Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

slider11

Medalist
I'm clueless on the Marinaro guy. I vaguely remember he and Margaret and thinking , oh, she better shrink or he better grow if they're going to continue pairs. The shrinking doesn't work but I can't remember how tall he is. I think Kristen is about 5 feet so she has some choices with the 5'8" and above. But I get the need to have a guy who can throw you up or out with some pizzaz. So even an under 6 foot guy might work if he has the musculature to do that. It would be great for Kristen have a guy who could relate to her on the ice. She exudes personality on the ice and a guy who can compliment that would be great. I look forward to seeing her progress.

Mystic

Rinkside
Would love to see Andrew Speroff and KMT skate together. Any chance he would reconsider retirement.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm clueless on the Marinaro guy. I vaguely remember he and Margaret and thinking , oh, she better shrink or he better grow if they're going to continue pairs. The shrinking doesn't work but I can't remember how tall he is. I think Kristen is about 5 feet so she has some choices with the 5'8" and above. But I get the need to have a guy who can throw you up or out with some pizzaz. So even an under 6 foot guy might work if he has the musculature to do that. It would be great for Kristen have a guy who could relate to her on the ice. She exudes personality on the ice and a guy who can compliment that would be great. I look forward to seeing her progress.

Kirsten is about 4'10, I've met her in real life and she was wearing huge heels, I would guess 4 inches and she was still shorter than me (I'm 5'4). She's the same height as Purich so she could go with either Tran or Marinaro since Marinaro is taller than Tran

FS.Addict

Rinkside
Hey i've read on another forum that Natacha Purich and Mervin Tran had split ! Do you guys know anything about that ?

I've watched Tran and Marinaro's last skates with their former partners and the thing about them that i don't like much, although it's clearly not the most important thing, is their side-by-side jumps. They don't seem very consistent, while Kirsten's jumps are really nice.

Also, it seems to me that Marinaro is nowhere near the level of Moscovitch (both on the technical and presentation sides), while Tran, with Takahashi, had beautiful triple twists and throw jumps, but with Purich the throw jumps often looked a little bit out of control. Am i wrong ?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Hey i've read on another forum that Natacha Purich and Mervin Tran had split ! Do you guys know anything about that ?

I've watched Tran and Marinaro's last skates with their former partners and the thing about them that i don't like much, although it's clearly not the most important thing, is their side-by-side jumps. They don't seem very consistent, while Kirsten's jumps are really nice.

Also, it seems to me that Marinaro is nowhere near the level of Moscovitch (both on the technical and presentation sides), while Tran, with Takahashi, had beautiful triple twists and throw jumps, but with Purich the throw jumps often looked a little bit out of control. Am i wrong ?

Your observations are likely correct because the two teams you are describing (Purich & Tran and Purdy & Marinaro) have less experience than Moore-Towers & Moscovitch. M-T & M have been competing at the Senior level for several seasons now, whereas P&T just got together last year and are (or were) a very new team, with Natasha having little experience at this stage.

Likewise, P&M only emerged from the Junior ranks into Senior about a year ago, so while they medalled at the Junior Worlds, they are (or were) fairly new to the Senior level.

meteorlight8

Rinkside
I liked MT/M a lot better than D/R of the Canadian teams, but I can understand the split. If she is aiming to do 1-3 more quads, she's better off going with someone younger now and building up their rep. I think she'd do quite well with either Tran or Marinaro.

EDIT: I've seen both MT and Marinaro irl (but not Tran, sad as he's my favorite of the 3), and while she's tiny, I don't think she's 4'10 tiny - 4'11/5ft seemed more like it (that's pretty much my height so hopefully my gauge was accurate). Marinaro is actually quite big and tall (more so than Moskovitz imo) - Purdy is just ... also really tall. He should be able to handle MT no problem. Not sure about Tran.

I mean, nobody could have guessed Volosozhar/Trankov who were middle-of-the-pack with their former partners would become one of the greatest teams ever after they paired up.

I don't really agree with this. I thought almost EVERYONE thought their pairing would be pretty dominant and challenge S/S for the golds, as both were the better partner in their previous pairings. In fact, some thought their rise to the top would take way less time than it actually took ...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I meant, it's hard to have guessed V/T would have skated as well as they have before they had even competed. We all knew they were the stronger partners but Maxim in particular was a question mark, and Tatiana's experience helped expedite their remarkable progress.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Given this I think her decision was stupid, I am sorry. I continue to wish her all the best, but splitting from someone because they will not commit for two quads is ridiculous.

Moscovitch had absolutely been committed to compete with Moore-Towers for another four years – but he did not want to still be competing when he was 37, the age he’d be if he went for an Olympics eight years from now.

Still, he’d like to continue for another four years and compete at the world level.

She and pair partner Dylan Moscovitch had spoken about committing to another four years, for one more Olympics. But Moore-Towers, still only 21, began to feel that she wanted to do two more, when her partner would be 37 years old. And what that meant was mind-crushing. If she wanted to do two more Olympics, she felt it would be in her best interests to start with somebody new right now.

magicrider

Rinkside
The word deplorable was used by initially to describe the sniping and negative attitude of some of the people responding to this thread, and I stand by that. I did not direct it at any skating pair. I believe we should applaud all Canadian teams who make the effort to represent our country. no pair is perfect , but they are all a beauty to behold!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I meant, it's hard to have guessed V/T would have skated as well as they have before they had even competed. We all knew they were the stronger partners but Maxim in particular was a question mark, and Tatiana's experience helped expedite their remarkable progress.

V/T were a perfect match, their previous partners they had the misfortune of a mismatched pair that prevented them from suceeding
like Ininykh / Zhiganshin, Stepnova / Stepanova, Davankova / Deputat, Purdy / Marinaro, Hawayek / Baker, Duhamel / Radford and other mismatched pairs

truck Driver Morozov and inconsistent Mukhortova were just palin bad partners for them,

TMC

Record Breaker
Given this I think her decision was stupid, I am sorry. I continue to wish her all the best, but splitting from someone because they will not commit for two quads is ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kristen is 22 and can see herself continuing on for another 8 years. Obviously, Dylan at 30 could not share that vision. So from her point of view, the best move was to find a new partner now who would be willing to make an 8-year commitment; with her long-range plan it would be a disaster for her if she stayed with Dylan and in two years he pulled the plug.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Kristen is 22 and can see herself continuing on for another 8 years. Obviously, Dylan at 30 could not share that vision. So from her point of view, the best move was to find a new partner now who would be willing to make an 8-year commitment; with her long-range plan it would be a disaster for her if she stayed with Dylan and in two years he pulled the plug.

This would be true if it were really possible to make an 8 year commitment in figure skating but it's not. Injuries happen and partner splits happen. Whoever she goes with now has just as good of a chance of pulling the plug in 2 years as Dylan, and in fact I'd say a better chance because obviously Dylan was committed to the partnership and he and Kristen were getting good results. She hasn't eliminated the chance of herself being dumped within the next 4 years- IMO, candidly, she's increased it. Barring injury (which could happen to anyone) IMO Dylan was far less likely to bail on her within the next quad than any new partner she may find.

Now certainly I hope for her she finds this magical person who is willing to commit for 8 years and really means it and that they do compete for 8 years why not. But I also think she is 22 and doesn't really 'get' life yet and that committing for 8 years to figures skate, much less with the same person, isn't possible for anyone, including her. By the time she is 26 and (maybe) has another Olys behind her, she may well be ready to retire herself. A lot changes between 22 and 26 for most people.

Being as

1. Dylan definitely was willing to commit for 4 years.
2. Dylan and she are getting good or even great results
3. Dylan and she had potential to improve.
4. The future is inherently uncertain and it's not actually possible, whatever her 22 year old mind might think, to solidify 8 years of future planning before even skating with someone for a whole season...

I think this was all a mistake. I also think it was a mistake on her part and kind of rude not to discuss it with Dylan or her coaches before telling them, especially as she admits that 'high on emotions' in Sochi she'd promised Dylan to go another 4 years with him. I think her coaches might have been able to make her realize this was a mistake... and I truly believe it was a mistake.

With that said, it doesn't matter what I think, she talked to her parents and to her 22 year old friends and made her choice, and I can only continue, as I said before, to wish them both well and hope they will both be successful in finding lasting new partnerships.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
OMG! I think Kerstin decision is quite selfish and wrong. You never know in advance how long are you able to skate. Dylan wanted to continue and had the next Olympics as a target. She won't be able to find a skater of the same quality, at least in Canada. For Dylan it is more difficult to find another skater, good enough for him. They were together since she was 16. I am sure he helped her, but probably they helped each other in the end. I am sad as they were such a beautiful couple. I don't really know what is beyond this decision, but it does not seem to be very wise.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's hard to know how to judge these decisions from the outside. I agree that expecting to skate 2 more quads with an untested partner is a big risk. But ultimately the decision is hers, and we'll have to get used to it.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Even assume Dylan cannot do more quads is wrong. How old was Hongbo Zhao when he won the Olympic gold?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This would be true if it were really possible to make an 8 year commitment in figure skating but it's not. Injuries happen and partner splits happen. Whoever she goes with now has just as good of a chance of pulling the plug in 2 years as Dylan, and in fact I'd say a better chance because obviously Dylan was committed to the partnership and he and Kristen were getting good results. She hasn't eliminated the chance of herself being dumped within the next 4 years- IMO, candidly, she's increased it. Barring injury (which could happen to anyone) IMO Dylan was far less likely to bail on her within the next quad than any new partner she may find.

Now certainly I hope for her she finds this magical person who is willing to commit for 8 years and really means it and that they do compete for 8 years why not. But I also think she is 22 and doesn't really 'get' life yet and that committing for 8 years to figures skate, much less with the same person, isn't possible for anyone, including her. By the time she is 26 and (maybe) has another Olys behind her, she may well be ready to retire herself. A lot changes between 22 and 26 for most people.

Being as

1. Dylan definitely was willing to commit for 4 years.
2. Dylan and she are getting good or even great results
3. Dylan and she had potential to improve.
4. The future is inherently uncertain and it's not actually possible, whatever her 22 year old mind might think, to solidify 8 years of future planning before even skating with someone for a whole season...

I think this was all a mistake. I also think it was a mistake on her part and kind of rude not to discuss it with Dylan or her coaches before telling them, especially as she admits that 'high on emotions' in Sochi she'd promised Dylan to go another 4 years with him. I think her coaches might have been able to make her realize this was a mistake... and I truly believe it was a mistake.

With that said, it doesn't matter what I think, she talked to her parents and to her 22 year old friends and made her choice, and I can only continue, as I said before, to wish them both well and hope they will both be successful in finding lasting new partnerships.

If Dylan was willing to skating barring injury, death etc until 2018 then Ms. k made a huge mistake I think. They were gelling and improving. Wow, what is it with those Canadians. Dumb dumb dumb. chan and no coach and his girfriend's mother who for a while looked like a deer in headlights at skating events -- like Patrick was giving HER support.

gold12345

Medalist
Even assume Dylan cannot do more quads is wrong. How old was Hongbo Zhao when he won the Olympic gold?

True, Zhao was 36, and he won two Olympic medals after sustaining a serious injury (achilles tear). I imagine Dylan is capable of holding up just fine through 33 years old. If you condition and train your body properly (and by all accounts, he is a very hard worker), then age doesn't have to be a real issue. He knows his body better than we do, and it sounds like he was committed to another quad with Kirsten.

But if Kirsten was wanting to get out of the partnership for whatever reasons, then it's a valid excuse to say that she wants a partner a little closer in age. Maybe the new partner won't last any longer than Dylan would have (heck, first she has to find a partner), but if that's what Kirsten feels is right for her, then that's what she's going to do. It's obviously a very risky move that certainly not everyone would make, but she appears eager to take that risk. It's a shame to see a good partnership go, but what can you do.