Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar

News American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

...The president of U.S. Figure Skating Patricia St. Peter provided information on international skating scene activities by its officials, Peter Murray, the editor of Blazing Blades website, reported on his Facebook….

“Some ask why U.S. Figure Skating has not made a public statement against president Cinquanta’s “proposal” [to eliminate the short program] and criticize U.S. Figure Skating for its “silence.” We have not issued a public statement opposing President Cinquanta’s “proposal” because there is no proposal to eliminate the short program that has been submitted for vote at the next ISU Congress.” St. Peter said....

The statements in the ISU President’s email were his personal opinions, and he was seeking comment on them from ISU officeholders. Please be assured that if a proposal to eliminate the short program had been submitted for the 2014 Congress agenda, U.S. Figure Skating would have strongly and vigorously advocated against it.” the U.S. Figure Skating president added.

Patricia St. Peter also noted that U.S. Figure Skating, along with Russia and Greece, submitted proposals for ISU Congress to eliminate the anonymity of the judges’ scores at ISU Championship events and the Olympic Winter Games.
    Read the full article here from WFS.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-27-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    GREECE
    RUSSIA
    USA

No more anonymous judging.

Thanks for the post. The ISU does have a knack of stirring up controversy, then backpedalling and saying, "Who us? We never made any such proposals."

Good on USA, Russia, and Greece.

(I had to edit the original post for copyright reasons. Correct procedure is to give brief quotes from the article, then a link.)

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    (I had to edit the original post for copyright reasons. Correct procedure is to give brief quotes from the article, then a link.)
    Thank you very much. :D

I am just thinking, if it's just 3 feds, it wouldn't be enough, isn't it? Even though Russian and USA fed are big. I hope Cadana and Japan will also join the proposal. But will there be any conflict of interest?

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Much respect to USA, Greece, and Russia!!! I'm sure more to come.

The ISU has something like 68 members. I believe that each member federation, regardless of size, has an equal vote in the general assembly. According to Visalia Pete's article it takes two-thirds to pass. So the question will come down to whether the sponsors can convince a lot of small federations, who do not really have a stake in the outcome, that eliminating anonymous judging is good for the sport as a whole.

The ISU leadership is opposed and wants to keep anonymous judging. I believe that what happens is that the Council prepares an agenda for the Congress, listing all the proposals that will come up for a vote, and explaining why the ISU leadership endorses or opposes each. I have no idea about what sort of politicking is available to delegates on both sides. What inducement might Mr. Cinquanta offer to, say, Andorra or Singapore, to vote one way or another? I believe that the speed skating side gets to vote, too.
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-27-2014 at 03:48 PM.

If I were a judge I would resign before becoming anonymous.

No one in favor of judging anonymity has any credibility with me.

Good on the US, Greece and Russia for challenging this crooked stupidity.

Custom Title
    I believe that the speed skating side gets to vote, too.
    I really don't understand how the ISU works, but the speed skating side gets to vote on figure skating proposals?

^ I am having a senior moment right now, but my fuzzy remembrance is that this was very important in securing approval for the IJS in 2002. IIRC the figure skating side was split, but by a parliamentary maneuver it was ruled that the changes affected both sides because of revenue sharing, so the new judging system was passed handily. (Someone please correct me if this is an incorrect account.)

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I really don't understand how the ISU works, but the speed skating side gets to vote on figure skating proposals?
    I really think they should split into different unions under the ISU. FS needs a shot in the arm and speedy isn't helping it.

Custom Title
    ^Agreed. The disciplines are so different from each other, cross-interference makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    If I were a judge I would resign before becoming anonymous.
    It might be that some judges like anonymity so that they can deflect the death threats off onto the skaters.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It might be that some judges like anonymity so that they can deflect the death threats off onto the skaters.
    While that is funny to ponder. Aren't the judges the ones to likely be faced with Mafia like pressure? Maybe they wouldn't be just threats to a judge. I highly doubt any skaters are faced with anything so serious if they fail to do as instructed

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LyraAngelica View Post
    I really think they should split into different unions under the ISU. FS needs a shot in the arm and speedy isn't helping it.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Just because they are events that happen on ice doesn't mean they should be governed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Aren't the judges the ones to likely be faced with Mafia like pressure? Maybe they wouldn't be just threats to a judge. I highly doubt any skaters are faced with anything so serious if they fail to do as instructed
    I hope not. I sincerely hope that organized crime is too busy with with selling drugs and guns and whatnot to worry about who wins a skating contest. Football (soccer), yes. Lots of money is bet on football.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast