Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Splits, retirements, and new teams 2014-15

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
An interesting new couple could be Simon Shnapir and Ashley Cain, Simon has the height for Ashley. I would love to see that. Do not know if it wold work but could be interesting

I really liked the partnership Ashley had with Joshua Reagan during her last stint in Pairs. But, personally, I would prefer to see her stick to Singles skating. She is too good a Singles skater to be lost to Pairs.

Yes, there are going to be mroe opportunities to do well in Pairs skating with all these partner changes going on at the moment. But, Ashley will not be at an advantage - she be in the same boat as everybody else, trying to get used to a new partner.

And yes, it will be harder to get into the American Ladies team since Ashley Wagner looks like sticking around, and now that Polina E. has established herself as a genuine contender. But (and I know I am going to get shouted down here), there is always the Australia option...

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: Just noticed - 1,250th post! :rock: :party2: :hb:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Dylan Moscovitch has been practicing with someone new according to this article
http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports-story/4530153-one-last-hurrah-for-moore-towers-moscovitch/
it's rumoured to be Lubov Iliusheckina

Huh. She tried to partner with Yannick Kocon of France a year ago but at that time Russia would not release her. I wonder if that has possibly changed or if he will switch to compete for Russia. I will say their chances in Canada right now seem better than in Russia in terms of international assignments, but who knows.

I would like to see her skate again.

hanca

Record Breaker
Huh. She tried to partner with Yannick Kocon of France a year ago but at that time Russia would not release her. I wonder if that has possibly changed or if he will switch to compete for Russia. I will say their chances in Canada right now seem better than in Russia in terms of international assignments, but who knows.

I would like to see her skate again.

I think that may have been 2 years ago she tried with Kocon. And in regards to her chances to be released, considering that the last time she competed for Russia internationally is Autumn 2011, they can't keep her forever. They will have to release her at some stage. And now when the Olympics are gone and she does not look like immediate threat to Russian pairs, I think her chances are pretty high. Isn't there some provision that if a Federation doesn't release a skater, the skater can turn to ISU and ask for her?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Confirmed Retirements/Taking a break/Splits Thread for Singles, Pairs and Dance

Time to compile a list.
Let's try to keep it a list of confirmed retirements/rest next season/splits. If there is a split you can then write who their confirmed or speculated new parter is or whether one is retiring etc.

Let's Begin!

guenever

Rinkside
From Skate Canada's news page:

Retired- Amelie Lacoste

Split- Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill (she is retired & he is looking for a new partner)
Split- Kirsten Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch (she's had tryouts with two Canadians, presumed to be Marinaro and Tran; he says here that his new partner is a Russian who hasn't competed recently)
Split- Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers (both appear to be looking for new partners, he plans on taking a year off from competition)

Sara

On the Ice
Jenna McCorkell UK (retired)
Brian Joubert FRA (retired from single skating)
Tomas Verner CZE (retired)
Florian Roost SUI (retired)
Qing Pang/Jian Tong CHN (retired)
Daria Popova/Bruno Massot FRA (split) Massot teamed up with Savchenko.
Vera Bazarova/Yuri Larionov RUS (split)
Ekaterina Pushkash/Jonathan Guerreiro RUS (split)
Ekaterina Ryazanova/Ilia Tkatchenko RUS (split). Tkatchenko teamed up with Tobias.
Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir USA (split)
Lorenza Alessandrini/Simone Vaturi ITA (split). Vaturi teamed up with Ryazanova.
Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov RUS (split). Katsalapov teamed up with Sinitsina. Ilinykh teamed up with Zhiganshin.
Victoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin RUS (split)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert FRA (retired from single skating)
Ekaterina Ryazanova/Ilia Tkatchenko RUS (split). Tkatchenko teamed up with Tobias.
Lorenza Alessandrini/Simone Vaturi ITA (split). Vaturi teamed up with Ryazanova.

So my questions are:

1) If Ilia and Isabella team up, will she have to gain Russian citizenship? Does he have a passport elsewhere? Or will they try to break through in the US and he switches over? With D/W retired now the top slot in the US is up for grabs (if Tobias and Tkachenko are able to step it up), or will they try to go for Russia's team (which is likely to be very competitive)? Or will he be able to compete for Lithuania?

2) Will Katya R then team up for Italy?

3) I'm still unsure if I read this right that Joubert will become a pairs skater, then? Or was that partly speculation?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Joubert as a pair skater seems odd to me. He has neither the size nor the skating skills to be as good a pairs skater as he is a singles skater IMO. His strength, the jumps, won't help much even if he can find a partner who can do a sbs 3Lz with him.

aramina

Rinkside
So my questions are:

1) If Ilia and Isabella team up, will she have to gain Russian citizenship? Does he have a passport elsewhere? Or will they try to break through in the US and he switches over? With D/W retired now the top slot in the US is up for grabs (if Tobias and Tkachenko are able to step it up), or will they try to go for Russia's team (which is likely to be very competitive)? Or will he be able to compete for Lithuania?

They would be able to compete for either country, depending on the specific rules of the country's skating federation. The only competition that requires a skater to have citizenship for the country they represent is the Olympics AFAIK.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I didn't think if Isabella and Ilia competing in the US, but they might choose that route. I don't think they're going to pass C&B or the Shibs, and it's questionable whether they'd even beat Hubbell and Donahue or Aldridge and Eaton, but still, it looks like less competition than in Russia. Since the Shibs considered retirement after this season they may not be around that much longer, although maybe they have made a decision to continue until 2018. I wonder how hard it would be for him to get American citizenship, if that would even be possible before the next Olys.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I didn't think if Isabella and Ilia competing in the US, but they might choose that route. I don't think they're going to pass C&B or the Shibs, and it's questionable whether they'd even beat Hubbell and Donahue or Aldridge and Eaton, but still, it looks like less competition than in Russia. Since the Shibs considered retirement after this season they may not be around that much longer, although maybe they have made a decision to continue until 2018. I wonder how hard it would be for him to get American citizenship, if that would even be possible before the next Olys.

Very hard. 5 yearsminimum after becoming a permanent resident.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Tiffany Zahorski wrote on her Instagram that she's in Moscow and her new partner is Guereiro. Any clue which country they'll try to skate for?