Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

Custom Title
    I'm clueless on the Marinaro guy. I vaguely remember he and Margaret and thinking , oh, she better shrink or he better grow if they're going to continue pairs. The shrinking doesn't work but I can't remember how tall he is. I think Kristen is about 5 feet so she has some choices with the 5'8" and above. But I get the need to have a guy who can throw you up or out with some pizzaz. So even an under 6 foot guy might work if he has the musculature to do that. It would be great for Kristen have a guy who could relate to her on the ice. She exudes personality on the ice and a guy who can compliment that would be great. I look forward to seeing her progress.

On the Ice
    Would love to see Andrew Speroff and KMT skate together. Any chance he would reconsider retirement.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slider11 View Post
    I'm clueless on the Marinaro guy. I vaguely remember he and Margaret and thinking , oh, she better shrink or he better grow if they're going to continue pairs. The shrinking doesn't work but I can't remember how tall he is. I think Kristen is about 5 feet so she has some choices with the 5'8" and above. But I get the need to have a guy who can throw you up or out with some pizzaz. So even an under 6 foot guy might work if he has the musculature to do that. It would be great for Kristen have a guy who could relate to her on the ice. She exudes personality on the ice and a guy who can compliment that would be great. I look forward to seeing her progress.
    Kirsten is about 4'10, I've met her in real life and she was wearing huge heels, I would guess 4 inches and she was still shorter than me (I'm 5'4). She's the same height as Purich so she could go with either Tran or Marinaro since Marinaro is taller than Tran

Tripping on the Podium
    Hey i've read on another forum that Natacha Purich and Mervin Tran had split ! Do you guys know anything about that ?

I've watched Tran and Marinaro's last skates with their former partners and the thing about them that i don't like much, although it's clearly not the most important thing, is their side-by-side jumps. They don't seem very consistent, while Kirsten's jumps are really nice.

Also, it seems to me that Marinaro is nowhere near the level of Moscovitch (both on the technical and presentation sides), while Tran, with Takahashi, had beautiful triple twists and throw jumps, but with Purich the throw jumps often looked a little bit out of control. Am i wrong ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FS.Addict View Post
    Hey i've read on another forum that Natacha Purich and Mervin Tran had split ! Do you guys know anything about that ?

I've watched Tran and Marinaro's last skates with their former partners and the thing about them that i don't like much, although it's clearly not the most important thing, is their side-by-side jumps. They don't seem very consistent, while Kirsten's jumps are really nice.

Also, it seems to me that Marinaro is nowhere near the level of Moscovitch (both on the technical and presentation sides), while Tran, with Takahashi, had beautiful triple twists and throw jumps, but with Purich the throw jumps often looked a little bit out of control. Am i wrong ?
    Your observations are likely correct because the two teams you are describing (Purich & Tran and Purdy & Marinaro) have less experience than Moore-Towers & Moscovitch. M-T & M have been competing at the Senior level for several seasons now, whereas P&T just got together last year and are (or were) a very new team, with Natasha having little experience at this stage.

Likewise, P&M only emerged from the Junior ranks into Senior about a year ago, so while they medalled at the Junior Worlds, they are (or were) fairly new to the Senior level.

On the Ice
    I liked MT/M a lot better than D/R of the Canadian teams, but I can understand the split. If she is aiming to do 1-3 more quads, she's better off going with someone younger now and building up their rep. I think she'd do quite well with either Tran or Marinaro.

EDIT: I've seen both MT and Marinaro irl (but not Tran, sad as he's my favorite of the 3), and while she's tiny, I don't think she's 4'10 tiny - 4'11/5ft seemed more like it (that's pretty much my height so hopefully my gauge was accurate). Marinaro is actually quite big and tall (more so than Moskovitz imo) - Purdy is just ... also really tall. He should be able to handle MT no problem. Not sure about Tran.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I mean, nobody could have guessed Volosozhar/Trankov who were middle-of-the-pack with their former partners would become one of the greatest teams ever after they paired up.
    I don't really agree with this. I thought almost EVERYONE thought their pairing would be pretty dominant and challenge S/S for the golds, as both were the better partner in their previous pairings. In fact, some thought their rise to the top would take way less time than it actually took ...

Custom Title
    I meant, it's hard to have guessed V/T would have skated as well as they have before they had even competed. We all knew they were the stronger partners but Maxim in particular was a question mark, and Tatiana's experience helped expedite their remarkable progress.

