American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

American Top Skating Official reacts to Cinquanta Proposals

I think the purpose of Cinquanta's communication was to alert people that some hard choices would have to be considered in the future due to financial considerations.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the purpose of Cinquanta's communication was to alert people that some hard choices would have to be considered in the future due to financial considerations.

It strikes me weird that the ISU is actually going broke. Especially after an Olympic year. Do the just give away the rights to TV broadcasting? NBC reported a profit for the Olympics to my understanding. If they spent 875 million as I've seen reported then even just sharing a tiny fraction of the profits should benefit the sport considerably. It was after all the ladies event that was highest rated in America. How about their portion of ticket sales. Multiple events sold out at over $200 a seat. What am I missing? :scratch:

^ That's a good question. It would certainly be interesting if the ISU would open it's books to the public.

I actually doubt that NBC made a profit from the Olympics. They will say that they did, but such reports are self-serving and often padded.

I do not know whether the ISU gets any cash money from the IOC and its sponsors beyond reimbursement for expenses for the Olympics itself.

In the mid to late 1990s the bulk of ISU revenue came from US television contracts -- millions and millions of dollars annually for the rights to broadcast ISU events. Now that amount has dwindled to essentially zero. It is my impression that, yes, they pretty much do give away the broadcasting rights in the US for practically nothing (I don't know about other countries, such as Japan).

To me, all the signs point to a return to the model of the long past where the ISU is supported mainly by the dues of its members.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada

Well he could resign as ISU President and allow someone else who knows what they're doing to take over. :mad:

Perhaps someone should make the connection between the declining ratings & revenue for figure skating with the one-man rulership of the ISU for the past 20 years?