Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

glam

On the Ice
Stockholm will hold 2015 European Championships, so I don't think they'll get the Worlds too.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Stockholm will hold 2015 European Championships, so I don't think they'll get the Worlds too.

You never know. Sweden is renowned in the community for being great organisers. Last time a championship was held in Sweden they made a huge profit.

First Skate

Rinkside
This would be fabulous! Gymnastics worlds are in Glasgow in 2015 so I'll hopefully be making the short trip over both times :love:

mary01

Final Flight
That would be soo awesome, finally a World championship that's not too far away and cheap to travel to, I'm all for it. It almost sounds too good to be true.

cooper

Medalist
i hope they give glasgow a chance.. or helsinki..

but speedy and co will award this to sochi.. they have to..

mary01

Final Flight
i hope they give glasgow a chance.. or helsinki..

but speedy and co will award this to sochi.. they have to..

Why would they have to do that, here is finally a chance to get new fans and audiences to the sport, and it's not like it's cheaper for glasgow to hold it, so speedy would not be loosing anything by allowing the championships to be held in a new place.

cooper

Medalist
Why would they have to do that, here is finally a chance to get new fans and audiences to the sport, and it's not like it's cheaper for glasgow to hold it, so speedy would not be loosing anything by allowing the championships to be held in a new place.

because it's $peedy... and there's no more explanation to that.. :laugh:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Glasgow would be so convenient for me, I really hope they get it.

Stockholm would be next best, not too far and I've never been to Sweden - I'd love an excuse to go there. (Assuming I don't make it there for European championships, I'm not expecting to)

Helsinki would be good too. I love that place, love the food, and Finland is a beautiful country with trees everywhere - I mean, EVERYWHERE.

Sochi... I won't even consider going there - it's just too far for me, and too "middle of nowhere" :-/

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Anywhere but Sochi. Hackensack, NJ. The Gobi Desert. Mars. Really, anywhere BUT Sochi. ESPECIALLY for the Worlds that determines the number of entrants for the next Olympics.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This would be fabulous! Gymnastics worlds are in Glasgow in 2015 so I'll hopefully be making the short trip over both times :love:

Didn't know the Gymnastics Worlds were going to be in Glasgae!

Wow! It's going to be a busy few years for the city if Glasgow does get the Figure Skating:

2013: Netball World Youth Championships
2014: Commonwealth Games
2015: Gymnastics World Championships

2017: Candidate for Figure Skating World Championships
2018: Candidate for Summer Youth Olympics

Is there anything on in 2016 that I don't know about?

When I went looking online there now, I found that Glasgow also hosted a Junior World Championships in Track Cycling in 2013. But I decided to put the Netball on the list, because that is the one I already knew about! ;) (Over the years, there have been a few girls that I went to school with that have represented Northern Ireland in Netball, at various age levels. So, because of this, I have got into the habit of keeping an eye on what is going on in Netball).

Obviously, this year's Commonwealth Games are going to be the big one for Glasgow. And it will be on the success of them that the city will be judged as a host for major sporting event.

Who would have thought that this industrial city would become a venue for so many major sporting events?!

CaroLiza_fan

Big Deal

Final Flight
Excellent!
I'm happy with any solution which is different than Russia (especially Sochi).

The only problem is that far too many countries are depending on the Russian coaches and they will do their "homework" before the voting......
Still, there are some hopes to get a rather clean pre-Olympic World in 2017.

TMC

Record Breaker
Obviously, this year's Commonwealth Games are going to be the big one for Glasgow. And it will be on the success of them that the city will be judged as a host for major sporting event.

Who would have thought that this industrial city would become a venue for so many major sporting events?!

I thought it was hilarious when they planned to demolish those highrises to celebrate the Commonwealth Games! What a silly idea :laugh:

I lived in one of those buildings for a summer right after uni! Glaswegians really do have their own language - I'd lived in Edinburgh for four years by that time and was pretty fluent in English, but it took me about six weeks before I could somehow understand what the people were saying in Glasgow :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
Yes, and I've heard they produce some rather good whisky, too.

Bring on the Laphroaig! :yay:

Laphroaig is delicious. On our trip to Edinburgh last year I discovered a new whiskey: Ardbeg. It's very smooth and easy to drink, and has now replaced Laphroaig in my booze cabinet.

It would be great if Glasgow could host Worlds. (It would be great if I could go!) Helsinki and Stockholm sound like good choices, too.