American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:clap: for USA, Russia, and Greece!

And when did the proposal to get rid of SPs come up again? (I'm confused...)

:laugh: Mathman.
There were recent reports that Cinquanta was sending around an internal memo/suggestion to remove short programs. Now it seems like it wasn't a formal proposal, but anyway, lucky Speedy didn't get his way. (Going by memory here, so correct me folks if I'm wrong).

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'm just stuck to wondering if Speedy wanted the proposals to go through or if he only said it for the shock value :confused2:

I'm very happy the US, Greek, and Russian feds have thrown their power towards disabling anonymous judging. Other three federations that could definitely help with the power they have - Canadian, Japanese, and perhaps the French feds would help by supporting. Especially the former two.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
There were recent reports that Cinquanta was sending around an internal memo/suggestion to remove short programs. Now it seems like it wasn't a formal proposal, but anyway, lucky Speedy didn't get his way. (Going by memory here, so correct me folks if I'm wrong).

Thanks sandpiper!

I'm against it, but I'm probably biased due to my love of SPs.... thank god it's not official.

I'm just stuck to wondering if Speedy wanted the proposals to go through or if he only said it for the shock value :confused2:

My guess is that the "shock value" was to put ISU delegates on the alert that they would have to come up with a drastic scheme to cut expenses going forward.

Ven

Match Penalty
Why would anyone take St. Peter's word that USA, Greece, and Russia are in favor of anonymous judging?
Have they taken any steps to force a vote? Have they done anything?

More "listen to what we say, not what we do" going on here.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Glad to see the Americans fighting back.

Something I can agree with them on. :agree:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Americans submitted a proposal to this year's ISU Congress to get rid of anonymous judging. Since the list of proposals has been circulated to the federations, I expect St. Peter has heard from federation presidents who agree with her proposal.

whatif

Medalist
So it's not Korea but Russia who actually and officially against the current judging rules?

So where all the anti-Russian consipiracists now?

Mafke

Medalist

Secret judging hurts winners in disputed events more than anyone else. Had the results in Sochi been more transparent then maybe there wouldn't be so much negative feeling toward Sotnikova (again, I'm not saying for sure she didn't deserve gold, but the anonymity there is a poison pill...... I stopped trusting the judges in 2002 and a new judging system and secret judging hasn't changed that.

FS.Addict

Rinkside
So it's not Korea but Russia who actually and officially against the current judging rules?

Well don't forget next olympics are in Korea...

Maybe Russia is afraid Korea will be seeking revenge :slink:

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Secret judging hurts winners in disputed events more than anyone else. Had the results in Sochi been more transparent then maybe there wouldn't be so much negative feeling toward Sotnikova (again, I'm not saying for sure she didn't deserve gold, but the anonymity there is a poison pill...... I stopped trusting the judges in 2002 and a new judging system and secret judging hasn't changed that.

I agree with you. All the secrecy is just making it hard to trust the system. I applaud any country that wants the judges and their marks identified.

Alba

Record Breaker
I agree wholeheartedly. Just because they are events that happen on ice doesn't mean they should be governed the same.

You can't though. There are many Fed's under speed skating because they are small or don't have enough funds to have their own FS Fed.

Alba

Record Breaker
Secret judging hurts winners in disputed events more than anyone else.

People are still talking about Lillehammer. :slink: :laugh:
I welcome the proposal, but I still think some fans will never be happy, no matter what. ;)

Had the results in Sochi been more transparent then maybe there wouldn't be so much negative feeling toward Sotnikova

That's stupid though isn't it? I mean what does Sotnikova got to do with the scoring?

Mafke

Medalist
People are still talking about Lillehammer. :slink: :laugh:
I welcome the proposal, but I still think some fans will never be happy, no matter what. ;)

The talk about Lillehammer is very different.

As I've said before.

Close results that could have gone either way are very good for the sport, they're a favorite topic of fans who like to explore different 'what if?' scenarios. As long as fans trust that the judges are honest.

Close results that could have gone wither way when the fans don't trust the judges are very bad for the sport.

A should be close result that isn't (when fans don't trust the judges) is even worse for the sport and will

That's stupid though isn't it? I mean what does Sotnikova got to do with the scoring?

Had the judging been more transparent, maybe her victory wouldn't be tainted by 'skating while Russian' suspicions. But the big problem is that if a knowledgeable fan watches both performances they're really close. But the judges' marks aren't close. Sotnikova had won before Kim skated. If fans aren't prone to trust that the judges are honest then they're gonna be suspicious and the innocent skater is the one who's going to feel the brunt of the suspicion.

cooper

Medalist

well.. sochi is over... they already accomplished what they should accomplish.. :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
well.. sochi is over... they already accomplished what they should accomplish.. :p
:think: What a pity for Russians because they are having dozen of prodigies who would be ready for the next Olympic. Or maybe that's the reason? They know how to rig the scores anonymously, so they want to prevent it happen?