Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dick Button and Janet Lynn provide 1-2 punch for Delegates to this week's USFS GC

Bored
    ^
    That is characterizing indeed!

Matt K
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is Dr. George Rossano's take on the USFSA election. The knock on Ron Pfenning as potential federation president is that the ISU brass is against him and will find ways to punish U.S. skating and skaters if he is elected. Rossano discounts that argument and supports Pfenning against the "establishment" candidate Sam Auxier.

http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...20Election.htm
    Dr. George Rossano is a U.S. figure skating enthusiast and fan, an armchair fan, who writes for Ice Skating International. He is a Californian mathematician and physicist/statistician who likes to pick and prod at numbers in judging protocol documents. He is no different than a GoldenSkate forum fan.

Here is one of his lovely articles crowning D/W gold medalists even before they skated their individual FD in Sochi.
    http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...0OWG%20DSD.htm

If it was not clear before the start of the Games, the judges have reached consensus, if both teams skate their best, Davis & White win.
    Oh, I am sure they reached consensus about the outcome of the event, Dr. Rossano. But that's okay, though, since they skate for the U.S. of A, so hush hush, case closed. But as for Sotnikova, she was overscored in PCS and Kim underscored in PCS, so he needs to write about that in his Ladies recap. Neither of these ladies are from the U.S.

Getting back to the topic of discussion of this thread: Janet Lynn's "essay" was just migraine inducing and painful. The ambiguous reasoning behind some of the "points" made, and the terrible organization/structure of her particular essay made it hard to follow and overall was just bad. That was a terrible, terrible read of an essay. Also, I am not sure if her bold function on her computer was working properly when she was typing, but it was so inconsistent throughout her essay I did not know whether or not she was trying to start a new idea or thought. It really disrupts the train of thought. I doubt the USFS candidates are even taking that piece seriously, to be honest.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
    Dr. George Rossano is a U.S. figure skating enthusiast and fan, an armchair fan, who writes for Ice Skating International. He is a Californian mathematician and physicist/statistician who likes to pick and prod at numbers in judging protocol documents. He is no different than a GoldenSkate forum fan.
    Did you mean, all GS forum writers are armchair fans?

But as for Sotnikova, she was overscored in PCS and Kim underscored in PCS, so he needs to write about that in his Ladies recap. Neither of these ladies are from the U.S.
    Which should mean the writer was objective?

Matt K
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    Which should mean the writer was objective?
    You just took my sentence out of context. Read my previous sentence before that and put it back in context

Custom Title
    He's also a USFS official. As are a few GoldenSkate forum fans -- impossible to say how many if they don't post their identities or credentials.

"Official" and "fan" are not mutually exclusive.

We all have our biases.

Officials are more likely to have additional knowledge about what goes on behind the scenes at the levels they have access to . . . which may stop short of International.

Matt K
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    He's also a USFS official.
    An official? I don't think that is true. I'm almost certain that is false.

I don't think anyone who is affiliated as some kind of official for USFS can be writing articles like that. George Rossano is an obvious fan of U.S. figure skating, though, from what I can gather.

But thank you for pointing out, if, and a big *if*, he is part of USFS.

Bored
    You just took my sentence out of context. Read my previous sentence before that and put it back in context
    That's what I did before I answered.
    I read your post, took out a sentence, and added a remark to suggest that other context would be more appropriate

Really, if none of them is from US, why can't he be objective?

Matt K
    I read your post, took out a sentence, and added a remark to suggest that other context would be more appropriate

So you twisted my sentence to fit your context

You should read my first post again. Or don't. Never mind.

I love how George Rossano did pieces on how the PCS is not marked properly and it was used as a tool to just rank skaters like ordinals. And in that article, he merely just repeats what PCS the dancers got and never went into any more detail like it was proper and correct. But not in the ladies event, where he talked about the overmarking and undermarking of skaters PCS. And his reasoning that since the judges put D/W ahead 3 times, so they have reached a consensus that unless they fall and the Canadians skate clean, D/W will win no question about it and that is okay and proper. I love the lovely way he starts that article about how it's all over for the Canadian ice dance couple

I am re-posting this article from George Rossano if anyone wants to read:

But I digress. Carry on.

He can be objective. The problem is that he's not that objective when the skaters are from US. I think Matt K is saying that.

Matt K
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    He can be objective. The problem is that he's not that objective when the skaters are from US. I think Matt K is saying that.
    Yes, that is what I am saying. Thank you! Like I also pointed out in my recent post above yours, he moans and groans about the unfair judging, and/or trends, and/or stats of the results, but when a team from his U.S.A. becomes the beneficiaries/on the receiving end of results on the good side, it's suddenly all okay and good.

Bored
    I love how George Rossano did pieces on how the PCS is not marked properly and it was used as a tool to just rank skaters like ordinals. And in that article, he merely just repeats what PCS the dancers got and never went into any more detail like it was proper and correct. But not in the ladies event, where he talked about the overmarking and undermarking of skaters PCS. And his reasoning that since the judges put D/W ahead 3 times, so they have reached a consensus that unless they fall and the Canadians skate clean, D/W will win no question about it and that is okay and proper. I love the lovely way he starts that article about how it's all over for the Canadian ice dance couple
    And so? Many commentators don’t get into dancers’ PCS or even TEC detail simply because those are too complicated.
    All right, the fact that he didn’t get into detail and the fact that D/W represent US doesn’t look like a coincidence. Despite of that, can’t he be simply delusional instead of being dishonest?

As far as I know Dr. Rossano does not hold any executive office in the USFSA, nor is he seeking one. I believe that he has served as data operator at major competitions and is qualified to judge at various levels, but AFAIK does not judge at the championship level. He once wrote a pretty cool simplified version of the IJS point system that could be used at lower level events, but I don't know what became of that project. He is active in the local figure skating scene in California; I would expect that he might be a delegate to the USFS congress (?) He is also an experienced skating photographer and writer with a number of credits.

Like other interested folks, he has opinions about what's going on in the USFSA.

As for the USFSA election, I have no insider information but I would be very surprised if Mr. Pfenning's candidacy gains traction with the majority of the voting delegates. I expect (while reserving the right to be wrong ) that the recommended candidate of the USFSA official nominating committee will carry the day with little debate.
    Last edited by Mathman; 05-01-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I haven't read much of him. Actually, I have read none
    What's important I think is, if he contradicts himself when he expresses his bias for the national team.

I haven't read much of him. Actually, I have read none
    What's important I think is, if he contradicts himself when he expresses his bias for the national team.
    Me neither. But I understood what Matt K point was. I was explaining that.

Yes, that is what I am saying. Thank you! Like I also pointed out in my recent post above yours, he moans and groans about the unfair judging, and/or trends, and/or stats of the results, but when a team from his U.S.A. becomes the beneficiaries/on the receiving end of results on the good side, it's suddenly all okay and good.
    It's the same with almost everybody. For Beverly Smith the opinion of Tarasova was the bible when she said Tessa and Scott deserved to win with Carmen, not so when she said Sotnikova deserved to win.

Here is one of his lovely articles crowning D/W gold medalists even before they skated their individual FD in Sochi.

Oh, I am sure they reached consensus about the outcome of the event, Dr. Rossano. But that's okay, though, since they skate for the U.S. of A, so hush hush, case closed. But as for Sotnikova, she was overscored in PCS and Kim underscored in PCS, so he needs to write about that in his Ladies recap. Neither of these ladies are from the U.S.
    Well, I think Rossano told the truth about ice dance. There was a growing consensus in the months leading up to the Olympics that Davis and White would win. Just like the consensus in 2010 that Virtue and Moir would win. Just like the consensus in 2006 that Navka and Kostomarov would win.

As for the ladies, I do not think there was any such consensus before the event. If anything, the question was whether hard-charging Julia Lipnitskia had enough last-minute momentum to challenge Yuna Kim. The way the actual event unfolded -- to me at least -- was a surprise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast