Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    This is WAAAAYYYY off topic, but since you were talking about actors, I was wondering if you realised that British Eurosport's figure skating commentator Simon Reed is the younger brother of the late actor Oliver Reed.

I know we don't get to see Simon on screen, but if you saw him, you would know instantly that he was Oliver's brother:

Simon
    Oliver

Just thought you would find this interesting.

CaroLiza_fan
    I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.... they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton.... they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.
    And Michael Caine. Can't leave him out! Thank goodness he's still with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And Michael Caine. Can't leave him out! Thank goodness he's still with us.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    I certainly do. Oliver Reed, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton....they don't make them like that anymore; hardcore working class Brits (the British Isles anyway) who knew how to quote The Bard and live the life.
    Not only The Bard...I fell in love with Dylan Thomas thanks to a high school English teacher who played Burton's recording of "A Child's Christmas in Wales" for us. Lordy, what a voice! I'd follow it into Hades and back.

Update: the 2017 Worlds will be in Finland, likely Helsinki.

Yay for me as it's only an hour or so by train from where I live!

But was this the reason Finland (and Sweden, who was also bidding) voted to keep anonymous judging............shame on them!

ETA: Also, Great Britain voted against, so Glasgow lost the bid because...........

Custom Title
    I would have loved Worlds in Glasgow :( At least they are still in Europe. Helsinki will be a lot more expensive and Glasgow would have been a nice change. Perhaps the whole Scottish independence campaign made Glasgow Worlds a liability?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Perhaps 2018 in Glasgow!

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I would have loved Worlds in Glasgow :( At least they are still in Europe. Helsinki will be a lot more expensive and Glasgow would have been a nice change. Perhaps the whole Scottish independence campaign made Glasgow Worlds a liability?
    I hope so! I don't think the indy campaign would have made a difference, I suspect it really comes down to a hallway meeting along the lines of "So you're bidding for 2017? Are you voting against anonymous judging? Ahaaaaaaaa..." *makes note in little black book* "....lemme get back to you on that!" *pulls Finland rep's sleeve* ..."So, you're bidding for 2017....."

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Perhaps 2018 in Glasgow!
    Let's hope so!

Congrats to Finland for 2017. That said, I hope that Glasgow gets to host it eventually (how about in 2018?)!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5