Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

What?! Noo M-T/M were my favorite team of the Canadian pairs. Totally thought they were going to stay in for four more years; they still have so much room to develop as a team and I just like them so much more than D/R...

Rinkside
    NOOO!!!! I am so shocked and disappointed!! Kristen and Dylan seemed to be on such a great upward journey! Is this why they're not doing SOI or do they not usually take part anyway?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    This is truly SHOCKING So, Russian domination with S/K and V/T next season for sure...
    LOL like on any planet M-T&M were ever going to challenge V&T. D&R realistically have more chance to atleast challenge S&K than M-T&M did The best M-T&M could have hoped for was to edge out D&R and a number of others for the bronze at worlds.

Custom Title
    My reaction on seeing the thread title was: "Oh, dear!"

Not that I think P/M splitting is that strange. M-T/M though is a shocker, to me at least.

I havn't had time yet to see what everyone else is saying - I'll come back later; looking forward to reading what insights people have to offer.

Custom Title
    Omg no way... I thought MT/M already said they were going to PyeongChang. UGHHHH I loved them...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    LOL like on any planet M-T&M were ever going to challenge V&T. D&R realistically have more chance to atleast challenge S&K than M-T&M did The best M-T&M could have hoped for was to edge out D&R and a number of others for the bronze at worlds.
    As someone pointed out above, M-T&M were comparable in ability to D&R. They beat them at the Olympics and finished ahead of them in the LP at Worlds, so with S&S retiring, they would have had a shot at getting onto the podium next year.

Custom Title
    I really hope the M-T/M split is not true. They are one of my favorite pairs and I love their energy.

Custom Title
    I love M-T/M, but they really have little chance of winning against V/T unless it's their best day matched with V/T's worst. They're comparable to D/R... but D/R themselves can't really challenge V/T.

Both Canadian teams have a chance against S/K though, imo. A slim one, but it's there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Because Purdy is too high? Is it true that she is 1m66? What is the height gap between pair normally? more than more than 20 cm?
    Here is Purdy & Marinaro's last skate together (at 4 Continents in January 2014). Their Casablanca FS is very nice actually, but if you go to about the 3:30 minute mark, you will see a lift come down. The EuroSport commentator then goes on to mention the trouble they have with their lifts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4pzS1aMH0

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    This is going to be a massive chink in Canada's armour. Its time for purich and tran and lawrence and swiegers to step up now to the task,
    Only thing is, Purich and Tran already split, and Lawrence and Swiegers never said for sure that they weren't retiring.

This team was habitually underscored. There is no room in FS for more than top 3 in world to make a living in any place but Japan or Russia where FS is still big. They had very difficult lifts. I thought they were awesome. Moore-Towers and DM. Too bad!!!!!. A loss for top pairs. Gee I wish VT and Aliona and? would quit so this team could move up. I'll bet they said, poo, forget it to hear VT are not retiring. But really, Aliona will find? She should give it up and do shows with Robin In Japan, Europe, Russia. And Pang TOng are done, right? This was a bad move...this pair should get attention they deserve with the change of quad.

Custom Title
    But are Aliona Savchenko and Bruno Massott even going to be at Worlds next year? I thought I read that they have to sit a year out while someone awaits release. And even if they do, Bruno isn't anywhere near Aliona's level at this point. They won't likely be on the podium their first year together. I don't see why M-T/M would be discouraged from continuing just because Aliona S. is continuing with a new partner. As mentioned above, they are also capable of beating D/R, as they did at the Olympics. So they could still get on the podium.

And obviously M-T will be less likely to get on the podium in the initial years with her new partner while they get used to competing together and earn their dues from the judges. So there may be more to it than that. It may just be one of them is ready to retire and they have different career plans at this point.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Cat View Post
    Is there something in the water? Something in the air? Why so many splits in the FS world? I liked M-T/M, more than D/R. This is a sad night.
    I liked them, too -- was looking forward to seeing how they would develop in 2014-2015.

Also like orange cats!

Custom Title
    I preferred Kirsten & Dylan to Meghan & Eric, too. Kirsten & Dylan seem warmer and more personable and fun. Meghan & Eric can be good technicians, but they tend to go through the motions somewhat cold and mechanically at times without as much artistry.

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    I always just liked the vibe I got from Kirsten and Dylan. They always seemed to love performing and each other. I hope they'll reconsider - this year could be the year where they finally overtake Meghan and Eric at Canadian nationals again.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast