Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What went wrong with Mao Asada?

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I must've missed a lot because I can see nothing wrong with Asada.
    I was thinking the same when I saw the title of this thread

Custom Title
    I have to admit that I thought I had entered the wrong date on a search engine when I read the title of this thread- perhaps I had mistakenly entered 2011 or maybe 2012 after the NHK trophy when Mao had just a few clean triples, or NHK trophy 2010 with 2 falls and popped singles. But, when I realized it was April 2014, I wondered if the title should have been "What went right with Mao Asada's jumps?, or "Mao Asada has really improved her jumps." especially after she just had the most successful year of her or most anyone else's career: Grand Prix Final and World Champion, and she couldn't have gotten a Gold Medal in Sochi even if she had had a great SP program with the set up that was in position there. Basically, she grabbed all the major Gold that was available. In terms of her jumps, a little anecdotal evidence. My best friend said he liked Mao's program at Sochi the best specifically because of her beautiful jumps compared to all the others. Now, he didn't look at the protocol or carefully observe the rotation. It was just an immediate gut reaction to the power and beauty of the performance before him, and he had never seen her before.

In terms of tech scores at Worlds in the SP, her triple axel, triple flip, triple loop and double loop all received more than +1 GOE overall with the axel and triple loop and double loop receiving more than +1.5. These are very good GOE's. Yet in the spirit of controversy, skating at a similar level overall though admittedly the axel wasn't quite as good in Sochi, the tech panel in Sochi didn't even give her +1 GOE on any jump for what is regarded as her best ever LP performance and the most valuable combo triple flip triple loop was URed, though it looked clean; and at worlds they marked her off 11 points from 76 to 65, with at least the triple axel and the first triple flip triple loop looking clean and rotated to me and many others: Eurosport for one. Because of these highly questionable calls, she lost almost 7 points and she still won by almost 10. I think she should be complimented for having so much hacked away and still prevailing in her third World Championship, instead of being criticized.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by gotoschool View Post
    I have to admit that I thought I had entered the wrong date on a search engine when I read the title of this post- perhaps i mistakenly entered 2011 or maybe 2012 after the NHK trophy when Mao had just a few clean triples, or NHK trophy 2010 with 2 falls and popped singles. But, when I realized it was April 2014, I wondered if the title should have been "What went right with Mao Asada's jumps?, or "Mao Asada has really improved her jumps." especially after she just had the most successful year of her or most anyone else's career: Grand Prix Final and World Champion, and she couldn't have gotten a Gold Medal in Sochi even if she had had a great SP program with the set up that was in position there. Basically, she grabbed all the major Gold that was available. In terms of her jumps, a little anecdotal evidence. My best friend said he liked Mao's program at Sochi the best specifically because of her beautiful jumps compared to all the others. Now, he didn't look at the protocol or carefully observe the rotation. It was just an immediate gut reaction to the power and beauty of the performance before him, and he had never seen her before.

In terms of tech scores at Worlds in the SP, her triple axel, triple flip, triple loop and double loop all received more than +1 GOE overall with the axel and triple loop and double loop receiving more than +1.5. These are very good GOE's. Yet in the spirit of controversy, skating at a similar level overall though admittedly the axel wasn't quite as good in Sochi, the tech panel in Sochi didn't even give her +1 GOE on any jump for what is regarded as her best ever performance; and at worlds they marked her off 11 points from 76 to 65, with at least the triple axel and the first triple flip triple loop looking clean and rotated to me and many others: Eurosport for one. It seemed that because of these highly questionable calls, she lost almost 7 points and she still won by almost 10. I think she should be complimented for having so much hacked away and still prevailing, instead of being criticized. Maybe, the topic isn't intended to look at the current year or the last two years, so if that's the case I can understand a little more. But, I just feel Mao deserves some more credit for just setting a world record SP and winning her third World Championship, something only 10 other women in the sport have done.
    Thank you !!
    She has so many qualities as a skater (especially her beautiful step sequences and her lovely presentation) why focus on only the jumps.
    She was so underscored in Sochi it makes me sad. I felt like her beautiful free program was so underscored, in both technical and component marks (i agree some of her jumps were UR, but her 3-3 was clearly rotated). I really loved the way she made her program look so dramatic but so light at the same time. And i don't hate Sotnikova for that, it just makes me sad she didn't get what we know she deserved.
    I also was amazed by her short program at worlds. It was a piece of heaven !

Custom Title
    I have to admit that I thought I had entered the wrong date on a search engine when I read the title of this thread- perhaps I had mistakenly entered 2011 or maybe 2012 after the NHK trophy when Mao had just a few clean triples, or NHK trophy 2010 with 2 falls and popped singles. But, when I realized it was April 2014, I wondered if the title should have been "What went right with Mao Asada's jumps?, or "Mao Asada has really improved her jumps." especially after she just had the most successful year of her or most anyone else's career: Grand Prix Final and World Champion, and she couldn't have gotten a Gold Medal in Sochi even if she had had a great SP program with the set up that was in position there. Basically, she grabbed all the major Gold that was available. In terms of her jumps, a little anecdotal evidence. My best friend said he liked Mao's program at Sochi the best specifically because of her beautiful jumps compared to all the others. Now, he didn't look at the protocol or carefully observe the rotation. It was just an immediate gut reaction to the power and beauty of the performance before him, and he had never seen her before.

In terms of tech scores at Worlds in the SP, her triple axel, triple flip, triple loop and double loop all received more than +1 GOE overall with the axel and triple loop and double loop receiving more than +1.5. These are very good GOE's. Yet in the spirit of controversy, skating at a similar level overall though admittedly the axel wasn't quite as good in Sochi, the tech panel in Sochi didn't even give her +1 GOE on any jump for what is regarded as her best ever LP performance and the most valuable combo triple flip triple loop was URed, though it looked clean; and at worlds they marked her off 11 points from 76 to 65, with at least the triple axel and the first triple flip triple loop looking clean and rotated to me and many others: Eurosport for one. Because of these highly questionable calls, she lost almost 7 points and she still won by almost 10. I think she should be complimented for having so much hacked away and still prevailing in her third World Championship, instead of being criticized.
    This^

Nobody is perfect, including Mao Asada. But looking at her achievements this last year or two, adds a healthy dose of real-world perspective.

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    I think she should be complimented for having so much hacked away and still prevailing in her third World Championship, instead of being criticized.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I just don't get what's wrong with Mao Asada? If she competes next year will she not be the one to beat? In any competition. What's wrong with everyone else seems just as relevant of a discussion to me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Like I mentioned earlier, if her fundamental technique on the lutz was flawed then she would even do her doubles with a wrong edge, and the fact that she doesn't and doesn't receive an "e" on her doubles show that this issue is more due habit then the technique.

Lipitskaya has plenty of technical issues to deal with, so please spare me your preaching about her "supposed flawless" jumps, can't believe anyone would even compare Julias tiny jumps that barely get in the air to Mao's. A childs jumps to a grown woman. If Julias jumps are soo fast and technique soo good, she should easily be able to do an 3A or quad soon, looking forward to seeing that. Let's continue this discussion once she has
    Julia should count herself lucky if she in a few years still has half her jumps, and by the time she begins to grow she will need every bit of her fast rotation to survive.
    It's a lot easier to do a 2Lz and avoid an edge call. Most elite skaters can do doubles in their sleep. That doesn't really say anything.

I didn't say Julia's technique was great. I simply used her as a counter example to illustrate the issue Mao has IRT URs due to her delayed rotation in her jump.

I think you need a serious chill pill, and you seriously need to actually read what you're responding to before having a verbal BM in the thread...

Custom Title
    Nothing went "wrong". Some coaching changes were necessitated as a result of her mother's illness. She re-worked techniques because she realized she may not be getting full marks. She lost her mother and still carried on, winning yet more titles and medals. Despite the nightmare of the Sochi SP with her losing face and failing to deliver Olympic gold she went out in the FS and had the performance of her career, then won a third world title on home ice. She headlines her own show and has arguably eclipsed national hero Midori Ito to become her country's single most iconic skater. She is a total boss and a magnificent champion.

The title of this thread should be: "What did Mao Asada do RIGHT when everything else seemed to go wrong for her?" and list / celebrate her accomplishments.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Nothing went "wrong". Some coaching changes were necessitated as a result of her mother's illness. She re-worked techniques because she realized she may not be getting full marks. She lost her mother and still carried on, winning yet more titles and medals. Despite the nightmare of the Sochi SP with her losing face and failing to deliver Olympic gold she went out in the FS and had the performance of her career, then won a third national title on home ice. She headlines her own show and has arguably eclipsed national hero Midori Ito to become her country's single most iconic skater. She is a total boss and a magnificent champion.

The title of this thread should be: "What did Mao Asada do RIGHT when everything else seemed to go wrong for her?" and list / celebrate her accomplishments.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    Had to edit original post - it was a third world title on home ice.

Custom Title
    She changed from a more natural technique of "feeling" to a more technical technique that goes against her natural tendencies.
    It looks like she has less speed because she has added transitions between almost all of her jumps compared to the basic crossovers she used to do between elements. I wish she would have less of these transitions and more crossovers to generate speed like Kostner does. Replace the meaningless transitions with fewer, more meaningful ones - like in her 2008 programs.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    It's a testament to Mao's almost boundless natural talent and her habit of working like an ox that despite all the flaws mentioned in this discussion, she still managed to win her 3rd World title 8 years after her senior debut at age 23, long after the growth spurts. It probably would've been a much easier path to at least 5 World titles and 1 OGM if the problems were fixed in her novice days, but she's done well enough for herself already.

Banned
    Yeah. I love Mao and her style. Yes, she is not the best refined skater, and her jumps are not text book perfect, but she does have her own unique style. I think she needs to let go of the pressure, and finish off her competitive career. It would only make sense.

Rinkside
    Olympic Silver Medalist
    3 time World Champion
    4 time Grand Prix Final Champion
    First single skater who won all the GP events.
    3 time Four Continents Champion
    6 time National Champion
    First woman who landed three 3As in a competition
    SP's World Record holder

This is the career of the skater some people wonder what went wrong with her.
    I don't think there are skaters who don't have any problems to be solved.

Banned
    To be honest. Although her achievements are so great, but everyone was watching figure skating so closely is because of the rivalry between Yuna and Mao. It was a beautiful story, but I wish it could gone better at the end. I think Mao's goal was to beat Yuna as Yuna beat her at Vancouver. She was hungry for it more than Yuna. At the end, it wasn't all about the medals, but to finish what was started. This rivalry and friendship started since their junior years, and they themselves pushed to become better skaters because they know their rival is practicing harder. I wish there was a better finale.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast