Mikaela Shiffrin gives credit to Adelina Sotnikova | Golden Skate

Mikaela Shiffrin gives credit to Adelina Sotnikova

Manitou

Medalist
This is really interesting. I am not sure it was said here before, but I run across an interview with Mikaela Shiffrin, where she gives credit for her gold medal in slalom to Adelina Sotnikova. She said she was watching Adelina's gold medal performance the night before her own performance and got inspired by Adelina's flow on the ice. She was trying to repeat the flow and the moves on the slope and it resulted in her phenomenal first run during the slalom.
I must add that Mikaela almost fell out of the race in the second run, but the huge advantage she had from the first one was enough to win gold!
So I must say Adelina won one gold and the half in Sochi! Great job!
And I never realized those two disciplines might be so close to one another!

Here is the video:
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/mikaela-shiffrin-inspired-russian-skater-094016927.html

--

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Awwww!!! That was a lovely thing for Mikaela to say!

Good on you, Mikaela, for admitting that!

To be fair, Mikaela was always going to be the one to beat in the Slalom race at Sochi. Let's face it - since she arrived on the World Cup scene, Schiffrin has been the dominant force in that category of Alpine Skiing.

But, that first run in the Slalom race was just something else. Everybody was finding the course and the conditions for the first run extremely difficult. But Mikaela's run was just something else. It was out of this world!

Like most people, I was wondering just where Mikaela pulled a performance like that out of.

Now we know.

Well done Mikaela... and well done Adelina! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's a great story. And a wonderful way to see how Olympic athletes inspire not only those in their own discipline but also across disciplines too! :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing this story. I might have mixed feelings about the whole Sochi debacle, but I'm glad to read something positive about Adelina for a change. It was a wonderful night of figure skating with the top three ladies all bringing their stepping up to the challenge, and I'm glad to hear it inspired another Olympian.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thank you for sharing this story. I might have mixed feelings about the whole Sochi debacle, but I'm glad to read something positive about Adelina for a change. It was a wonderful night of figure skating with the top three ladies all bringing their stepping up to the challenge, and I'm glad to hear it inspired another Olympian.

Yeah, as shady as the result was, the level of skating in the top 3 was the best ever in a top 3 IMO (especially after such a messy men's event) and that's what I'll remember the most fondly from that.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yeah, as shady as the result was, the level of skating in the top 3 was the best ever in a top 3 IMO (especially after such a messy men's event) and that's what I'll remember the most fondly from that.
Top 3 Ladies + Mao's redemption = WOW! Regardless of the result, it was a fantastic night of skating, after the tedious men's event.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Yeah, as shady as the result was, the level of skating in the top 3 was the best ever in a top 3 IMO
Not talking about the result either, but I think the quality + atmosphere + artistry + emotional of top 4 from Vancouver was beyond here. Yuna + Mirai were absolutely perfect in every mean, Rochette with her incredible moment after her family tragedy and Mao with her first record in 3As thing

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Vancouver (Ladies) was great as well! We'll have to rewind back to Salt Lake for a comparable men's competition, imo.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Mikaela must be an idiot because, you know, only an idiot will say Adelina has superior skating skills, edges and flow. :rolleye: And Putin must have threatened Mikaela's life or bought her a Mercedes. I'm sure he hugged her. It is true because I said so. :biggrin:

Manitou

Medalist
Mikaela must be an idiot because, you know, only an idiot will say Adelina has superior skating skills, edges and flow. :rolleye: And Putin must have threatened Mikaela's life or bought her a Mercedes. I'm sure he hugged her. It is true because I said so. :biggrin:

Pangpangpangpangfan has a proof that Putin paid Mikaela for that interview... :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Or the judge that hugged Adelina, who apparently is a very violent person according to some of the posters here, might have threatened to beat up Mikaela.

Manitou

Medalist
Or the judge that hugged Adelina, who apparently is a very violent person according to some of the posters here, might have threatened to beat up Mikaela.

I am quite sure Mikaela would not feel threatened by anybody! She would stab the evil judge with the poles and then swing the ski (including the binding) into judge's face, and at the end she would deliver a kick with her ski boots! I tell you: that would hurt!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing the article, very nice read.

U guys are too funny!:laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Not talking about the result either, but I think the quality + atmosphere + artistry + emotional of top 4 from Vancouver was beyond here. Yuna + Mirai were absolutely perfect in every mean, Rochette with her incredible moment after her family tragedy and Mao with her first record in 3As thing

Emotionally, Vancouver was much more memorable, and yes, the top 4 were strong. But the bronze and silver medalists made errors and weren't as clean as Kim and Kostner (which is why, IMO the level of skating was greater in the top 3, controversy aside).