Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

So they are both going to continue but not together. Maybe Dylan could not commit to another cycle so they split.

Good luck to them both and I hope they have success with their new partners.

Is Mervin T. available?

Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post

Is Mervin T. available?
    Assuming he has not decided to retire, he is.

Custom Title
    It reads to me that she wants a commitment for at least one full Olympic cycle, or even two from a new partner.

Dylan says he wants a partner for 2014-2015. BIG difference there--it sounds like he's taking it one year at a time. Considering he's turning 30 in September, that seems reasonable.

Kristen needs to start working with a partner now in order to be at an elite level in 2018. Given the difference in goals the split makes perfect sense.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about their split. I liked them a lot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Is Mervin T. available?
    Some sources on other skating message boards are claiming that Kirsten is more likely to skate with Michael Marinaro.

So I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Custom Title
    I expect the MT/Marinaro pairing to be announced soon. The more interesting question now to me is who Moskovitch might team up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Some sources on other skating message boards are claiming that Kirsten is more likely to skate with Michael Marinaro.

So I guess we'll have to stay tuned.
    Is he any good?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Is he any good?
    Well, Marinaro is a solid pairs skater, but he obviously has much less experience than Kirsten or Dylan because he hasn't been to a (Senior) Worlds yet. Michael and Margaret were 5th at this year's Canadians, and they were the Junior World Silver medalists last year. Margaret's tall height was considered the main problem in that partnership.

Although Marinaro has less experience, one advantage he has over Dylan is that he is much younger. He's almost as young as Kirsten - (Turned 22 earlier this year, and Kirsten will be 22 in a few months).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Marinaro

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    It reads to me that she wants a commitment for at least one full Olympic cycle, or even two from a new partner.

Dylan says he wants a partner for 2014-2015. BIG difference there--it sounds like he's taking it one year at a time. Considering he's turning 30 in September, that seems reasonable.

Kristen needs to start working with a partner now in order to be at an elite level in 2018. Given the difference in goals the split makes perfect sense.
    I wonder how much interest Dylan is going to get from potential partners given that he's only proposing a short-term association. Wouldn't most women skaters be aiming for long-term goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    Well, Marinaro is a solid pairs skater, but he obviously has much less experience than Kirsten or Dylan because he hasn't been to a (Senior) Worlds yet. Michael and Margaret were 4th at this year's Canadians, and they were the Junior World Silver medalists a couple of years ago. Margaret's tall height was considered the main problem in that partnership.

Although Marinaro has less experience than Moore-Towers, one advantage he has over Dylan is that he is much younger. He's almost as young as Kirsten - (Turned 22 earlier this year, and Kirsten will be 22 in a few months).
    That sounds good to me. He looks cute too. I think they will be very good together. Mark my words.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I expect the MT/Marinaro pairing to be announced soon. The more interesting question now to me is who Moskovitch might team up with.
    If things don't work out with Massot, Aljona Savchenko?

Custom Title
    So, how much funding would there be in place with two top-tier skaters each starting a new partnership? I'm sure they get plenty of support from Skate Canada but what happens now if they split the pot in terms of funding? They'll likely have to get new sponsors each.

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    If things don't work out with Massot, Aljona Savchenko?
    I don't think Savchenko would do it, since her goal is to win Olympic gold, and he can't even commit for post-2015.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    I wonder how much interest Dylan is going to get from potential partners given that he's only proposing a short-term association. Wouldn't most women skaters be aiming for long-term goals?
    I think it depends. At a high level, yes. Other less successful pair girls might jump at the chance to have such a strong partner if only for a year or two and hope they can convince him on a year to year basis.

Custom Title
    As much as I loved M-T/M, it sounds like the split makes sense. Kristen wants to go for another Olympics, maybe even two. And who can blame her, considering her age? Dylan sounds like he just wants to go for another year, and then he'll see what happens. Again, understandable due to age. It's probably best for them to split now, to give Kristen the maximum amount of time to train and gel with her new partner for the next Olympics. She won't be able to replicate her results with Dylan right away, but it's good to get an early start (and take the meh results next season) in order to prepare for the long haul.

I wish them both luck.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast