Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Singles female skaters wearing skirts for practice?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    106

    Question Singles female skaters wearing skirts for practice?

    You know like those wrap ballet skirts that ballet dancers wear or one like in this video.
    http://instagram.com/p/mjW4ydiiWU/?modal=true

    I know that most ice dancers use them for their practice, so i thought maybe for female singles as well to replicate a dress?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm464 View Post
    You know like those wrap ballet skirts that ballet dancers wear or one like in this video.
    http://instagram.com/p/mjW4ydiiWU/?modal=true

    I know that most ice dancers use them for their practice, so i thought maybe for female singles as well to replicate a dress?
    I used to and sometimes still do.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    171
    Pants are still the "norm" at the rinks we frequent.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by concorde View Post
    Pants are still the "norm" at the rinks we frequent.
    Over the pants

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm464 View Post
    Over the pants
    exactly, I wore them over my pants.

  6. #6
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    98
    For regular skaters, they wear skate skirts or dresses or pants (adults too). But we don't have any ice dancers - maybe they do?

  7. #7
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    4,243
    I'm probably not the best judge but....



    https://pp.vk.me/c540108/v540108773/2b7/PVWspGSRbJc.jpg




  8. #8
    Veritas Lux Mea Miss Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    319
    ^A little confused what Lip has to do with this thread.

    Personally I prefer pants for practice, and almost everyone else wears pants as well. Have never seen skirts worn over pants for freestyle skaters, and I have skated at some pretty well-frequented rinks.

  9. #9
    Team Japan Auntie figureskateobasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    180
    I think it depends on the skater's "level". Many of adult skaters that I know wear skirts(over pants/stocking) during practice. They don't do triple jumps so it won't really restrict their movement. but personally I prefer pants too.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,717
    I prefer pants. Most skaters prefer pants, especially the high-level ones.

    The only alteration to that is in summer at my rink when, especially if it's very hot, the standard dress code reverts to dance shorts or a skating skirt and a tank top.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,037
    Depends what you mean by pants, I guess.

    I usually wear leggings, some of which are sufficient on their own with a shirt on top. But I usually prefer to treat them like thicker dark-colored footless tights and wear short or a skirt (or dress under a shirt) over the leggings.

  12. #12
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    4,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Ice View Post
    ^A little confused what Lip has to do with this thread.

    Personally I prefer pants for practice, and almost everyone else wears pants as well. Have never seen skirts worn over pants for freestyle skaters, and I have skated at some pretty well-frequented rinks.

    Well...dress/skirt...pretty close. The point was it was from practice and I thought that most skaters wear pants in practice. I honestly can only name about one skater who I've ever seen wear a skirt as regular practice garb around the rinks I skate at in all the years I've been going. She is from a different generation than the rest of us but I never really thought about it until now. Was the skirt more common in years past.
    Last edited by Sam-Skwantch; 01-19-2015 at 07:27 AM.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    171
    Most higher level skates (double axel+) wear protective "pads" that cover the butt and hip area. Most people are embarrassed to be seen in pads and there is no way that any skirt will cover these. That is why the norm are pants. Depending on the "pads" and shorts a girl has, they may or may not work in combination.

    Right before a competition (week or so before), the girls comes out in their costume so that they can get used to skating in it.

    We have one woman whose daughter and granddaughter both skated. This woman said that when her daughter skated, skating dresses were the norm. The granddaughter is now in college so my guess the "age" of dresses was at least 30-35 years ago.
    Last edited by concorde; 01-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    195
    I prefer pants. When I was younger 4-10(or 11 maybe)I wore the skirt or practice dress but then I just saw older girls wearing pants on the ice and I started to wear pants too. Girls from my rink which are aged around 12 or more always wear pants. Younger ones wear sometimes skirt sometimes pants but pants are more usual on my rink. However, I think that ice dancers wear a skirts most often.

  15. #15
    Veritas Lux Mea Miss Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    On the ice
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Well...dress/skirt...pretty close. The point was it was from practice and I thought that most skaters wear pants in practice. I honestly can only name about one skater who I've ever seen wear a skirt as regular practice garb around the rinks I skate at in all the years I've been going. She is from a different generation than the rest of us but I never really thought about it until now. Was the skirt more common in years past.
    Not close at all. Lip is wearing skating tights and a dress. Not a ballet skirt and pants. Please bring the fanservice to the Fan Fest, not here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •