Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
If they were relatives, then this pair would be like Romeo and Juliet on ice, given that Tat said Morozombie had moral issues. Lol

Yes! I saw that interview with Tarasova a few weeks ago, and she sounded pretty mad! I couldn't understand Russian of course, so I had to read the translation. ;)

OrdinaryDreamer

Rinkside
It seems like there have been an unusual number of splits during this off-season. That might just be my perception of it, though.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It seems like there have been an unusual number of splits during this off-season. That might just be my perception of it, though.

I think the splits are ALWAYS higher after an Oly cycle. I am not sure how this one stacks up against the 2010 splits, but I bet they are similar. This IS way more splits than in a normal year for sure though.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think the splits are ALWAYS higher after an Oly cycle. I am not sure how this one stacks up against the 2010 splits, but I bet they are similar. This IS way more splits than in a normal year for sure though.

I'd say the split in pairs is a bit higher than after 2010
2010 was more in Ice Dancing

hanca

Record Breaker
Skaters usually do several Olympics. It seems to me that in 2010 a lots of them still wanted to remain for another four year and as a results there is so many retirements/splits now, but the good news is that if all those young ones start now, after the next Olympics it will be less again. Also, in pairs and dance there is often a bigger age gap so that increases the chance that the older one may want to retire while the younger one may want to continue.

Not so many ladies and men are retiring. (I think comparable amount as in 2010).

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Not so many ladies and men are retiring. (I think comparable amount as in 2010).

I suspect there will be a few more ladies and men retiring in the weeks ahead, including on the Canadian team.

Not everyone has made their announcements yet.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Word is that Pushkash/Guerreiro have split. She has quit due to lack of funding. Don't know what he will do. IMO, he should find another partner and skate for Australia.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Word is that Pushkash/Guerreiro have split. She has quit due to lack of funding. Don't know what he will do. IMO, he should find another partner and skate for Australia.

Yup the field in Russia is going to be deep, no breaking through there.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Yup the field in Russia is going to be deep, no breaking through there.

The door was wide open for them to break through next season, given the splits of Russia's #2, #3, and #4 - if S/B had any issues whatsoever, they could have easily medalled at Nationals, especially if Y/M choose to stay junior (no idea why).
Oh well :( I always kind of liked them, so it's a shame

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
The bigger problem is that there are so few good female dancers in Russia. Sinitsina has already been snatched. Ilinykh too. Yanovskaya, Monko, and Stepanova look happy where they are. The rest are not anywhere near Jon's level

hanca

Record Breaker
And Castelli-Shnapir are the next couple that didn't survive this crazy off season.

tulosai

Record Breaker
SO of the top 12 at the Olympics we have:

1. V/T: still together, claim competing next season.
2. S/K: still together, obviously assumed competing next season
3. S/S: done. he retired, she's now with Masson.
4. P/T. done and done.
5. MT/M: Done. both looking for a partner.
6. B/L: Done. Both repartnered, he must sit out next year.
7. D/R: Still together and assumed competing next season.
8. P/Z: Still together and assumed competing next season.
9. C/S: Done. Both looking for a partner.
10. J/C: Still together and assumed competing next season.
11. B/H: Strongly rumored to be splitting, no confirmation one way or the other.
12. Zhang/Batholomy: Still together and assumed to be competing next season.

So basically half these teams are done, and there is a lot of space at the middle and top left to be filled.

Dance:

1. D/W: Strongly assumed retired.
2. V/M: Will eat my own foot if do not retire.
3. I/K: Done. Both have new partners.
4. P/B. Done.
5. B/S. Still together and definitely will be back next season dancing joyously across the ice to countless medals.
6. C/L. Assumed going to continue but not 100% certain. No official announcement either way.
7. W/P. Still together.
8. Chock/Bates. Still together.
9. Shibs. Still together and I believe officially confirmed will continue.
10: Cooms/Buckland. Did they announce a split or am I just hoping/dreaming?

So basically, a lot of room for people to float to the top in this discipline...