Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scottish bid to bring World Figure Skating Championships to Glasgow in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    i hope they give glasgow a chance.. or helsinki..

but speedy and co will award this to sochi.. they have to..
    Why would they have to do that, here is finally a chance to get new fans and audiences to the sport, and it's not like it's cheaper for glasgow to hold it, so speedy would not be loosing anything by allowing the championships to be held in a new place.

Quote Originally Posted by mary01 View Post
    Why would they have to do that, here is finally a chance to get new fans and audiences to the sport, and it's not like it's cheaper for glasgow to hold it, so speedy would not be loosing anything by allowing the championships to be held in a new place.
    because it's $peedy... and there's no more explanation to that..

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    because it's $peedy... and there's no more explanation to that..
    Let's hope that Russian fed has ran out of money...

Custom Title
    Glasgow would be so convenient for me, I really hope they get it.

Stockholm would be next best, not too far and I've never been to Sweden - I'd love an excuse to go there. (Assuming I don't make it there for European championships, I'm not expecting to)

Helsinki would be good too. I love that place, love the food, and Finland is a beautiful country with trees everywhere - I mean, EVERYWHERE.

Sochi... I won't even consider going there - it's just too far for me, and too "middle of nowhere" :-/

Custom Title
    Anywhere but Sochi. Hackensack, NJ. The Gobi Desert. Mars. Really, anywhere BUT Sochi. ESPECIALLY for the Worlds that determines the number of entrants for the next Olympics.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Skate View Post
    This would be fabulous! Gymnastics worlds are in Glasgow in 2015 so I'll hopefully be making the short trip over both times
    Didn't know the Gymnastics Worlds were going to be in Glasgae!

Wow! It's going to be a busy few years for the city if Glasgow does get the Figure Skating:

2013: Netball World Youth Championships
    2014: Commonwealth Games
    2015: Gymnastics World Championships

2017: Candidate for Figure Skating World Championships
    2018: Candidate for Summer Youth Olympics

Is there anything on in 2016 that I don't know about?

When I went looking online there now, I found that Glasgow also hosted a Junior World Championships in Track Cycling in 2013. But I decided to put the Netball on the list, because that is the one I already knew about! (Over the years, there have been a few girls that I went to school with that have represented Northern Ireland in Netball, at various age levels. So, because of this, I have got into the habit of keeping an eye on what is going on in Netball).

Obviously, this year's Commonwealth Games are going to be the big one for Glasgow. And it will be on the success of them that the city will be judged as a host for major sporting event.

Who would have thought that this industrial city would become a venue for so many major sporting events?!

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Excellent!
    I'm happy with any solution which is different than Russia (especially Sochi).

The only problem is that far too many countries are depending on the Russian coaches and they will do their "homework" before the voting......
    Still, there are some hopes to get a rather clean pre-Olympic World in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Obviously, this year's Commonwealth Games are going to be the big one for Glasgow. And it will be on the success of them that the city will be judged as a host for major sporting event.

Who would have thought that this industrial city would become a venue for so many major sporting events?!
    I thought it was hilarious when they planned to demolish those highrises to celebrate the Commonwealth Games! What a silly idea

I lived in one of those buildings for a summer right after uni! Glaswegians really do have their own language - I'd lived in Edinburgh for four years by that time and was pretty fluent in English, but it took me about six weeks before I could somehow understand what the people were saying in Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    Yes, and I've heard they produce some rather good whisky, too.

Bring on the Laphroaig!
    Laphroaig is delicious. On our trip to Edinburgh last year I discovered a new whiskey: Ardbeg. It's very smooth and easy to drink, and has now replaced Laphroaig in my booze cabinet.

Custom Title
    It would be great if Glasgow could host Worlds. (It would be great if I could go!) Helsinki and Stockholm sound like good choices, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Does anyone know when the host city will be officially announced?
    In June.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    it took me about six weeks before I could somehow understand what the people were saying in Glasgow
    Just 6 weeks? That's impressive!

A heavy Glaswegian accent is extremely difficult - unintelligible even - to most native British people from other areas, for their whole lives. Even without slang and swearwords.

People from Glasgow who appear on the news are likely to be subtitled...!

Not that everyone from Glasgow has such a strong accent... and nor is a Glasgow accent is any worse than say, a very heavy Geordie (Newcastle) accent, very heavy Yorkshire accent, etc etc... O_o

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Just 6 weeks? That's impressive!

A heavy Glaswegian accent is extremely difficult - unintelligible even - to most native British people from other areas, for their whole lives. Even without slang and swearwords.

Not that a Glasgow accent is any worse than say, a heavy Geordie (Newcastle) accent, Yorkshire accent, etc etc... O_o
    I love the variety of British accents. I hope they never get smoothed out into BBC Standard. Now that Scotland (the Brave!) will be an independent nation, I feel more assured that its accents will remain gloriously unaffected by homogenization.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I love the variety of British accents. I hope they never get smoothed out into BBC Standard. Now that Scotland (the Brave!) will be an independent nation, I feel more assured that its accents will remain gloriously unaffected by homogenization.
    There is no guarantee that Scotland will become independent. There will be a referendum and all the polls have so far indicated that the No vote is winning.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Glaswegians really do have their own language - I'd lived in Edinburgh for four years by that time and was pretty fluent in English, but it took me about six weeks before I could somehow understand what the people were saying in Glasgow
    Yes, I can vouch for both those statements!

Like anywhere, there are variations in the accent in Glasgow, which means some are quite easy to understand, but others are impossible. Unfortunately, I can't think of anybody famous with a VERY strong accent off-hand.

But, to use some examples from snooker (well, the World Championships are on at the moment), I find John Higgins (from Wishaw) easier to understand than Graeme Dott (from Larkhall). But, even then, I can still understand them.

Then there are those Scots that you would think were English from their accent. I know they are not from Glasgow, but snooker legend Stephen Hendry (from Edinburgh), or F1 driver David Coulthard (from Twynholm, Kirkcudbrightshire) come to mind.

Not that everyone from Glasgow has such a strong accent... and nor is a Glasgow accent is any worse than say, a very heavy Geordie (Newcastle) accent, very heavy Yorkshire accent, etc etc... O_o
    Personally, the accents I find hardest to understand are Geordie and Welsh.

For Geordies, I find Ant McPartland and Declan Donnelly are easy enough to understand. But most of the time I cannot understand Cheryl Cole at all. I was delighted when she was dropped from the X Factor a few years back, so you can imagine my distress now she is coming back!

For a milder female Geordie accent, you need look no further than some-time Eurosport figure skating commentator Joanne Conway! Here she is getting interviewed by Simon Reed after winning the 1990 British Championships.

As for the Welsh, Lloyd Jones probably isn't a good example because he has been among French people for so long. But you can still hear a strong-ish Welsh accent when he talks. Here is an interview from the 2012 Worlds.

Up to about 10 years ago, yes. But nowadays, political correctness means that strong accents are not subtitled anymore. And so now, you haven't a clue what people with a strong accent are saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    No, there's nothing to worry about on that front. BBC Standard all but disappeared in the early 1990's. And the success of silly reality programmes like "The Only Way Is Essex" and "Geordie Shore" in more recent years has made regional accents very fashionable, and nowadays people are proud of them.

CaroLiza_fan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast