Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Pretty sad to hear this. Like many, I preferred M-T/M over D/R (though I give D/R a lot of credit for the side-by-side triple lutzes). But M-T/M were more fun to watch. None of their tricks came across as "I'm just gonna do this to show that I can!"

I don't think they had no chance against D/R internationally. Didn't they place ahead of D/R in Sochi, or has my memory failed already?

I really hope Kristen finds a new partner and keeps going until 2018. Loved the enthusiasm and personality she brought to the ice. Like Tulosai, I'm a bit worried there's something seriously wrong, since they seemed adamant about continuing.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
This is truly SHOCKING :eek: So, Russian domination with S/K and V/T next season for sure...

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Pretty sad to hear this. Like many, I preferred M-T/M over D/R (though I give D/R a lot of credit for the side-by-side triple lutzes). But M-T/M were more fun to watch. None of their tricks came across as "I'm just gonna do this to show that I can!"

I don't think they had no chance against D/R internationally. Didn't they place ahead of D/R in Sochi, or has my memory failed already?

I really hope Kristen finds a new partner and keeps going until 2018. Loved the enthusiasm and personality she brought to the ice. Like Tulosai, I'm a bit worried there's something seriously wrong, since they seemed adamant about continuing.

They did! MT/M got fifth as opposed to D/R's seventh.
D/R beat them in the short program by one place with a little over a point but MT/M won the free skate by two places and over three points.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Canadian pairs news: According to a number of reports over the past week, Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch have split. Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro have also called it quits.

The M-T/M situation may be a case of retirement by Dylan, rather than a split.

P/M are less surprising because they have been plagued by height problems for quite a while.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Let's all dream of happier times... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGnbTKs0ak

The M-T/M situation may be a case of retirement by Dylan, rather than a split.

P/M are less surprising because they have been plagued by height problems for quite a while.

Yeah but what confuses me is that Dylan clearly was NOT planning to retire. See quotes below, which weren't the only ones he put out there.Emphasis is all mine but if anything he was the more vehement that they wanted to keep going, that HE had asked HER about the next Olympics, that this was their FIRST Olympics, and so on.

Re P/M yes, this if anything was overdue. It is too bad but she is just too tall for pairs skating now.Nothing for anyone to do.

"I slept with it beside my bed the first night I got it," said Moscovitch. "The experience has been everything we hoped for our first Olympics."

As it turned out, this week also marks an anniversary. It was five years ago that the Wirtz's paired the couple up at RIM Park. And there will be many more celebrations to come.

Before leaving the rink, the team committed to taking a run at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

"You know we say we're going to take it one year at a time but why not?" said Moore-Towers, of shooting for a second Games. "Dream big. This is far too much fun."

Moscovitch said he asked his partner about South Korea two days after arriving in Sochi.

"We love the Olympics, we love skating, we love training and we love our lives," said the 29-year-old. "I don't think that we've maxed out. I think we're just starting to hit stride and I'm really excited to see what more we're capable of."

Meoima

Match Penalty
Because Purdy is too high? Is it true that she is 1m66? What is the height gap between pair normally? more than more than 20 cm?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yeah but what confuses me is that Dylan clearly was NOT planning to retire. See quotes below, which weren't the only ones he put out there.Emphasis is all mine but if anything he was the more vehement that they wanted to keep going, that HE had asked HER about the next Olympics, that this was their FIRST Olympics, and so on.

Re P/M yes, this if anything was overdue. It is too bad but she is just too tall for pairs skating now.Nothing for anyone to do.

Yes, you're right that it sounded like Dylan & Kirsten were planning to continue for another Olympic cycle. It's been reported on other forums that Kirsten may skate with Michael Marinaro or Joshua Reagan. Mervin Tran is closest to her ability level, though.

Purdy & Marinaro had a rough time with one of their lifts coming down at 4 Continents a few months ago, so perhaps that was the final issue which made them realize the height problem was becoming too much.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Because Purdy is too high? Is it true that she is 1m66? What is the height gap between pair normally? more than more than 20 cm?

Female pairs skaters are usually around 5 feet tall or so. But Margaret Purdy is about 5'5 or 5'6, which is REALLY tall for a pairs girl. Marinaro is about 5'11, so there wasn't much height between them.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Female pairs skaters are usually around 5 feet tall or so. But Margaret Purdy is about 5'5 or 5'6, which is REALLY tall for a pairs girl. Marinaro is about 5'11, so there wasn't much height between them.

Pretty much this. THe average pairs skater is between 4' 10" and 5'3" (several are 5'3 or around there though so up to that height is workable). Above that though and it gets rough. The minimum height needed for a 'successful' pair is around 8", but many of the top pairs have a greater height difference than that. (Many top ones have 8 or 9 inches though so this difference is workable, but I'd say 8" is a minimum.)

So if a girl is 5'5" she's got to find a partner that is at least 6'1" tall, but ideally taller, and that is if she is very tiny in terms of bone structure etc (Purdy isn't particularly tiny in this way). There are very few male pairs skaters available that are that tall, and most of them would rather have a shorter partner if given a choice, and they do have that choice because most female pairs skaters are, again, much shorter than Purdy.

So basically, she's 'doomed' through no fault of her own.

lmarie086

Medalist
What?! Noo :cry: M-T/M were my favorite team of the Canadian pairs. Totally thought they were going to stay in for four more years; they still have so much room to develop as a team and I just like them so much more than D/R...

First Skate

Rinkside
NOOO!!!! I am so shocked and disappointed!! Kristen and Dylan seemed to be on such a great upward journey! Is this why they're not doing SOI or do they not usually take part anyway?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This is truly SHOCKING :eek: So, Russian domination with S/K and V/T next season for sure...

LOL like on any planet M-T&M were ever going to challenge V&T. D&R realistically have more chance to atleast challenge S&K than M-T&M did The best M-T&M could have hoped for was to edge out D&R and a number of others for the bronze at worlds.

LRK

Record Breaker
My reaction on seeing the thread title was: "Oh, dear!"

Not that I think P/M splitting is that strange. M-T/M though is a shocker, to me at least.

I havn't had time yet to see what everyone else is saying - I'll come back later; looking forward to reading what insights people have to offer.

kresslia

Medalist
Omg no way... I thought MT/M already said they were going to PyeongChang. UGHHHH I loved them...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
LOL like on any planet M-T&M were ever going to challenge V&T. D&R realistically have more chance to atleast challenge S&K than M-T&M did The best M-T&M could have hoped for was to edge out D&R and a number of others for the bronze at worlds.

As someone pointed out above, M-T&M were comparable in ability to D&R. They beat them at the Olympics and finished ahead of them in the LP at Worlds, so with S&S retiring, they would have had a shot at getting onto the podium next year.

Matilda

Medalist
I really hope the M-T/M split is not true. :cry: They are one of my favorite pairs and I love their energy.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I love M-T/M, but they really have little chance of winning against V/T unless it's their best day matched with V/T's worst. They're comparable to D/R... but D/R themselves can't really challenge V/T.

Both Canadian teams have a chance against S/K though, imo. A slim one, but it's there.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

Here is Purdy & Marinaro's last skate together (at 4 Continents in January 2014). Their Casablanca FS is very nice actually, but if you go to about the 3:30 minute mark, you will see a lift come down. The EuroSport commentator then goes on to mention the trouble they have with their lifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4pzS1aMH0

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This is going to be a massive chink in Canada's armour. Its time for purich and tran and lawrence and swiegers to step up now to the task,

Only thing is, Purich and Tran already split, and Lawrence and Swiegers never said for sure that they weren't retiring.