Skaters usually do several Olympics. It seems to me that in 2010 a lots of them still wanted to remain for another four year and as a results there is so many retirements/splits now, but the good news is that if all those young ones start now, after the next Olympics it will be less again. Also, in pairs and dance there is often a bigger age gap so that increases the chance that the older one may want to retire while the younger one may want to continue.
Not so many ladies and men are retiring. (I think comparable amount as in 2010).
I suspect there will be a few more ladies and men retiring in the weeks ahead, including on the Canadian team.
Originally Posted by hanca
Not everyone has made their announcements yet.
Yuzulia & Ruslena Team
Any news on Castelli and Shnapir yet?
Yuzulia & Ruslena Team
Good luck to team Italy. I would like to remember them like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbOGOTHLsxc
Word is that Pushkash/Guerreiro have split. She has quit due to lack of funding. Don't know what he will do. IMO, he should find another partner and skate for Australia.
Yup the field in Russia is going to be deep, no breaking through there.
Originally Posted by chuckm
The door was wide open for them to break through next season, given the splits of Russia's #2, #3, and #4 - if S/B had any issues whatsoever, they could have easily medalled at Nationals, especially if Y/M choose to stay junior (no idea why).
Originally Posted by bramweld
Oh well :( I always kind of liked them, so it's a shame
The bigger problem is that there are so few good female dancers in Russia. Sinitsina has already been snatched. Ilinykh too. Yanovskaya, Monko, and Stepanova look happy where they are. The rest are not anywhere near Jon's level
And Castelli-Shnapir are the next couple that didn't survive this crazy off season.
SO of the top 12 at the Olympics we have:
1. V/T: still together, claim competing next season.
2. S/K: still together, obviously assumed competing next season
3. S/S: done. he retired, she's now with Masson.
4. P/T. done and done.
5. MT/M: Done. both looking for a partner.
6. B/L: Done. Both repartnered, he must sit out next year.
7. D/R: Still together and assumed competing next season.
8. P/Z: Still together and assumed competing next season.
9. C/S: Done. Both looking for a partner.
10. J/C: Still together and assumed competing next season.
11. B/H: Strongly rumored to be splitting, no confirmation one way or the other.
12. Zhang/Batholomy: Still together and assumed to be competing next season.
So basically half these teams are done, and there is a lot of space at the middle and top left to be filled.
1. D/W: Strongly assumed retired.
2. V/M: Will eat my own foot if do not retire.
3. I/K: Done. Both have new partners.
4. P/B. Done.
5. B/S. Still together and definitely will be back next season dancing joyously across the ice to countless medals.
6. C/L. Assumed going to continue but not 100% certain. No official announcement either way.
7. W/P. Still together.
8. Chock/Bates. Still together.
9. Shibs. Still together and I believe officially confirmed will continue.
10: Cooms/Buckland. Did they announce a split or am I just hoping/dreaming?
So basically, a lot of room for people to float to the top in this discipline...
- * -
I don't think Coomes/Buckland would split unless they both retire, since they're an off-ice couple.
For now. As we know, off-ice relationships don't always last, either.
Originally Posted by blue_idealist
I almost can't believe Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS and Dylan MOSCOVITCH split. They were my favourite pair for Canada! Hopefully they find good parters soon.
And now Castelli and Shnapir! The U.S. just can't get any traction in pairs. Aaag!
Svinin gave an interview where he confirmed they finished putting together Stepanova and bukins free program.
Ksenia Monko gave an interview that said they have begun putting together choreography. So that's 2 teams that are still together.