Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 66

Thread: American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

  1. #16
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,823
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Just because they are events that happen on ice doesn't mean they should be governed the same.
    Yes. If having ice as a sole common element is enough, why isn't the ISU the governing body for ice hockey as well? Not to mention curling, broomball, and bartending?

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post


    Yes. If having ice as a sole common element is enough, why isn't the ISU the governing body for ice hockey as well? Not to mention curling, broomball, and bartending?

  3. #18
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,660
    Here is the 2012 World Bartending Champion, Hiroyuki Yamada of Japan. (He won on the second mark in this judged sport.)

    http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle....35VxBvkp.dpuf

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    429
    for USA, Russia, and Greece!

    And when did the proposal to get rid of SPs come up again? (I'm confused...)

    Mathman.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    815
    Cinquanta should have been replaced years ago. This old fart has been around for far too long. No wonder the general public has such a negative view of this sport.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    for USA, Russia, and Greece!

    And when did the proposal to get rid of SPs come up again? (I'm confused...)

    Mathman.
    There were recent reports that Cinquanta was sending around an internal memo/suggestion to remove short programs. Now it seems like it wasn't a formal proposal, but anyway, lucky Speedy didn't get his way. (Going by memory here, so correct me folks if I'm wrong).

  7. #22
    P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    515
    I'm just stuck to wondering if Speedy wanted the proposals to go through or if he only said it for the shock value

    I'm very happy the US, Greek, and Russian feds have thrown their power towards disabling anonymous judging. Other three federations that could definitely help with the power they have - Canadian, Japanese, and perhaps the French feds would help by supporting. Especially the former two.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    There were recent reports that Cinquanta was sending around an internal memo/suggestion to remove short programs. Now it seems like it wasn't a formal proposal, but anyway, lucky Speedy didn't get his way. (Going by memory here, so correct me folks if I'm wrong).
    Thanks sandpiper!

    I'm against it, but I'm probably biased due to my love of SPs.... thank god it's not official.

  9. #24
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,660
    Quote Originally Posted by fleeting View Post
    I'm just stuck to wondering if Speedy wanted the proposals to go through or if he only said it for the shock value
    My guess is that the "shock value" was to put ISU delegates on the alert that they would have to come up with a drastic scheme to cut expenses going forward.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,303
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblespiral View Post
    Thanks sandpiper!

    I'm against it, but I'm probably biased due to my love of SPs.... thank god it's not official.
    I don't think anybody but Speedy wanted it... Well, nobody in their right mind, I hope.

  11. #26
    Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post


    Yes. If having ice as a sole common element is enough, why isn't the ISU the governing body for ice hockey as well? Not to mention curling, broomball, and bartending?


    http://www.google.com/search?q=ice+b...w=1024&bih=651

  12. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Why would anyone take St. Peter's word that USA, Greece, and Russia are in favor of anonymous judging?
    Have they taken any steps to force a vote? Have they done anything?

    More "listen to what we say, not what we do" going on here.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    815
    Glad to see the Americans fighting back.

    Something I can agree with them on.

  14. #29
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,823
    The Americans submitted a proposal to this year's ISU Congress to get rid of anonymous judging. Since the list of proposals has been circulated to the federations, I expect St. Peter has heard from federation presidents who agree with her proposal.

  15. #30
    Bored
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    345
    Finally, good news

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •