period. Marissa is by far the best US pairs girl and Dylan is IMO Canada's strongesr pair guys even if D/R are the stronger overall team. Its a shame though because neither of them have options on their level within their own countries. He's a great presenter and she's a total star so I do think it could be a great pair. That said, I'd much prefer MT/M and C/S were continuing for their own countries :(

Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I don't see either country being willing to release. Marissa is by far the best US pairs girl and Dylan is IMO Canada's strongesr pair guys even if D/R are the stronger overall team. Its a shame though because neither of them have options on their level within their own countries. He's a great presenter and she's a total star so I do think it could be a great pair.
    I can understand why at this stage in their carers they would not want to sit out 2 seasons, but even if the countries refuse to release, that only lasts 2 years, right?

Dylan could skate with Paige Lawrence, but one of them would have to move across the country, and that might be awkward, since Paige and Kirsten are close friends.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Yes, Sabrina. Lubov Iliushechkina.

She posted this photo of them on the ice to Facebook this morning.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...79598057_n.jpg

Haven't a clue what country they will represent. Canada...? Russia...? Israel...?

Wherever they end up representing, it will be good to see both of them back competing. And back with a good partner at that...

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Apparently the Russian Fed has not released Lubov yet and there's not really any news on whether or not they're willing to right now which is disappointing because I would have really loved to see them compete this year I have met Dylan myself before and I don't think he'd represent a country that is not Canada.

Custom Title
    So What makes this happen? Anyone know the inside scoop as to why Kirsten and Dylan split?

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast