Yevgeny Plushenko wants to compete again, agent says | Golden Skate

Yevgeny Plushenko wants to compete again, agent says

Meoima

Match Penalty
Russian Olympic figure skating champion Yevgeny Plushenko plans to return to competition after recovering from back surgery, perhaps as early as next season, according to Russia’s figure skating federation and his agent.

Russia’s figure skating federation listed Plushenko on a preliminary list of candidates for the national team in a story Thursday, saying his coach, Aleksey Mishin, said Plushenko would start preparing for next season June 1.

In an email citing the article, the skater’s agent was asked if Plushenko intended to compete next season.

“He just loves to compete and after another surgery will try again,” Ari Zakarian said in the email. “I guess that’s in his blood.”

Plushenko, 31, announced his retirement after withdrawing from the men’s event at the Sochi Olympics due to his injured back. Earlier in the Olympics, Plushenko helped Russia to gold in the new team event, making him the only modern figure skating medalist at four straight Olympics.

Five days later, Plushenko left open the possibility of returning in comments on Russian TV, according to Reuters. He later had back surgery in March, with RIA Novosti reporting a recovery process of at least six months.

“If need be, I’ll have another 10 operations … I’m not ruling out that I’ll go for a fifth Olympic Games,” he said. “I am not ruling out that I want stay in sports, to prove [something] to many [people] and myself.”
Source: http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/25/evgeni-plushenko-figure-skating-retirement/

My comment: :jaw::jaw::confused2::confused2::bow:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I was wondering when this was going to become a News post. Lesser things surrounding Plush have gotten the title "news," lol.

Well, I've gotten some time to get used to it. Frankly, I'm not even shocked. The unexpected is the expected with this guy.

I just hope he can stay healthy. Doesn't matter how he skates or what results he gets. Plush is a legend and has nothing left to prove.

Amei

Record Breaker
Will he suffer backlash (pun really not intended :p ) for dropping out of the Olympics leaving Russia without a competitor on home Olympic ice?

Good luck to him, I think it's extremely premature to bring up possibly going to another Olympics, especially considering the number of surgeries he's had and he's not getting any younger.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
No idea if he's doing this because of the backlash (from some quarters, not all) or because he just loves competing. I really hope it's the latter.

Tompson

Rinkside
Omg pls no..Im very worried. Given station of his body, his later old life would be painful far more than now and he has to struggle with serious pain until end of his life.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I just want to know one thing:

Will his awesome wife Yana be there, too?!?!?

She's AMAZING. She should be in ALL his press conferences.

Also, I think their kid is going to have magical powers of some kind.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
While I admire his dedication to the sport and wanting to continue, I fear he's going to train himself into a wheelchair. If his programs were actual programs and not jump pass, catch breathe, pose, pose, chest out, jump, jump... :scratch:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, if Aliona Savchenko is continuing, I don't see why Plushenko shouldn't be allowed to give it another go, too. ;)

Mafke

Medalist
I'll believe when he's waiting for his SP scores (if there's still an SP after this summer)

Duality

On the Ice
If his programs were actual programs and not jump pass, catch breathe, pose, pose, chest out, jump, jump... :scratch:

Mishin promises in one of his interviews to show us The new Plushenko. I'm kind of curious what his new programs will look like if he really decides to compete.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Let's continue to kill another generation of Russian male figure skaters (he already did one or two)....

aschiutza

On the Ice
Can you tell us how then managed to get out of the prison for killing?

Now serious, those generations of Russian male skaters had loads of opportunities to show what they can, as Plushenko was very seldom at worlds and when he was at euros he brought 3 places back for next year, so 2 places were for other, he didn't competed on 3 places at the same time :laugh: .

This argument is one of the silliest i hear! If they cannot get over one skater (and also an aging skater) how they will get over loads of young skaters on the international scene?

sillylionlove

Medalist
Will be ever go away???? I can't imagine that is back is happy. He's going to end up crippled and in a wheel chair.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's continue to kill another generation of Russian male figure skaters (he already did one or two)....

Huh? He didn't do anything. It wasn't Plushy's fault that after Abt and Yagudin's retirements everyone else was not up to scratch.