Custom Title

Another pairs partnership has come to an end. Canada's Paige Lawrence and Rudi Swiegers have ended their nine-year collaboration. Swiegers is now looking for a new partner.
    http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4833

Given this I think her decision was stupid, I am sorry. I continue to wish her all the best, but splitting from someone because they will not commit for two quads is ridiculous.

Moscovitch had absolutely been committed to compete with Moore-Towers for another four years – but he did not want to still be competing when he was 37, the age he’d be if he went for an Olympics eight years from now.

Still, he’d like to continue for another four years and compete at the world level.
    She and pair partner Dylan Moscovitch had spoken about committing to another four years, for one more Olympics. But Moore-Towers, still only 21, began to feel that she wanted to do two more, when her partner would be 37 years old. And what that meant was mind-crushing. If she wanted to do two more Olympics, she felt it would be in her best interests to start with somebody new right now.

Rinkside
    The word deplorable was used by initially to describe the sniping and negative attitude of some of the people responding to this thread, and I stand by that. I did not direct it at any skating pair. I believe we should applaud all Canadian teams who make the effort to represent our country. no pair is perfect , but they are all a beauty to behold!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I meant, it's hard to have guessed V/T would have skated as well as they have before they had even competed. We all knew they were the stronger partners but Maxim in particular was a question mark, and Tatiana's experience helped expedite their remarkable progress.
    V/T were a perfect match, their previous partners they had the misfortune of a mismatched pair that prevented them from suceeding
    like Ininykh / Zhiganshin, Stepnova / Stepanova, Davankova / Deputat, Purdy / Marinaro, Hawayek / Baker, Duhamel / Radford and other mismatched pairs

truck Driver Morozov and inconsistent Mukhortova were just palin bad partners for them,

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Given this I think her decision was stupid, I am sorry. I continue to wish her all the best, but splitting from someone because they will not commit for two quads is ridiculous.
    Yeah, I agree.

Custom Title
    Kristen is 22 and can see herself continuing on for another 8 years. Obviously, Dylan at 30 could not share that vision. So from her point of view, the best move was to find a new partner now who would be willing to make an 8-year commitment; with her long-range plan it would be a disaster for her if she stayed with Dylan and in two years he pulled the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Kristen is 22 and can see herself continuing on for another 8 years. Obviously, Dylan at 30 could not share that vision. So from her point of view, the best move was to find a new partner now who would be willing to make an 8-year commitment; with her long-range plan it would be a disaster for her if she stayed with Dylan and in two years he pulled the plug.
    This would be true if it were really possible to make an 8 year commitment in figure skating but it's not. Injuries happen and partner splits happen. Whoever she goes with now has just as good of a chance of pulling the plug in 2 years as Dylan, and in fact I'd say a better chance because obviously Dylan was committed to the partnership and he and Kristen were getting good results. She hasn't eliminated the chance of herself being dumped within the next 4 years- IMO, candidly, she's increased it. Barring injury (which could happen to anyone) IMO Dylan was far less likely to bail on her within the next quad than any new partner she may find.

Now certainly I hope for her she finds this magical person who is willing to commit for 8 years and really means it and that they do compete for 8 years why not. But I also think she is 22 and doesn't really 'get' life yet and that committing for 8 years to figures skate, much less with the same person, isn't possible for anyone, including her. By the time she is 26 and (maybe) has another Olys behind her, she may well be ready to retire herself. A lot changes between 22 and 26 for most people.

Being as

1. Dylan definitely was willing to commit for 4 years.
    2. Dylan and she are getting good or even great results
    3. Dylan and she had potential to improve.
    4. The future is inherently uncertain and it's not actually possible, whatever her 22 year old mind might think, to solidify 8 years of future planning before even skating with someone for a whole season...

I think this was all a mistake. I also think it was a mistake on her part and kind of rude not to discuss it with Dylan or her coaches before telling them, especially as she admits that 'high on emotions' in Sochi she'd promised Dylan to go another 4 years with him. I think her coaches might have been able to make her realize this was a mistake... and I truly believe it was a mistake.

With that said, it doesn't matter what I think, she talked to her parents and to her 22 year old friends and made her choice, and I can only continue, as I said before, to wish them both well and hope they will both be successful in finding lasting new partnerships.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast