Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

Have either MT or M or Skate Canada confirmed this? Does anyone have a link to a source other than the facebook page, which is incredibly vague, that says this?

I have a hard time believing it, not because I particularly like them, but because they have been 100% explicit that they were going for 2018 in many post Olympic and post World interviews, and this does not strike me as an I/K situation where one of them was saying it and didn't mean it. If it is true that they are splitting, I fear something is wrong with one of them healthwise or something similar.

umm...
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Have either MT or M or Skate Canada confirmed this? Does anyone have a link to a source other than the facebook page, which is incredibly vague, that says this?

I have a hard time believing it, not because I particularly like them, but because they have been 100% explicit that they were going for 2018 in many post Olympic and post World interviews, and this does not strike me as an I/K situation where one of them was saying it and didn't mean it. If it is true that they are splitting, I fear something is wrong with one of them healthwise or something similar.
    There's no official confirmation yet.
    IFS magazine is well known and respected. I'm sure We well get the confirmation sooner than later.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Jeez. It's almost like everybody got home from Sochi, recovered from their jetlag, looked at their partners and thought "Screw you, man. I'm out."
    Too bad, I liked them as a pair.

Custom Title
    Bummer! Dylan will be 30 in Sept and Kristen 22 in July. She definitely has the talent and youth for 2018. They came so close so often just getting nudged by Duhamel and Radford. I know D/R won the bronze but I far preferred M-T/M. I hope like Weaver and Poje they would hang around to make their move. I hope, if this is true that Kristen lands with someone soon and stays with Wirtz and Wirtz as coaches.

Custom Title
    What is going on in Figure Skating? It's been a crazy off season and it's still not over.

I was a big fan of MT/M, I expected them to be on the worlds podium for the next olympic cycle. I much prefer them to D/R but as a previous poster said the international judges didn't agree. Not surprised with P/M, she just got to tall for them but they had a nice style on the ice.

Banned
    terrible for MT/M
    I was hoping it would have been D/R

Custom Title
    Pretty sad to hear this. Like many, I preferred M-T/M over D/R (though I give D/R a lot of credit for the side-by-side triple lutzes). But M-T/M were more fun to watch. None of their tricks came across as "I'm just gonna do this to show that I can!"

I don't think they had no chance against D/R internationally. Didn't they place ahead of D/R in Sochi, or has my memory failed already?

I really hope Kristen finds a new partner and keeps going until 2018. Loved the enthusiasm and personality she brought to the ice. Like Tulosai, I'm a bit worried there's something seriously wrong, since they seemed adamant about continuing.

This is truly SHOCKING So, Russian domination with S/K and V/T next season for sure...

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Pretty sad to hear this. Like many, I preferred M-T/M over D/R (though I give D/R a lot of credit for the side-by-side triple lutzes). But M-T/M were more fun to watch. None of their tricks came across as "I'm just gonna do this to show that I can!"

I don't think they had no chance against D/R internationally. Didn't they place ahead of D/R in Sochi, or has my memory failed already?

I really hope Kristen finds a new partner and keeps going until 2018. Loved the enthusiasm and personality she brought to the ice. Like Tulosai, I'm a bit worried there's something seriously wrong, since they seemed adamant about continuing.
    They did! MT/M got fifth as opposed to D/R's seventh.
    D/R beat them in the short program by one place with a little over a point but MT/M won the free skate by two places and over three points.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow63 View Post
    Canadian pairs news: According to a number of reports over the past week, Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch have split. Margaret Purdy and Michael Marinaro have also called it quits.
    The M-T/M situation may be a case of retirement by Dylan, rather than a split.

P/M are less surprising because they have been plagued by height problems for quite a while.

Let's all dream of happier times... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGnbTKs0ak

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    The M-T/M situation may be a case of retirement by Dylan, rather than a split.

P/M are less surprising because they have been plagued by height problems for quite a while.
    Yeah but what confuses me is that Dylan clearly was NOT planning to retire. See quotes below, which weren't the only ones he put out there.Emphasis is all mine but if anything he was the more vehement that they wanted to keep going, that HE had asked HER about the next Olympics, that this was their FIRST Olympics, and so on.

Re P/M yes, this if anything was overdue. It is too bad but she is just too tall for pairs skating now.Nothing for anyone to do.

"I slept with it beside my bed the first night I got it," said Moscovitch. "The experience has been everything we hoped for our first Olympics."

As it turned out, this week also marks an anniversary. It was five years ago that the Wirtz's paired the couple up at RIM Park. And there will be many more celebrations to come.

Before leaving the rink, the team committed to taking a run at the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

"You know we say we're going to take it one year at a time but why not?" said Moore-Towers, of shooting for a second Games. "Dream big. This is far too much fun."

Moscovitch said he asked his partner about South Korea two days after arriving in Sochi.

"We love the Olympics, we love skating, we love training and we love our lives," said the 29-year-old. "I don't think that we've maxed out. I think we're just starting to hit stride and I'm really excited to see what more we're capable of."

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Because Purdy is too high? Is it true that she is 1m66? What is the height gap between pair normally? more than more than 20 cm?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yeah but what confuses me is that Dylan clearly was NOT planning to retire. See quotes below, which weren't the only ones he put out there.Emphasis is all mine but if anything he was the more vehement that they wanted to keep going, that HE had asked HER about the next Olympics, that this was their FIRST Olympics, and so on.

Re P/M yes, this if anything was overdue. It is too bad but she is just too tall for pairs skating now.Nothing for anyone to do.
    Yes, you're right that it sounded like Dylan & Kirsten were planning to continue for another Olympic cycle. It's been reported on other forums that Kirsten may skate with Michael Marinaro or Joshua Reagan. Mervin Tran is closest to her ability level, though.

Purdy & Marinaro had a rough time with one of their lifts coming down at 4 Continents a few months ago, so perhaps that was the final issue which made them realize the height problem was becoming too much.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Because Purdy is too high? Is it true that she is 1m66? What is the height gap between pair normally? more than more than 20 cm?
    Female pairs skaters are usually around 5 feet tall or so. But Margaret Purdy is about 5'5 or 5'6, which is REALLY tall for a pairs girl. Marinaro is about 5'11, so there wasn't much height between them.

Female pairs skaters are usually around 5 feet tall or so. But Margaret Purdy is about 5'5 or 5'6, which is REALLY tall for a pairs girl. Marinaro is about 5'11, so there wasn't much height between them.
    Pretty much this. THe average pairs skater is between 4' 10" and 5'3" (several are 5'3 or around there though so up to that height is workable). Above that though and it gets rough. The minimum height needed for a 'successful' pair is around 8", but many of the top pairs have a greater height difference than that. (Many top ones have 8 or 9 inches though so this difference is workable, but I'd say 8" is a minimum.)

So if a girl is 5'5" she's got to find a partner that is at least 6'1" tall, but ideally taller, and that is if she is very tiny in terms of bone structure etc (Purdy isn't particularly tiny in this way). There are very few male pairs skaters available that are that tall, and most of them would rather have a shorter partner if given a choice, and they do have that choice because most female pairs skaters are, again, much shorter than Purdy.

So basically, she's 'doomed' through no fault of her own.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast