Skating Season withdrawal help forum | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Season withdrawal help forum

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Well if you think about the lack of ice rinks and the lack of fs funding plus their incompetence of mediating whatever has happened to their speed skating team (victor ahn vs. the team), they kinda do....

noskates

Record Breaker
Karne - have NO problem agreeing with you and do most of the time. Right now our one divergence would be "the adorable Max!" Not on that page my dear. Although as I posted some time ago, I met Max in Oakland last year about this time in Dreams on Ice. He has a beautiful smile, is very friendly, has sparkly eyes, but his skating just doesn't do it for me.

I wasn't originally going to SOI because the tickets are really ridiculously expensive but when I found out Jason would be there bought tickets rather quickly and without regret. Having Josh there is a bonus. I've seen one of his programs on the televised abbreviated version of SOI and he was amazing!

My theory about the sudden strength of the Russian women is that they all came up at the same time! Said differently, there's been a drought for many years and I imagine the Russian Federation put a lot of responsibility and pressure on the Russian coaches to rectify that situation. Hence - at some point a bunch of them would have to mature in skating at the same time. Could be wrong though.

desertskates

Medalist
Noskates, that's a really good theory on why so many young Russian girls arrived with a huge bang all pretty much at the same time. One thing's for sure, it'll provide tons of entertainment for skating fans to see who will come out on top!

Meoima

Match Penalty
My hope for next season is that Anna Pogo will get more assignments, she impressed me in worlds 2014.
But I also hope she will have better music and costume. :scowl:

I like Tatsuki's short program very much. But I don't like his firebird. :laugh: I call it flappy bird, sorry Tatsuki. It's not only him, though, why does all the firebird program have to be that litteral?:think:
I love Stravinsky but I don't think that music is suitable to skate along. Stravinsky is a curse to me!
Anyways, it's just the same as I dislike Hanyu's Juliet dying program so much. :unsure: I hope Weir will stop designing for the kid from now on.

I hope PChan will come back. :cry:

On a funny note, this is also PCHAN from a comic book I like, e he he he he: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/180/4/4/p_chan_wallpaper_by_erik_schepers-d3kggv2.png

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm looking forward to the next quad.

There have been years of dominance by a few skaters/teams in each discipline, and it looks to me as though we're about to hit a period of more wide open competitions.

Except for V/T, I don't see any other discipline in which the podiums will be easy to predict... of course, Hanyu hasn't sealed the deal with me yet... I see him as vulnerable.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yulia hasn't done with puberty yet so I don't know for sure, even though I love her.

Adelina is often vulnerable outside of Russia. So let's see if she can survive next season with Radionova going senior.

If PChan comes back next season, he would bring some balance to the men field I suppose. People still need him as the man to beat.

It's true that Hanyu is still vunerable, especially those costumes :biggrin: but his self-confidence has a major boost this season so maybe he will be less tedious in the long program. He often starts slowly at the beginning of the season so I don't expect him to show us promising program in Skate Canada or Skate America yet.

Mao still has some chance for another season with her 3A. But the new rule is against her. :think:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I hope we can see some incredible rivalry between the Russian ladies in the upcoming quad. Maybe they'll push the sport forward the way Yagudin and Plushenko did back in the day. I'm worried about Mao because of the new edge rules. Maybe she needs to bring back two LP 3As. I really want her to return though.

PChan's not gonna be the one to beat if he comes back, unless Hanyu implodes. Hanyu's incredible triple axels allow him to maximize points better than Patrick. Patrick dominated all those years because no one else was constantly throwing down two quads. Now Hanyu, Fernandez, and Machida have two+ quads... and better 3As to boot. Patrick should hope for a rule change that stops Hanyu from doing the choreographed 4S fall strategy. :biggrin:

V/T will continue dominating pairs, though I have high hopes for Aliona and Bruno Massot. I may be a V/T fan, but I really want more medals (maybe even OGM?) for Aliona. She's truly a special pairs skater.

Dance is the field that's most wide open, imo, between D/W and V/M leaving, and I/K splitting. I think it's a golden opportunity for all the teams out there next season to make an impression on the judges and set themselves on the path to dominance. There's no better time than now.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sandpiper, you make some interesting points:

I share your enthusiasm for the Russian ladies. I'm also interesting in seeing Gracie Gold's development, as well as Polina's. There are things that I admire about Ashley, but my gut tells me that her chances for a World podium have come and gone. Who knows about the Japanese... but someone will step in and fill the void. There's too much money to be made by a Japanese lady for someone not to be the new craze. Additionally, there's the Chinese, and up and coming Korean... and who knows who else is flying under the radar.

Men: In addition to Hanyu, Fernandez, Ten, possibly Chan... I think this will be the quad when the American men become a force again. Brown, Farris, particularly, and Max Aaron will improve as well. The young Chinese skater is beginning to come into his own.

Ice dance will be fun to watch. I can't wait.

Pairs: My least favorite discipline. Assuming V/T last another four years, they should dominate, I suppose.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I hope we can see some incredible rivalry between the Russian ladies in the upcoming quad. Maybe they'll push the sport forward the way Yagudin and Plushenko did back in the day. I'm worried about Mao because of the new edge rules. Maybe she needs to bring back two LP 3As. I really want her to return though.

PChan's not gonna be the one to beat if he comes back, unless Hanyu implodes. Hanyu's incredible triple axels allow him to maximize points better than Patrick. Patrick dominated all those years because no one else was constantly throwing down two quads. Now Hanyu, Fernandez, and Machida have two+ quads... and better 3As to boot. Patrick should hope for a rule change that stops Hanyu from doing the choreographed 4S fall strategy. :biggrin:

V/T will continue dominating pairs, though I have high hopes for Aliona and Bruno Massot. I may be a V/T fan, but I really want more medals (maybe even OGM?) for Aliona. She's truly a special pairs skater.

Dance is the field that's most wide open, imo, between D/W and V/M leaving, and I/K splitting. I think it's a golden opportunity for all the teams out there next season to make an impression on the judges and set themselves on the path to dominance. There's no better time than now.

The Russian nation of ladies is gonna be blood bath, unfortunately Adelina is likely to dominate I suppose, given the fact that she is Tat's favourite. :unsure: I hope Mao fix her edge if she comes back.

PChan is still much loved by the judges, between him and Hanyu the judge might find it hard to choose. But between him and Javi and Machida, I doubt that the judges wouldn't choose him, given the fact that his basic skating skills are still superior to them. What a pity it seems he will stay out of the field for at least another year.
Hanyu has the problem with his 3flip and 4S, I don't know if he will fix them next season, or just go on with them and add another 4 loop.

Men field is getting more exciting, now that all the young men have quads but lackluster choreography:sarcasm:. If PChan stays away for too long, he might fall behind.

I hope the Shibs will rise next season, now that their coach will have more time for them, with D/W and V/M leaving.

As for Aliona, I am very excited for her new costumes. :popcorn: She is never boring to watch.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I hope we'll see 3As (and even 4Ts?!) from the women. Probably hoping too much, but it looks like the right time--intense same-country rivalries benefit the sport. I dunno about the American ladies... I agree Ashley's time has likely passed, even though I love her and would much prefer her as leading US lady over Gracie. But I don't get good vibes from Gracie either. She doesn't seem consistent enough to challenge the Russians.

Chan can probably win over Javi and Machida. But Hanyu will be "the one to beat." Not that Patrick can't beat him, of course--but the points seem stacked against him at this point. He's not consistent enough to take advantage of Hanyu's mistakes. Jason Brown's success depends heavily on a) can he get the quad b) how will the quad affect the rest of his skating (because the quad takes a lot out of you and you're not gonna do the quad, be done with it, and get on with the rest of the routine like nothing happened ;)). Time will tell if he becomes Patrick Chan or if he wanders around in half-quad limbo.

Meoima

Match Penalty
How much the quad affect the whole program? I mean, is there any document about how much impact the skater have to suffer from a quad?

And Plushy is dreaming about a five quad program in the future. :biggrin: I suppose human body has its limit.
So anyone knows how many quads a skater can do consecutively? 5 quads at once? :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Joubert has talked about how much easier everything is once you take the quad out. Easier to do the other elements well, add transitions, ect. I also noticed how Plushy's spins are often better in show numbers than they are in competitions, though that could just be because he's more focused on getting the levels/positions while competing.

If Plushy became ISU president, the first thing he'd do is remove the Zayak rule for quads, lol. Then enter the competition himself so he can finally do that 3-quad LP. :laugh: :laugh: (Honest answer: I don't know how many quads the human body can handle. Though I admire Plush's belief in the sport and young skaters, I think Timothy Goebel might be right on this one--we're not quite at the limit, but we might be close. Jumps under IJS still haven't gotten back to where Plushenko and Yagudin were in 2002).

noskates

Record Breaker
I think where Chan bests others is in his skating skills. I'm sure some/many will disagree with me but he looks stunning on the ice when he has a good piece of music to skate to. I think in addition to his inconsistency this season, his LP was dreary and not suited to a male skater. I loved his Aranguez and he could really get into it. I've said before, I don't enjoy watching Hanyu skate because he's "unfinished!" I dont' know if he needs to put some weight on that skinny frame, get better costuming, or what but right now he's just a jumper IMO. I want a well-rounded skater. Lambiel, Jeremy when he's "on," Yagudin, Johnny Weir (scoff not - he was graceful and lyrical, mostly before Tarasova) Farris, Brown, etc. etc. I don't want to see just jumps. I do hope Patrick comes back.