What went wrong with Mao Asada? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What went wrong with Mao Asada?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
She didn't get the scores she deserved in Sochi either... :scowl:

I still don't think she was gonna break the world record at Worlds. Maybe she should've/could've broken it in Sochi, but being so far behind in the SP likely didn't make a good impression on the judges. Her component scores were really low.

But yes, those UR calls Worlds were harsh! I remember watching the video and seeing her TES plummet like hailstones. I was going :unsure: :jaw: the whole time.

CarneAsada

Medalist
..With one less triple and a stumble? I don't agree at all
Yes, there was one less triple and a big stumble. -4 points for omitting 3T (or less if you agree it was < in Sochi), -1.5 for GOE. But the 3A at Worlds was better, the 3-3 was better, and the camel spin was better. GOE adds up.

gotoschool

Medalist
She didn't get the scores she deserved in Sochi either... :scowl:

I still don't think she was gonna break the world record at Worlds. Maybe she should've/could've broken it in Sochi, but being so far behind in the SP likely didn't make a good impression on the judges. Her component scores were really low.

But yes, those UR calls Worlds were harsh! I remember watching the video and seeing her TES plummet like hailstones. I was going :unsure: :jaw: the whole time.

I agree with this. Since 2007, 7 out of the last 8 world champions have gone to Asada, Kim or Ando. I think the ISU is purposely trying to lower her scores or those of other Asian skaters, through tech calls and to give Russians like Lipnitskaya a boost to break the Asian monopoly on Gold. Since the gutting of Mao's tech scores didn't work, the triple axel and triple flip triple loop were not ur at Worlds,, it's now time to come up with new harsher edge and ur rules, and to levy these penalties on those considered to have a history of ur problems whether they really do now or not, conveniently this strategy can be used on the main East Asian threat left: Mao Asada. If she wishes to continue, she will now have to handle the stress of watching her tech scores plummet even more, even if she skates a very good or outstanding performance. Then, if a Russian doesn't fall, they can sweep in for the Gold. I don't want to see it this way, but this is what I believe based on the scoring and placements at Sochi and Worlds.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I agree with this. Since 2007, 7 out of the last 8 world champions have gone to Asada, Kim or Ando. I think the ISU is purposely trying to lower her scores or those of other Asian skaters, through tech calls and to give Russians like Lipnitskaya a boost to break the Asian monopoly on Gold. Since the gutting of Mao's tech scores didn't work, the triple axel and triple flip triple loop were not ur at Worlds,, it's now time to come up with new harsher edge and ur rules, and to levy these penalties on those considered to have a history of ur problems whether they really do now or not, conveniently this strategy can be used on the main East Asian threat left: Mao Asada. If she wishes to continue, she will now have to handle the stress of watching her tech scores plummet even more, even if she skates a very good or outstanding performance. Then, if a Russian doesn't fall, they can sweep in for the Gold. I don't want to see it this way, but this is what I believe based on the scoring and placements at Sochi and Worlds.
Korea's next hope, So Youn, has perfect jumping technique. I am sure ISU can't do anything to keep these Asian ladies off the podium if they keep improve at this rate.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Sotnikova's absolutely ridiculous win at the Olympics and Lipnitskaya's ridiculous scores all season would seem to indicate this as well. The reason they werent keen on giving a longtime European favorite like Kostner the Olympic gold as they knew she was retiring soon, so she also wouldnt fit in with the whole plan.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Kind of off topic but do you feel like Mao's FS score at the '14 Worlds was purposely held down so she wouldn't also break the FS and total score WR as to motivate her to come back and not retire?

Well, I agree that she was underscored both in Sochi and at Worlds (in the FS) and that maybe some of the judges could have done this intentionally (we know how things works in this sport) but calling all this a "plan" in favour of the Russian girls is a bit too much, isn't it? :slink:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Especially considering the ISU would welcome back Asada with open arms. She is one of the most well liked stars of the day. She alone would help ticket sales anywhere in the world. Shocked and disappointed by some posts over here.

Jump

Rinkside
Especially considering the ISU would welcome back Asada with open arms. She is one of the most well liked stars of the day. She alone would help ticket sales anywhere in the world. Shocked and disappointed by some posts over here.

Which is why I'm wondering if her FS score was intentionally held down at the '14 Worlds in Japan. ISU could use Mao. They need a veteran star for the new girls to measure up to and validate the passing of the torch. Japan Fed really needs Mao to keep skating. Miki and others have retired. Mao makes huge amount of money for the Japan Fed with her sponsorships and fan interest. It is in the best financial interest of the ISU and the Japan Fed that Mao sticks around. By rewarding Mao with the SP record but withholding the FS and the total score records, they can entice her to stay so that she can go for the records. If she had won her 3rd World Championship with all three records, it might have prompted her to retire at the top. Now her decision is tougher. Perhaps the Japanese tech controller had an incentive to downgrade her.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Especially considering the ISU would welcome back Asada with open arms. She is one of the most well liked stars of the day.

