Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017 | Golden Skate

Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

Meoima

Match Penalty
Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

The National Ice Skating Association (NISA) is bidding to bring one of the biggest and most prestigious annual skating events in the world to the UK for the first time in almost 20 years.

NISA has submitted a bid in partnership with Glasgow City Council, Glasgow City Marketing Bureau, EventScotland and UK Sport to host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 in Glasgow. This strong partnership is built on a wealth of major event experience and a passion for ice skating.

A decision by the International Skating Union (ISU) is expected to be made after the organisation’s congress taking place in Dublin from 9 to 13 June.

Bringing the World Championships to the UK would enhance the new investment that NISA is making into developing talent and growing participation.

Click here to read more: http://www.aroundtherings.com/site/...Championships-to-Glasgow-in-2017/292/Articles

GF2445

Record Breaker
Thumbs up. Great Britain might not be the skating powerhoise it was but my goodness their commentators are brilliant!
Im all for it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes, yes, yes, please!!!!!!

Yes, I'll vote for that!!!! :agree: :biggrin:

Glasgow would be perfect for me!!! Just a short flight from Aldergrove to Prestwick, or a ferry from Larne to Stranraer, and I'm there in no time!!!

And even better, the ISU congress is in Dublin!!! So, I can go down there and try to bribe the delegates to make sure it comes to Glasgow!!! ;) :laugh:

I was gutted when I didn't get to Sheffield for Euros a couple of years ago, so this would more than make up for it.

And hopefully by the time 2017 comes, Karly Robertson will have improved to a level where the Scottish fans will be able to properly cheer for her.

It's just a pity that Jenna is no longer competing, as I have always wanted to hold up an Ulster flag for her...

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
Wow so it's Sweden, Finland, Russia and Scotland in contention now!
I'm rooting for Finland because it would be sooo cheap for me to go then, but Scotland would definitely be an excellent choice as well! By then Scotland will be an independent country as well (I hope)!

Alain

Match Penalty
Scotland will be busy with Independance feast, the Russian top guy said they had other events to run. I am for Helsinki or Stockholm.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would love for Scotland to do it, but I think it's unlikely. I'd certainly prefer them over Sochi though. I think Finland is the best bet at this point. Quite a few skating fans there (especially known for synchro)... perhaps Kiira might come back? One can hope. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
I think that's terrific! Would LOVE to see Worlds be somewhere in Great Britain.

TMC

Record Breaker
Scotland will be busy with Independance feast, the Russian top guy said they had other events to run. I am for Helsinki or Stockholm.

I think independence is exactly the reason they want the comp there: they will want to put on international quality events as soon as they can in order to "establish" themselves as a legit country

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think independence is exactly the reason they want the comp there: they will want to put on international quality events as soon as they can in order to "establish" themselves as a legit country
I would love to go to Scotland. The price would be less costly than Sochi. :yay:

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Awesome! I'm always happy for (new) countries that rarely/never host competitions to host a big event - it's great to boost skating in that country, and as thom said, a neutral location is always good

desertskates

Medalist
Very cool news! It's a little far for me, but Glasgow is a wonderful city to visit. So many things to do and the friendliest people. I think they'd put on a great event!

anyanka

Record Breaker
Excellent! Now we have Glasgow, Sochi, Stockholm and Helsinki. Nice to see other countries besides the usual host nations / cities taking an interest in this event. Makes me hopeful about the future of the sport. :)

Perhaps Barcelona can try for 2018 once they see how 2014 GPF pans out?

justastro

Rinkside
This is great news indeed. Finally a city relatively easy for me to get to without it having to cost a fortune :clap: I hope they get it!