Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pairs news: M-T/M and P/M have split

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    bragging in the press and media is still arrogance
    To me arrogance is NOT the same as bad sportsmanship. However, even if it were, I don't think what they said was so terribly arrogant. YMMV of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That may be the case but Gold has owned Osmond since Katelyn beat Gracie at SC in 2012.
    True, but Osmond has been injured, and had to miss the GP last season so her progress has stagnated. It's actually remarkable that she nailed her first 3F+3T in her World SP considering that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateToronto View Post
    Canadian figure skaters do not have appalling sportsmanship or attitudes. You are confusing to them with the figure skaters from the classless country immediately to the south of Canada.
    Or to the west of them. (Just kidding.)

Point is, there are good and bad role models from every country, and all competitive athletes have been known to say things or do things that are unbecoming or unsportsmanlike but you can't apply their attitude as the attitude of every Canadian/Russian/American/etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    The reason I'm pointing this out Sk8Boi is sky_fly is a Gracie uber who conveniently forgets when her favourite skater has a crappy GP season and fails to medal at Worlds, but does well at the Olympics, but then is so quick to diss D/R when they actually got 2 GP medals, qualified for the GPF, and medaled at Worlds. She is clinging to Gold's 4th place finish in Sochi like it somehow makes her the one to watch (when obviously Julia is). To call D/R "deplorable" when their results have been way better than Gracie Gold... well, what does that make Gracie. For the record, I don't think any of them are "deplorable" skaters, and I like MT/M, D/R, Osmond and Gold... the only deplorable thing I find is sky_fly's attitude and her hypocrisy should be called out.
    D/R are pair skater while Gracie a a ladies singles
    you were the one who dragged her placements when its a pairs thread
    your right it doesn't change the fact D/R are dishonorable pair skaters

Custom Title
    D/R are pair skater while Gracie a a ladies singles
    you were the one who dragged her placements when its a pairs thread
    your right it doesn't change the fact D/R are dishonorable pair skaters
    It's your opinion that they're dishonourable. And absolutely hilarious coming from someone with your stank attitude with the rudest things to say about skaters.

Also, I love how you say crap like D/R haven't even won a GPF medal while B/L and S/H have, and conveniently forget that other skaters you like haven't even made the GPF. And conveniently forget D/R have won World medals (two of them), unlike B/L and S/H.

Whatevs. D/R have won the past two World bronzes, and have won the past 3 Canadian Nationals over MT/M. Sorry if that's hard for you to stomach, but it is what it is.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Stojko, Lloyd Eisler, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan, Sale & Pelletier, Bourne & Kraatz, Manley (just read her book, the butthurt makes you ache). Anymore questions?
    LLoyd Eisler was a bit of hot head, but he was also skating at time when there was vote-fixing in the judging system. I liked G&G for their beauty and grace on the ice, but they were overmarked when they made their Olympic comeback considering the errors Sergei made on the jumps.

I do agree that Chan has been arrogant at times and should have focused more on learning to skate a clean LP over the past few seasons rather than listing his accomplishments after every event.

But none of this is that unusual compared to things skaters in other countries say. Since we're Canadian shouldn't we support our figure skaters on the whole unless they say something really unforgivable?

Custom Title
    To get back to the original topic, I'm very distressed to hear that M-T/M are breaking up, because they seemed to be climbing through the ranks and had promise for the future. It's hard to stay interested in pairs as a fan when so few pairs, especially from North America, seem to be able to gain traction in terms of international results. Even in Europe and China, many of the most interesting pairs are retiring. It's a real drought in this discipline right now, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    To get back to the original topic, I'm very distressed to hear that M-T/M are breaking up, because they seemed to be climbing through the ranks and had promise for the future. It's hard to stay interested in pairs as a fan when so few pairs, especially from North America, seem to be able to gain traction in terms of international results. Even in Europe and China, many of the most interesting pairs are retiring. It's a real drought in this discipline right now, it seems.
    YES it is SO disheartening. I start to like Marley and Brubaker, they rip my heart out. I start to like MT/M, they rip my heart out. It really does start to feel like what's the point.

Custom Title
    I agree we should get back on topic. This thread is supposed to be about news on Canadian pairs for next season and which partnerships will be taking place.

I also agree that one of the challenges of being involved with figure skating or being a fan or supporter is that it can be difficult to see the teams we invest in split and go separate ways, particularly if it doesn't happen amicably. Partner switching has become more common in the modern age than was the case several decades ago, but perhaps that is just a reflection of the times.

But as we can see from the reactions above, skaters need to keep in mind that while it is ultimately their decision as to who they partner with, they risk losing the loyalty of their fanbase if they make too many switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I agree we should get back on topic. This thread is supposed to be about news on Canadian pairs for next season and which partnerships will be taking place.

I also agree that one of the challenges of being involved with figure skating or being a fan or supporter is that it can be difficult to see the teams we invest in split and go separate ways, particularly if it doesn't happen amicably. Partner switching has become more common in the modern age than was the case several decades ago, but perhaps that is just a reflection of the times.

But as we can see from the reactions above, skaters need to keep in mind that while it is ultimately their decision as to who they partner with, they risk losing the loyalty of their fanbase if they make too many switches.
    Yes, but even still, the teams who tend to medal, at least at major events usually have been together for AT LEAST a whole cycle. In dance, this is even more true and the 'winning' teams have usually been together a LONG time. I frankly don't understand how split-happy a lot of teams seem to be, ESPECIALLY in North America, and there especially in the USA. It is as though they expect instant results (instant=within 2 seasons) and when they fail to get this they move on to the next train wreck, giving it a go for 2 seasons and when not winning world medals, giving up and trying the next partner, almost like they are switching pairs of shoes.

By way of illustration, at the Olympic games in 2010 and 2014, the top pairs:

2014: V/T together 4 years. However, they had really ABNORMALLY fast and good results, almost UNIQUELY so in how quickly they gelled. They are definitely an anomoly.
    S/K together 5 years of which they spent 2 in juniors, and only really started getting great results this year, their 5th year together.
    S/S together 11 years, did not start getting good results until their third year together.

2010: Shen/Xhao: Had been together 18 years. It took them 6 years to get anything resembling good results .
    Pang/Tong: Had been together 17 years. Incidentally were 4th in 2014 having been together 21 years. Were together 8 years before starting to get really good results.
    S/S: At this time had been together 7 years.

the top Ice Dance:

1st and 2nd: V/M D/W in whatever order. Both together 13 and then 17 years. Both many years before excellent results, but D/W especially so.
    3rd: DomShabs: Together 8 years. 5 years before great results.
    3rd: I/K. Together 6 years + a few years as children. Only started getting great results this year, their 6th together.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Hah, but the reality is, Osmond has an Olympic silver and Gold has an Olympic bronze, and neither has a World medal. Osmond also has 2 international wins (including a GP), and Gold has none. Also a fact. All your whining and hatred doesn't change these simple facts.
    Osmond had the lowest ranking of all the Canadians in the team event. She was 5th in the SP out of ten, and 5th in the FS out of five. The Canadian men were ranked 3rd and 2nd; Canadian pairs 2nd and 2nd; and dance 2nd and 2nd.

The US ladies finished 4th and 2nd in the team event, and it was Abbott who took the US out of contention for silver.

As far as Osmond vs. Gold is concerned, all of Osmond's international wins in 2012 were in the early season, but she tailed off after Nationals while Gold improved her performances. Since Osmond beat Gold at SC 2012 (Osmond's last international win) Gold beat Osmond at 2013 4CC, Worlds 2013, WTT 2013, Sochi team, Sochi Ladies and Worlds 2014.

Yes, I realize Kaetlyn has suffered from injury this season, but it appears the injury has been due to Kaetlyn's efforts to up her technical ante, which she needs to do to be competitive with Gold and the other top skaters, as Kaetlyn is limited by the lack of a loop jump and her inconsistency with 3f+3t.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond had the lowest ranking of all the Canadians in the team event. She was 5th in the SP out of ten, and 5th in the FS out of five. The Canadian men were ranked 3rd and 2nd; Canadian pairs 2nd and 2nd; and dance 2nd and 2nd.

The US ladies finished 4th and 2nd in the team event, and it was Abbott who took the US out of contention for silver.

As far as Osmond vs. Gold is concerned, all of Osmond's international wins in 2012 were in the early season, but she tailed off after Nationals while Gold improved her performances. Since Osmond beat Gold at SC 2012 (Osmond's last international win) Gold beat Osmond at 2013 4CC, Worlds 2013, WTT 2013, Sochi team, Sochi Ladies and Worlds 2014.

Yes, I realize Kaetlyn has suffered from injury this season, but it appears the injury has been due to Kaetlyn's efforts to up her technical ante, which she needs to do to be competitive with Gold and the other top skaters, as Kaetlyn is limited by the lack of a loop jump and her inconsistency with 3f+3t.
    you forgot the flutz !!!!

you forgot the flutz !!!!
    Gracie has a "lip !!!!" I love that we're so excited about edge calls, sky_fly.

Are MT/M really splitting?

Custom Title
    So back to Moore-Towers and Moskovitch splitting. Terrible! I really enjoyed them at found them not only technically good but artistically very pleasing. Meghan and Eric are mechanical. I always hated seeing Meghan "lecture" Eric at the end of each performance. Give it a break. I presume Dylan is the one stepping away. So best wishes to Kristen in finding an equal - and make it fast!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Osmond had the lowest ranking of all the Canadians in the team event. She was 5th in the SP out of ten, and 5th in the FS out of five.
    While it might seem harsh and she skated an excellent SP and decent LP if one wants to be frank Osmond single handedly took Team Canada from gold to silver. Canada lost the gold to Russia by 7 points. Osmond gave up 8 points to Julia L. There you have it.

CSG using that as something to base Osmond > Gold on is utter desperation and straw grasping even for his standards. Atleast her Skate Canada win (while questionable at best) could atleast be something valid.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast