Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    south korea should put 2 koreans in the technical panel (one who pretends to represent south korea) both in the sp and the lp..and 1 more in the lp..with asking yuri balkov the known cheater to cheat for them this time..that's a total of 4.. after all the south korean skating federation is one of the biggest feds in figure skating.. oh wait..
    And....they should include north Korean (actually represent south Korea ) in this nasty scenario..
    Korean fed always put speed skates and short track first. They don't care what happen in figure skating.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    The talk about Lillehammer is very different.

As I've said before.

Close results that could have gone either way are very good for the sport, they're a favorite topic of fans who like to explore different 'what if?' scenarios. As long as fans trust that the judges are honest.
    No it's not a discussion "what if" is about controversy and conspiracy, as usual. Some people will never be happy.

Had the judging been more transparent, maybe her victory wouldn't be tainted by 'skating while Russian' suspicions. But the big problem is that if a knowledgeable fan watches both performances they're really close. But the judges' marks aren't close. Sotnikova had won before Kim skated. If fans aren't prone to trust that the judges are honest then they're gonna be suspicious and the innocent skater is the one who's going to feel the brunt of the suspicion
    I still fail to understand what Sotnikova got to do with all this. All she did is skate the best she could.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I still fail to understand what Sotnikova got to do with all this. All she did is skate the best she could.
    Which wasn't as good as her marks were.

Custom Title
    According to you.

That's your opinion and I respect that. Still, I don't understand what Adelina got to do with the scoring? My question is simple really but you are not able to answer that. You keep talking about the judges.

That's your opinion and I respect that. Still, I don't understand what Adelina got to do with the scoring? My question is simple really but you are not able to answer that. You keep talking about the judges.
    The question is: Can the fans trust the judges are doing an honest job and not trying to influence the competition one way or another?

The answer before 2002 was mostly 'yes'.

The answer since then has been much more difficult to answer.

In terms of results. No one's interested in slam dunk victories in the long term. People are interested in very close contests where a slightly different panel of judges might have judged things slightly differently.

It's easy to imagine Boitano/Orser or Baiul/Kerrigan or GG/MD or even Lipinski/Kwan (not to mention Lysacek/Plushenko) turning out differently for completely legitimate reasons with all the judges doing their honest best.

But.. since 2002 many fans (including me) have lost any faith whatsoever that judges are doing their honest best and that makes some results kind of.... suspect.

Why is this so hard to understand?

The question is: Can the fans trust the judges are doing an honest job and not trying to influence the competition one way or another?
    I'm sorry but your comment
    Had the results in Sochi been more transparent then maybe there wouldn't be so much negative feeling toward Sotnikova
    Therefore, my reply and question was
    That's stupid though isn't it? I mean what does Sotnikova got to do with the scoring?
    So yes, it's hard to understand the "negative feeling" towards a skater who didn't gave the scores to herself.
    I don't agree with many of the scores that Chan has been receiving, but to have negative feelings or even hate (as it looks towards Adelina in some cases) that's just plain stupid.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    You can't though. There are many Fed's under speed skating because they are small or don't have enough funds to have their own FS Fed.
    I understand what your saying but having figure skating governed by a speed skater hasn't really helped the sport in the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    I understand what your saying but having figure skating governed by a speed skater hasn't really helped the sport in the last decade.
    I fully agree. Just saying that is gonna be hard, if not impossible, to separate the FS from Speed skating. Also, the changes and choosing the president of ISU it depends a lot on other Fed's as well.
    Blatter, for example, won the FIFA chair thanks to the small Fed's like almost all African countries. It doesn't matter that Germany, England, Brasil, Italy etc. are bigger Fed's and have a huge tradition of football.

Quote Originally Posted by whatif View Post
    According to you.
    no.. according to this..

http://s24.postimg.org/ty7nk50l1/capture2.jpg
    http://s24.postimg.org/6y107t2r9/capture1.jpg

Love popcorn, hate horrendous costumes. Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalk5 View Post
    Hey, this is the link I posted, not that: http://fskating.com/2014/04/american...proposals.html

Here is the ISU Communication No. 1863: Agenda for the 2014 ISU Congress
    http://static.isu.org/media/143870/1...gress-2014.pdf

Edit: I see that it has been posted already, sorry. Moderators can delete this comment.
    Thanks.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    This is an interesting and informative topic.

Please don't turn it into a "Sochi Ladies Results" thread.

There are plenty of threads open for that debate, and those who aren't sick to death of it can argue there all you want.

None of Mr. Cinquanta's ruminations are on the Congress agenda.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast