Thread: How to know if my blades need to be sharpened?

Rinkside

How to know if my blades need to be sharpened?

Title pretty much says it all. It's just the way they feel on the ice, right?

Custom Title
    Well, it depends on a large number of factors. How many hours a week you train, the level you're at, just to start.

I use six to eight weeks as a rule of thumb for me but I am on the ice very little now - five hours a week max.

The way they feel on the ice is a pretty good indicator, but in general it's not a good idea to wait until they're sliding out from under you...

Rinkside
    True. Sadly, I only get ice time every Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:00. Better than nothing, but I want to skate more. I guess once they feel dull-ish I'll sharpen them.

Rinkside
    My coach recomends 30 hours on the ice as a general rule of thumb, but it depends on your blade, what you do etc. Most people find an indicator for themselves, maybe something that gives you trouble, mine is the right-outside edge (especially coming out of a three-turn). If I need to focus on it the blade needs sharpening.

I would be so happy if I could be comfortable on outside edge (and yes I know my blades need to be sharpened!)