Yes I bet Cinquanta is begging her to continue behind the scenes. I wouldnt be surprised to see her scores go up if she does continue to.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully Mao makes decisions based on health and happiness and not out of a need to prove something. I see her being above that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Which is why I'm wondering if her FS score was intentionally held down at the '14 Worlds in Japan. ISU could use Mao. They need a veteran star for the new girls to measure up to and validate the passing of the torch. Japan Fed really needs Mao to keep skating. Miki and others have retired. Mao makes huge amount of money for the Japan Fed with her sponsorships and fan interest. It is in the best financial interest of the ISU and the Japan Fed that Mao sticks around. By rewarding Mao with the SP record but withholding the FS and the total score records, they can entice her to stay so that she can go for the records. If she had won her 3rd World Championship with all three records, it might have prompted her to retire at the top. Now her decision is tougher. Perhaps the Japanese tech controller had an incentive to downgrade her.
Okay, one of the most amusing conspiracy I have ever read!!!:popcorn::popcorn:
I can image Speedy crying and kneeling before Mao and said: "Please stay with us for 4 more years or ISU will bankrupt!!" :laugh::laugh:

thom

Rinkside

100% agree. And what went wrong with Mao Asada? NOTHING. It's simply called an interesting career full of peaks and valleys.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Okay, one of the most amusing conspiracy I have ever read!!!:popcorn::popcorn:
I can image Speedy crying and kneeling before Mao and said: "Please stay with us for 4 more years or ISU will bankrupt!!" :laugh::laugh:

and I can see Mao saying "you should have thought of that when you had the fixed Sochi judging panel put up a 142 for my 155 free skate in Sochi." Then again probably not, she is too classy for that.

Meoima

Match Penalty
and I can see Mao saying "you should have thought of that when you had the fixed Sochi judging panel put up a 142 for my 155 free skate in Sochi." Then again probably not, she is too classy for that.
Samsung (Yuna's sponsor) is one of the biggest business in the world, yet they couldn't keep Yuna from being robbed either. What do you expect? I am so amused by ISU, for not rewarding these 2 ladies for all of their efforts at Sochi. Especially they also have biggest sponsors behind their backs. :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While I was the one who brought up "new edge rules might be an attempt to retire Mao," I think it's stretching to say it's some far-reaching anti-Asian conspiracy wrought by Russians/Europeans. There were reasons (not ones I find justifiable, but reasons) behind her Sochi and Saitama scores. Her Sochi SP left her so far behind that the judges weren't well-disposed toward her in the LP, imo. And she was out of medal contention anyway, so they kinda... scored her like they didn't care? And she handily won Saitama anyway. I think the technical caller for the free skate was simply overzealous and insane.

Also, as much as I love Mao, she's not such a dominant force that the ISU must get rid of her to let the Russian babies have any chance. She can be inconsistent much of the time. Yulia, if she survives puberty, is definitely a threat to Mao with or without a European conspiracy backing her. Mao is the one to beat right now, but not so much that all of Europe would gang up to get rid of her. :laugh:

I dunno what she can do going forward, with the new edge rules. Her flutz seems like a lost cause in the vein of Chan's triple axel. While this may be a stupid strategy considering she's already 23, I think she'll need to keep her triple axel going forward, and work on landing it consistently/rotating it. It won't be easy, but she'll need it if she can't fix the flutz.

minze

Medalist
While I was the one who brought up "new edge rules might be an attempt to retire Mao," I think it's stretching to say it's some far-reaching anti-Asian conspiracy wrought by Russians/Europeans. There were reasons (not ones I find justifiable, but reasons) behind her Sochi and Saitama scores. Her Sochi SP left her so far behind that the judges weren't well-disposed toward her in the LP, imo. And she was out of medal contention anyway, so they kinda... scored her like they didn't care? And she handily won Saitama anyway. I think the technical caller for the free skate was simply overzealous and insane.
Also, as much as I love Mao, she's not such a dominant force that the ISU must get rid of her to let the Russian babies have any chance. She can be inconsistent much of the time. Yulia, if she survives puberty, is definitely a threat to Mao with or without a European conspiracy backing her. Mao is the one to beat right now, but not so much that all of Europe would gang up to get rid of her. :laugh:

I dunno what she can do going forward, with the new edge rules. Her flutz seems like a lost cause in the vein of Chan's triple axel. While this may be a stupid strategy considering she's already 23, I think she'll need to keep her triple axel going forward, and work on landing it consistently/rotating it. It won't be easy, but she'll need it if she can't fix the flutz.

Dont think so. If Mao puts toghether what she put at worlds, how will they justify the Russian's winning. Because even with errors if we want to be fair, she SHOULD have cushion points in PCS against any of the Russians. So she is a big threat to the babies
Also, when Yulia was been scored correctly, she could not beat a Mao with mistakes. Yulia proved her self this season with her consistency. More power to her, but she overscored grossly this season.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But Mao's not gonna put together two (near) perfect performances all the time.

I have no issues with either Mao or Yulia winning for the next quad. Best wishes to both of them.