Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide 1-2 punch for Delegates to this week's USFS GC | Golden Skate

Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide 1-2 punch for Delegates to this week's USFS GC

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide 1-2 punch for Delegates to this week's USFS GC

Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide one, two punch for Delegates to this week's U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council to consider...

1. Dick Endorses Ron Pfenning for next President of U.S. Figure Skating - 'To Skaters Everywhere and to the Delegates of the 2014 USFS Governing Council Meeting in Seattle this week! Consider the Following'

2. Janet Lynn issues 'An Open Inquiry to All Candidates Seeking the Presidency of U.S. Figure Skating Association'

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Really? I find some of Ms Lynn's questions and assertions problematic to say the least. The short program has added nothing of "value" to the sport? What "values" do you mean, Ms. Lynn, and who is going to determine what is valuable--and what isn't? Why this emphasis on promoting "wholesomeness"? Who is going to define what is "wholesome" and what is not? If you want to eliminate testing and credential fees for coaches, how do you suggest to replace that revenue stream?

Just sayin'...

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I think she has a problem organizing her ideas and writing. :slink:

We all know that skating requires a change, but I think not all the points she touches are valid. For example do not need to relax for a free program, I want to see good skating and to be able to know why the judges decided to punish or reward an element.

slider11

Medalist
Y'know I don't agree with all of Janet Lynn's insinuations and remarks BUT I applaud her guts to voice her opinions. I do agree with the up and coming skaters losing their edges and the importance of the developmental nature of true artistic skating. And not all her criticisms had constructive resolutions. But she knows her sport and apparently has been following the intrincasies of the last couple decades in figure skating. Here I thought she was just a religious zelot raising her kids! You go, Girl !

Neverdull45

Rinkside
Good points.

I think the general population still likes to watch figure skating a lot. When I do attend a public session, even though I am just an adult skater, some people gawk, others talk to me, and kids ask me how to spin. People I work with always want to talk about figure skating shows and what I'm up to.

I think a big part of this viewership issue is that the population has changed its viewing habits. Personally, I watch very little of network tv these days, or even cable. I love Netflix and Amazon because I watch the shows when I am ready. There are few other shows I record. First, I have to know a show is on. I am looking for skating show schedules posted on the Internet by other skaters. Most people don't do this. The networks don't advertise much when these shows are going to be on (again, no one is limited to watching just 3 channels). If it wasn't for Ice Network, i don't know what I would do because I don't remember to record shows. But, most people are not going to buy Ice Network. And, most skating shows are on Saturday afternoon. I think the target audience is mainly mature women. Skating shows are set in a timeslot for "manly" sports, such as basketball, hockey, and football. As a mature woman, Saturday afternoon is a time for me to be out at the park, beach, shopping, etc. I would move the showings to evenings, perhaps Sunday evening, as I think watching skating has a tranquil quality to it and its a time when women might be more inclined to watch. I think the next President needs to consider how & where the competitions are aired, and encourage the making of documentaries on the sport in order to take advantage of Netflix.

Accountability in judging is a big one. I'd like to be able to immediately see each judge's score card & critiques on national tv's internet feeds, with the t.v. commentators being able to also quickly see the judge's comments and pontificate on them. Show a few less skaters, but a little more commentary. Today's world is about instant, accessible feedback and information. Even "Dancing with the Stars" has accountable judging with feedback. Like any event, the audience will not always agree with the judge/referree's call. But, we have to know the ref's call in order to "get into" the sport. There was more "fun" when we knew each country's score. We could say, "Oh, the Russian judges voted for the Russians". It gave everyone something to talk about, jeer about, and it made the sport a little more exciting. Attend my husband's weekender hockey tournament, and you'll see how mad a bunch of wives can get at a referee. But, at least we all know the call. Now, we don't know the call. We are told to just sit back and "trust" the judge's overall scores.

Short programs, I think, are important. It's where every skater has to do the same elements. I think there should be a medal for short program and a medal for long program.

Something old and something new. I watched Dorothy Hamill's Olympic performance. While it was good and nothing against her skating as she's light years ahead of her time (and me), I don't think it's on the same level as today's figure skating. I think we have advanced as a sport. The footwork and moves in the field are hard now, and require mastery of skills going in both directions and at MUCH higher speeds than figures. But, because skaters are doing so many loops and brackets and twizzles in the middle of the program, there is little time for a long, flowing edge. Simplicity for the eye is a beauty of skating. I think today's programs are complicated, but that doesn't necessarily make them more beautiful to the untrained eye.

Also, many sports are now computerized. The judges now have the ability to replay, but what more is there? Now, I realize that this next comment isn't going to be popular. When I watch figure skating on tv, I can't really tell how fast each skater is moving, how high/long they are jumping, etc. When I went to Stars on Ice, I was impressed with Ashley Wagner's overall speed and stamina. If commentators could tell us something new about the sport, like the speed entering jumps, height/length jumped comparison between the skaters. It would bring the athletic quality of this sport into the spotlight, and help the image of skating (especially men's) overall. Lutzes are done in one corner. Can we get a speed gauge over there? How about marking the take-off and landings of the jump for the viewing audience. Show how thrilling skating is!

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I was happy she touched on the importance of figures. Now that I read it a second time there are some questionable statements (especially the short program comment).

humbaba

Final Flight
Good points.

I think a big part of this viewership issue is that the population has changed its viewing habits. Personally, I watch very little of network tv these days, or even cable.

Excellent point Neverdull45. I had never thought about how changing viewing habits have affected the ratings for skating competitions. Maybe someone needs to figure out how to package skating programs for media streaming devices. I watch more stuff on my Roku than I do on either network or DirecTv.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
Ron is definitely a polarizing figure. I like his take on what the US needs to do from the bottom to the top. Also, liked some of what Janet Lynn had to say.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was happy she touched on the importance of figures. Now that I read it a second time there are some questionable statements (especially the short program comment).

For me, Janet Lynn is one of the greatest ever. Having said that, her comments re: figures and the short program seemed ironic to me because as I understand it, the SP was added and less weight placed on school figures precisely because they were such a nemesis for her. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting...?

Here is Dr. George Rossano's take on the USFSA election. The knock on Ron Pfenning as potential federation president is that the ISU brass is against him and will find ways to punish U.S. skating and skaters if he is elected. Rossano discounts that argument and supports Pfenning against the "establishment" candidate Sam Auxier.

Recently I saw a comment that seeks to place the U.S. Figure Skating's lack of influence within the ISU on damage caused by Pfenning and the WSF. The realty is, U.S. Figure Skating has never had significant political influence within the ISU for the more than 30 years I have followed the sport, and until U.S. Figure Skating plays hardball within the ISU the way the Canadians, French and Russians do, U.S. Figure Skating will continue to have little influence within the ISU.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/commentaries/2014 USFSA Election.htm

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide one, two punch for Delegates to this week's U.S. Figure Skating Governing Council to consider...

1. Dick Endorses Ron Pfenning for next President of U.S. Figure Skating - 'To Skaters Everywhere and to the Delegates of the 2014 USFS Governing Council Meeting in Seattle this week! Consider the Following'

2. Janet Lynn issues 'An Open Inquiry to All Candidates Seeking the Presidency of U.S. Figure Skating Association'

How would you characterise these guys to a non-American?
I mean, of course I have a certain idea of who they are and there is Google and YouTube (and your intriguing posts) but I'm afraid I'm lacking the nuance of what their reputatition in America really is and what they mean for American figure skating.

Just trying to figure out how serious it all might be :)

Components

Match Penalty
Short programs, I think, are important. It's where every skater has to do the same elements. I think there should be a medal for short program and a medal for long program.

Short Programs were introduced to devalue figures which weren't televised (and weren't friendly to television) and help skaters bad at figures, like Janet Lynn, have a chance of winning world and Olympic titles. It was added after the 72 Olympics/Worlds, following a Quad where Trixie Schuba was practically unbeatably dominant after the retirement of Gabrielle Seyfert. Lynn couldn't win Worlds with her figures. She needed help. The Short program was basically the ISU changing the rules just so she can have an easy win with her great free skating.

The purpose of the Short was to give Free Skaters a bigger edge over great figures skaters like Schuba and even the playing field. It basically serves no purpose these days, and is largely vestigial. The Short program is nothing more than a Free Skate with less elements in it, and a shorter program length. The fact that there are required elements means nothing. There are required elements in the FS as well.

They should ditch the Short and bring back Figures, IMO.

This whole "everyone does the same elements" is misleading and that never works unless you're doing it in a compulsory-type fashion like School Figures or Compulsory routines in Gymnastics. That way you get a 1:1 comparison on every element for every skater, and not what they decide to show you.

Alba

Record Breaker
How would you characterise these guys to a non-American?
I mean, of course I have a certain idea of who they are and there is Google and YouTube (and your intriguing posts) but I'm afraid I'm lacking the nuance of what their reputatition in America really is and what they mean for American figure skating.

Just trying to figure out how serious it all might be :)

6/13/13 Question Rec’d - Is there a reason why we shouldn't consider active ISU officials for President of USFS?

Pfenning: It costs at least $100,000.00 to become an ISU Interntional or World Judge or Referee; mostly funded by U.S. Figure Skating. Our judges, working at the international level should be out on the ISU circuit supporting Team USA athletes. It makes no sense to pull them off the playing field and vote them in as USFS President We should put an experienced administrator in the top job and keep our valuable ISU officials judging and/or refereeing. Conflict of interest keeps them from doing both at the same time.

6/7/13 - ? received - Has U.S. Figure Skating is presently perceived as an important player in formulating and driving decisions made within the ISU? If not, what needs to be done to improve the USFS position in the future?

Answer - The short answer is no federation has great influence. Our sport is headed by a speed skater and none of the figure skating members of the ISU Council choose to challenge his leadership. I would like to think our council member is working behind the scenes for our interests and that of the sport.
We are in a good position on the technical committees; Bob Horen on Ice Dance, Karen Wolanchuk on Synchronized Skating and the appointed Coach David Kirby on the FSTC.
To improve the USFS positon in the future our federation needs to nominate strong qualified candidates for each of the technical committees and the ISU Council. We need to work closely with other Federations on the election of an ISU President from the figure skating side. Historically candidates for President have come from a Vice President or chair of a technical committee. In the upcoming ISU election is appears individuals outside of these positions may also be in the mix.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ing-Running-for-U-S-Figure-Skating-President&

Good to know that the candidate for President of US Figure Skating thinks that judges are out on the ISU circuit to support their own athletes. ;)

Matt K

On the Ice
Here is Dr. George Rossano's take on the USFSA election. The knock on Ron Pfenning as potential federation president is that the ISU brass is against him and will find ways to punish U.S. skating and skaters if he is elected. Rossano discounts that argument and supports Pfenning against the "establishment" candidate Sam Auxier.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/commentaries/2014 USFSA Election.htm

Dr. George Rossano is a U.S. figure skating enthusiast and fan, an armchair fan, who writes for Ice Skating International. He is a Californian mathematician and physicist/statistician who likes to pick and prod at numbers in judging protocol documents. He is no different than a GoldenSkate forum fan.

Here is one of his lovely articles crowning D/W gold medalists even before they skated their individual FD in Sochi.
http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archive/results_2014OWG/2014 OWG DSD.htm

If it was not clear before the start of the Games, the judges have reached consensus, if both teams skate their best, Davis & White win.

Oh, I am sure they reached consensus about the outcome of the event, Dr. Rossano. But that's okay, though, since they skate for the U.S. of A, so hush hush, case closed. But as for Sotnikova, she was overscored in PCS and Kim underscored in PCS, so he needs to write about that in his Ladies recap. Neither of these ladies are from the U.S.

Getting back to the topic of discussion of this thread: Janet Lynn's "essay" was just migraine inducing and painful. The ambiguous reasoning behind some of the "points" made, and the terrible organization/structure of her particular essay made it hard to follow and overall was just bad. That was a terrible, terrible read of an essay. Also, I am not sure if her bold function on her computer was working properly when she was typing, but it was so inconsistent throughout her essay I did not know whether or not she was trying to start a new idea or thought. It really disrupts the train of thought. I doubt the USFS candidates are even taking that piece seriously, to be honest.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Dr. George Rossano is a U.S. figure skating enthusiast and fan, an armchair fan, who writes for Ice Skating International. He is a Californian mathematician and physicist/statistician who likes to pick and prod at numbers in judging protocol documents. He is no different than a GoldenSkate forum fan.

Did you mean, all GS forum writers are armchair fans? :confused:

But as for Sotnikova, she was overscored in PCS and Kim underscored in PCS, so he needs to write about that in his Ladies recap. Neither of these ladies are from the U.S.

Which should mean the writer was objective? ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker

He's also a USFS official. As are a few GoldenSkate forum fans -- impossible to say how many if they don't post their identities or credentials.

"Official" and "fan" are not mutually exclusive.

We all have our biases.

Officials are more likely to have additional knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes at the levels they have access to . . . which may stop short of International.